The Golden Girls

• Please log in to reply

11468 replies to this topic

Jacy

Jacy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:08 AM

Does anyone watch the OC? There were tons of references to the Golden Girls on the episode last night! Several characters were fans and watched a Golden Girls marathon on Lifetime. I was so excited to tell my husband when he came home very late last night but he just rolled his eyes. He doesn't understand how great the girls are.

Back to this show, does Lifetime ever air marathons? I can't think of a better way to spend the day! Also, is this show ever coming out on DVD? Apparently more people love it (and are of the DVD age) than I realized!

Sunday Moon

Sunday Moon

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 12:00 AM

WOW! Ok, I thought I was the only GG fan. I used to watch this every Saturday night w/ my grandma. My cousin and I even named the "girls" after older women we knew (we were always with my grandma and her friends during the summer). This show is like comfort food to me. No matter how bad a day I have had I feel better watching this show.

I love the eppy when Blanche is interviewing prospective roommates (when Dorothy is supposed to remarry Stan) and the lady says her husband passed. Rose asks, "Passed what?" Dorothy answers, "A slow moving Winnebago!" Hee! My fiancee thinks I am nuts but occasionally I see him glancing at the show when I watch it.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

My husband always protests and rolls his eyes when I turn on the 'Girls' and often asks sarcastically, "Is there one you haven't seen yet?" But somehow, if he stays in the room - and he often does - he invariably ends up ROTFL. Usually over Sophia.

masterlurker

masterlurker

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 10:14 AM

Yay! I thought all the Girls' fans had left. I think my favorite line is when Rose proclaims "It's like, life is a giant weenie roast and I'm the biggest weenie!" I love it so much, I have it downloaded.

AngelaLucas

AngelaLucas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

I have seen all of these shows so many times and my husband always complains .... yet he laughs when it is on. I think Sophia is his favorite.

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

I'm so happy there's all this love for the girls! I always watched with my grandma. Now the reruns are even better because I'm old enough to get more jokes. My husband does the same thing, AngelaLucas and TudorQueen. Dorks. I wonder if Lifetime has seen a surge in ratings because of that O.C. episode...

Edited by jennifuh, Jan 19, 2004 @ 12:57 PM.

Harlow80

Harlow80

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

What is up with Lifetime MOVING our girls??? The Nanny S-U-C-K-S! I can NOT listen to that woman talk!!

"Dorothy, jealousy is an ugly thing.... and so are you in anything backless"

Love it when Sophia is mean to Dorothy!!!!!!!!!!

Lone Pine

Lone Pine

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 9:32 PM

I am sad that I had to hunt around for this thread since it used to be in the top few quite often. I can't help but think that it's slowed down since Lifetime is trying to kill it--not just with The Nanny now, but by cutting the 11 p.m. showing (standard for years and years!) and overlapping it with a movie. I've noticed the Laverne and Shirley eps are taking the place of TGG, too, not The Nanny or movie times.

Doesn't this network know why most of us tune in so much? Sophia couldn't put a curse on the show like Lifetime is.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 7:30 AM

Love it when Sophia is mean to Dorothy!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I and I love when Dorothy's mean to Rose, when she asks her to pass her the newspaper or a book or something, and then slaps her round the head with it. And Rose always falls for it.

I came across an old episode on tape the other day and it was one of my favourites - when the girls are mistakenly imprisoned for prostitution and one of the hookers tries to start a fight with Blanche and Dorothy steps in saysing ‘Listen, you punk! If you want to fight with someone, you'd better fight with me!’ and the hooker backs down. Hee! Even criminals are frightened of Dorothy.

Pepsi Princess

Pepsi Princess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 9:01 PM

Although I LOVE my girls, I am thoroughly pissed at Lifetime for:
  • 1. pre-empting them so much
  • 2. moving them around so much
  • 3. all the slicing and cutting they do in order to squeeze in more commercials.

during the opening credits, they show the girls sitting on the couch talking and Blanche is wearing a red, long sleeved dress and while talking, she pulls her hand back up into the sleeve, making a sign like it was about an armless person. Was that in a real episode, as I have never seen that scene anywhere.

I vaguely remember this, but I have no clear memory of the ep. It is probably cut out of one of the eps that is already being shown. I will have to watch for that dress. There is another episode where Blanche is describing how the cop told her that her husband, George, died over the phone while crunching on chips. "...totally dead ma'am *CRUNCH* *CRUNCH*!!!" I haven't seen this part in many many years, but I am sure it is part of an ep I have already seen, because I read all the synopses and have seen all the eps that were listed.

Man, I HATE Lifetime!!!

snarkastic21

snarkastic21

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 9:27 PM

Hey all :) I'm a newbie on the Golden Girls page, I usually lurk over by reality TV. I didn't bother to read all the pages before asking this question, but someone please tell me if anyone has mentioned the massive continuity problems on this show? Don't get me wrong, I love it and I think it's hysterical and I watch it with my 18 year old brother all the time but it drives me nuts with the continuity.

Jazper

Jazper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 11:29 PM

Yeah, I and I love when Dorothy's mean to Rose, when she asks her to pass her the newspaper or a book or something, and then slaps her round the head with it. And Rose always falls for it.

What's funnier is when they pull a fast one and go for a loophole. Like when Dorothy says, "No, the Personals..," or when she swears she won't do it and rhythmically passes it to Blance for her to do the deed.

Chesty LaRue

Chesty LaRue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 11:45 PM

Love this show! Does anyone know anything about the possibility of them putting this on DVD? It they can have Designing Womenon DVD surely they can have the Golden Girls!

DoctorGlatisha

DoctorGlatisha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2004 @ 6:07 PM

Edited by DoctorGlatisha, Dec 15, 2005 @ 9:39 PM.

Pepsi Princess

Pepsi Princess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2004 @ 7:42 AM

OK, I signed. Release the Golden Girls on DVD. NOW!

Harlow80

Harlow80

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2004 @ 1:41 PM

snarkastic21: You're not alone. Love this show but there is MAJOR continuity problems beginning with the fact that their kitchen window would look right into their bedrooms, not outside.
Plus, their children: ages, genders, number... the guy who played Miles was on before as the first person Rose was with after Charlie...etc.

"... you're cuter than an intrauterine"

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2004 @ 1:57 PM

Great. Now I have their Miami songs stuck in my head.

buzz792

buzz792

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2004 @ 3:28 PM

Great. Now I have their Miami songs stuck in my head.

I loved the episode with the Miami song contest. Dorothy and Rose at the piano is great and the other plot in that episode when Big Daddy introduces his new fiancee to Blanche.

Dorothy: "Blanche, say hello to Big Mommy."

Also, in the end when they're singing their second place Miami song and Sophia is sitting there bobbing her head back and forth--she looks so adorable! I love the girls, but you're right, Lifetime is slowly taking them away it seems. Why?

carrlos00

carrlos00

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2004 @ 10:37 PM

I couldn't find this thread, it used to be one of the popular ones.

Anyway, I just signed the petition, I love Golden Girls a lot, my favorite parts are Rose's and Sophia's stories. I love Dorothy's face when Rose starts telling a story. Ok, basically I love almost everything about GG, one of the best comedies for me. The series finale was so heartbreaking, but still very funny.

Edited by carrlos00, Apr 26, 2004 @ 10:38 PM.

btcpossee

btcpossee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 7:23 AM

"... you're cuter than an intrauterine"

Oh man - good times, good times! Hee!

WTHL

WTHL

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 11:13 AM

The episode that I love is when Blanche finds out her great-grandmother was a yankee and jewish. Dorothy keeps repeating "you're a yankee" and then finishes it off by saying that "you're that yankee doodle kind of gal!" I crack up everytime i see it.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 8:02 AM

Can anyone remember the exact quote from this one scene where Blanche is trying to help Dorothy by telling her a story from Blanche's past and Dorothy says she doesn't want to hear about Blanche being pawed at by some hillbilly with 4 first names under a magnolia tree? Blanche expresses offense and Dorothy tells her to go ahead and tell the story but avoid using words like "tarnation" and something else? I can't remember that one.

neophoenix

neophoenix

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 10:54 PM

can't remember the quote word for word, but Dorothy tells her to avoid using words like "tarnation" and "catfish." I don't know why but everytime I hear her say that to Blanche, I crack up.

Beingewe

Beingewe

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 12:43 PM

I guess it's because I work funny hours, but it seems like TGG are on all the time (to my great amusement!). It's on in the morning at (EST) 9, 10, 12 and evening at 6, 6:30. 9 and 9:30. :o) Since I work second shift, I watch it all morning. :o)

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 5:12 PM

everytime I hear her say that to Blanche, I crack up.

I also enjoy when Dorothy refers to Blanche's "Big Daddy" as "Grand Dragon." Hee.

You know, I could never figure out when Dorothy wore heavy cowl-neck sweaters and leather boots all the time when they live in Miami. I'm from Florida, and it's hot as shit there.

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 8:05 PM

heavy cowl-neck sweaters and leather boots

Word. Miami is totally hot - at least that's what I hear. And those boots were fugly as hell. But I love Dorothy, no matter what she wears, for the awesome way in which she delivers all her snarky lines.

I also signed the petition to release the GG's on DVD. My husband and I, when we used to work the dinner shift at this restaurant when I was in college used to watch the Golden Girls every night together. Good times.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 8:44 PM

I'm always surprised by the number of heterosexual males who watch and enjoy the Golden Girls. Now that it's been mentioned a few times on The O.C., I'm hopeful that it will be released on DVD and enjoyed by more people.

lyra407

lyra407

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 9:55 PM

Yay! The GG thread is back up top. I love that line about the hillbilly cousins. My ex, who hated the show cracks up everytime he hears it. I also like Blanche's comeback line. It was something like, "I'm sorry Dorothy. But we can't all come from places as socially acceptable as Brooklyn." The way she delivered it just cracked me up.

Harlow80

Harlow80

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 12:20 PM

Is it just me, or did they also have a lot of "flashback" episodes?? Everytime there was a "crisis" they would sit at the kitchen table, eat cheesecake, and reminisce about all the other times they did the same thing. I think the newer ones actually flasbacked to flashback episodes!!

This, of course, does not diminish my love for the show or that salt and pepper-haired, slouch boot wearing big purse having giantess!

Lacke Bo Backe

Lacke Bo Backe

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

Is it just me, or did they also have a lot of "flashback" episodes??

I noticed that too. My grandma likes to talk about the past too - maybe that's why? Because the elderly like to flashback to the old days? No? I'm the only one who thinks this? (runs and hides)

One of my favorite scenes, and I believe it was a flashback scene was when the girls were catering a wedding, and Rose suggested they sing a work song to make the time go faster. I love the part where she sings, "Gonna stuff a chicken DOOOOWNNN to Mississippi." Something like that. That always cracked me up.

ETA: Or maybe it was "Gonna TAKE the chicken DOOOWWWN to Mississippi. (I'm going insane)

Edited by Lacke Bo Backe, May 7, 2004 @ 7:53 PM.