Katie Holmes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16988 replies to this topic

Bronwen

Bronwen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:00 AM

She really does look a million times better than she did on the last couple of years of DC. Even though she loved working on the show, the daily grind of shooting a TV series must have taken its toll on her. She always looked better in pics that were taken on hiatus, and now we can see that she's able to maintain a healthy appearance even when filming movies for extended periods. I hope she stays looking this good and, most of all, that she keeps her weight up.

My only complaint about Katie's clothes in the photos is the brown boots with the black leather skirt and black blouse. is it just me, or did that look awful? I thought it belonged on the "fashion faux pas" page of a magazine.

Wysteria

Wysteria

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:23 AM

HOLMES IS WHERE THE HEART IS

Link To Article

CONGRATULATIONS to Katie Holmes. The sexy star of TV's Dawson's Creek got engaged to boyfriend Chris Klein on Christmas Eve.

Klein, best known for his roles in the American Pie trilogy, popped the question at her home in Toledo, Ohio, with a fabulous $500,000 diamond ring.

And, bless him, he asked for her dad's permission first.

The couple, who have been together for five years, have yet to set a date for the big day but insiders say they won't be rushing anything.

A source close to Katie said: "It was so romantic. Katie had tears in her eyes and she said yes immediately.

"Chris was nervous but it helped that her father had already given him the go-ahead to ask.

"Katie couldn't belive it when she saw the huge diamond ring, she was choked."

Uh, yeah. Wow. About $500,000 shy of J.Lo's rock, but dude, that's otay with me.

Did I forget to say wow?

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:16 AM

Aw. I hope despite being an old fashioned kinda guy, CK1 can handle it if his wife makes more dough that he does 'cause so far that's how it's lookin'. Although I suppose if he had any problems with that, he would've dealt with them by now. It's not as if it's something new that she's more famous than he is.

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:32 PM

I guess this ought to go on the stupid question thread, but why does everyone seem so down on Chris Klein? I'm not a fan of his at all, but I know nothing of him at all. Katie has obviously found something to like about him for several years now. And, how many men in her age bracket are going to be as famous as she is or make as much money as she does?

My only problem with her marrying him is that it ruins my personal preference that she and Josh could get back together!

StaceyRosie

StaceyRosie

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, New York Yankees baseball

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:26 PM

I love the white dress with the red flowers she's wearing in the last picture of the group of 6 in avocato's post. Fabulous.

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

My only complaint about Katie's clothes in the photos is the brown boots with the black leather skirt and black blouse. is it just me, or did that look awful? I thought it belonged on the "fashion faux pas" page of a magazine.

I noticed this too. I am in no way an expert about fashion, but I would have been afraid to wear that outfit and I wondered, "Is that okay? Brown boots with black skirt?" LOL But I am an old jeans and old t-shirt kind of person 99.9% of the time. I only get dressed up if I absolutely must--and then I always feel like such a goof. Maybe Katie knows something we don't. hehe

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

Personally, I never, ever wear brown and black together, as I don't like it - but I don't think it's a "no-no" as far as the fashionistas are concerned.

I agree about Katie looking great lately. She doesn't look as thin and tired.

ETA: I just took a better look at the pic, and I think the skirt and top are actually a dark brown, not black.

Edited by ScarletGirl, Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:14 PM.

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

I just took a better look at the pic, and I think the skirt and top are actually a dark brown, not black.

Either way, she looked absolutely gorgeous in all those photos. When a person looks like Katie, I think she can wear whatever she wants. hehe

elmo

elmo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:10 PM

A $500,000 ring? Is it just me or is that a tad excessive?

ChynaWhite

ChynaWhite

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:29 PM

I'm happy for them, but I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that KH was none-to-subtly hinting she was getting anxious waiting for CK1 to propose in her last Allure interview. I don't presume to know the details of their relationship or mean to suggest she forced his hand, but I found that revelation sort of odd from someone who seems to want to keep her relationship private.

Edited by ChynaWhite, Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:31 PM.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:00 PM

$500,000 ring?

Yeah, I'm wondering if perhaps an extra 0 got added there and it's really $50,000 (which would be one helluva nice ring, oh yes it would!)

ShiningBright

ShiningBright

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:36 PM

Isn't the old adage two months' salary? That would be $250,000/month. Now, was he using his salary or Katie's?

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 10:42 PM

Still, Hollywood types spend big bucks on rings. Didn't Kobe Bryant spend $4 million on the diamond ring he got his wife after he admitted that he cheated?

About CK1, I don't mind the guy. I think he's kinda dopey, but it a bumbling idiot kind of way. I think if she's happy, I'm happy for her. It's not often you see stars waiting 4 years to make a commitment, so I hope they've given it enough time to last forever.

And as for her hinting in a recent article, she's been saying things to indicate she was just waiting for him to ask for months. I can remember reading several interviews. So I doubt the article being printed had much to do with the timing. If IMDB's profile of KH is right and they began dating in December 1999, maybe he did it on their 4 year anniversary or something.

Does anyone know how they met? I can't remember if I've ever read that or not.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:30 PM

No disrespect to CK1, but I cannot imagine his bank account is in the same universe as a Kobe, or a Bennifer's - which is why I question this price tag on the ring.

Didn't they meet thru their agents or something like that?

Bronwen

Bronwen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:06 AM

The $500,000 figure came form a British tabloid account of the proposal. I wouldn't put too much faith in its accuracy as the foreign tabloids are even more notorious than the U.S. ones for taking a kernel of truth and filling in their own details to make a story.

Wysteria

Wysteria

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:14 AM

I have to agree with you on that one, Bronwen. However, it does make for some interesting comments from the peanut gallery, though. :)

I'm seriously surprised that our media is not doing a better job of getting a photo of this thing. For the amount of media coverage the engagement alone has been getting, you would think we'd have something to look at as well.

I'm sure we'll know soon enough. ;)

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

ScarletGirl, you're totally right about the bank accounts. Maybe he took out a loan? Just kidding. I would guess more likely the tabloid is wrong. These are the same tabloids that routinely get sued by Nicole Kidman for saying she's breaking up homes. They always end up paying her. They obviously don't know what they're talking about.

As much as I agree, Wysteria, KH and CK1 are still considered low-level starts compared to Bennifer or the Friends gang or someone. Maybe they're not gunning for a photo of the ring as much with this one.

It's kind of funny that when Bennifer told the world what day they were getting married, it was a media hurricane. But JVDB told the world, and obviously they had little to no problems. It's just that level of fame that you're at, I guess.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:34 AM

The thing about KH and CK1 is that they're Hollywood's 'Aw' couple. They always get press for being those two adorable kids in love which would branch them off from the Benifer superstar machine and the Friend's 30 something brigade. I'd say they were one of the biggest IT couples for young hollywood along with FPjr and SMG.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:02 PM

Bronwen, I mentioned the exact same thing about the UK tabloid issue in the gossip thread. It just sounds hugely out of the question!

I agree with what PCF about the photo thing. Considering they just announced a couple days ago, and that they're not A list, I'm actually surprised they've gotten as much coverage as they have. LOL, I wonder, too, if Katie will continue to not even mention CK1's name (or barely) in interviews now. It's gonna be hard to avoid all questions about the wedding.

ETA: Aren't the Golden Globes coming up soon? Katie might be there in support her PC for PoA. If so, not only big photo opp, but heaven help her if Joan Rivers corners her on the red carpet!

Edited by ScarletGirl, Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:13 PM.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

The Golden Globes are Jan. 25. And it would be cool to see KH there.

And, for anyone who is curious, the Oscars air on Feb. 29. I'd bet money that Patricia Clarkson will be a nominee, considering she offered two incredible turns this year (POA and Station Agent) and has been nominated in the supporting actress category of every film award given so far this year. Oscar noms will be announced on Jan. 27.

Edited by Pop Culture Freak, Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:03 PM.

RamonaQ

RamonaQ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:26 PM

I'd say they were one of the biggest IT couples for young hollywood along with FPjr and SMG.

Funny that you should make this comparison just a few posts after someone wondered why there was no love for CK1. From Fametracker

Personally I've got nothing against the guy but he just seems to be the human incarnate of warm milk. Congratulations to them though.

This may be just me but does the whole "ask the father for permission" thing bug anyone else? I've never really gotten that since it seems like it went the way of the dinosaurs once marriage stopped being about the exchange of cattle and property for the bride.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:31 PM

Actually, my bro-in-law asked both my Mother and Father before he proposed to my sister. I mean, they adore the guy (I think my Father would've married him had my sister said no! ;-)), so it was really just a respect kind of thing. I think it's kind of sweet, actually.

Warm milk? Yeah, but some people like that I guess! ;-)

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:04 PM

Funny that you should make this comparison just a few posts after someone wondered why there was no love for CK1. From Fametracker

I noticed the initials WC, was that written by Wing Chun? I know that Sars has written a lot of pieces over there.

CubeReader

CubeReader

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:12 PM

Asking fathers for permission is pretty much the standard thing where I am, from...as Scarlet said, it is a respect thing, more of a gesture than a true asking for permission. [IMO; my dad might not agree.;) He certainly wasn't happy when my sister came home with her first fiancee and announced that they were engaged. Of course, it didn't help that we had only met the guy once, which might explain why he didn't know my dad well enough to know that he would want to be asked permission. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.] Anyway, I doubt the guy would ask if he thought the father would say no (and by that point would know if the parents didn't approve). I do know of one case where the parents said no and the girl went along with it, but there were major control issues in that case.

As for the ring, ITA with not believing the tabloid on that point. I don't know much about CK1's backgound, so he may have family money, but otherwise, I doubt he has been making enough lately to pay for a ring that expensive unless he took out a loan. Has he been in anything in the past two years?

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:42 PM

Don't get me started with the "ask the father's permission" thing. Since they are 24 and 25 and have apparently been living together, it's probably just a formality. But, as a dad, I especially don't feel good about the "goody two-shoes" guys. They always seem to be either boring or deceitful. I would prefer my girls not end up with either category. Hope that doesn't make me seem like a control freak.

hersh

hersh

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:00 PM

ScarletGirl, you're totally right about the bank accounts. Maybe he took out a loan? Just kidding.

LOL!!! Or maybe CK1 hit up JVDB for some cash. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:00 PM

I noticed the initials WC, was that written by Wing Chun? I know that Sars has written a lot of pieces over there.

It was. You can click on the initials, and it takes you to their profile. Wing Chun and Man From F.U.N.K.L.E. write most pieces for Fametracker, and do an outstanding job of it. I love the Fame Audits, and the Galaxy of Fame.

As for CK1, I really don't have an opinion of CK1 having not even seen him in any movie. If he makes Katie happy though, that's wonderful. Count me in the lot that wouldn't want to have the man I'm going to marry ask my dad for my hand. I don't look down on people who do it but I personally feel getting married is my decision, and my parents have nothing to do with it. Anyway, I would be unlikely to marry someone my parents hated since I trust my parents' judgement too much for that. I don't think my dad expects anyone to ask him, especially since I'm 25, and doing my own thing. But if my boyfriend felt it was important to ask my dad, he could go ahead.

Spider Girl

Spider Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:04 PM

Well, Spider Guy asked Spider Dad for permission before he asked me to marry him. Maybe it's a formality (especially in the south, where I live), but my parents would have been pretty upset if he hadn't done it. In fact, he talked to both sets of parents before asking me. For him (and me), it's just a respect thing.

Topic? $500,000 is a lot of moolah...especially when CK1 hasn't been working much of late (at least, not that I've seen). But, seeing as there's a lot of "keeping up with the Joneses" in the celebrity set, I wouldn't be completely shocked. After all, he has had years to save up for it!

Levitate This

Levitate This

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:48 PM

I just read about KH and CK being engaged...I figure that if they're happy together then that's what matters. I've said it before and I'll say it again. For the most part I find CK1 to be pretty blah. Even though I only met him for about 5 seconds at the Toronto Film Festival he was very polite (to this lowly volunteer :") and they seemed...happy. I wish him the best (although there's always going to be this small part of me that roots for a JJ/KH as P/J...but I obviously have issues).

With regards to the asking permission of KH's father...I have to agree with those who figure it was out of respect and more a formality. In Islam you're also expected to ask the family for permission. I'm not sure where it stems from, but I think it has continued as a sign of respect towards the family that you're planning/hoping to be come a part of. Yes it's traditional and can seem strange as if she's some possession, but I don't think that's the intent.

One of my cousin's in South Africa recently proposed to his girlfriend. His parents accompanied him to her home with her parents to ask for her hand.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't really bother me either way...if he had proposed to her, just the two of them or asking her parents...

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:37 AM

I have bolded the most notable portion of this (from IMDB):

Movie stars Katie Holmes and Chris Klein are starting 2004 in style after getting engaged over the Christmas break. The Phone Booth actress and American Pie funnyman have been dating for four years, but have yet not named the date for their nuptials. The loved-up pair are now looking for a movie project, so they can work together. Holmes will next be seen in the comedy-romance First Daughter, while Klein's Sundance film The United States of Leland is schedule for release later this year.

I'm not sure what I think of that. It's really sad sometimes when off-screen love doesn't translate to on-screen. I think Eyes Wide Shut is one of the best examples of that.