Futurama: Take That, You Stupid Corn

• Please log in to reply

6598 replies to this topic

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 4:15 AM

As a non-regular watcher I thought the final episode was sweet, if lopsidedly so...though the death/time-loop part probably did drag on a bit.  But by the end I was kind of hoping for a parallel universe copout or something, just so Fry and Leela could stay together (though I suppose the reset-button--literally--nature of the whole thing was the show being largely true to itself to the end).

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 6:53 AM

I can't believe it's over. Like, really over. Sniffle. Thank you to the show's creators, writers, producers, etc etc for creating and maintaining such an awesome animated series.

I agree with those that feel that The Devil's Hands was better than last night's finale but I still enjoyed it. Although I do wish Bender had said "let's go alreeeeeaaaaady" one last time. :-)

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

The "A Night to Dismember" time loop middle section went on way too long. And I was a little shocked by Fry's suicide (attempt?): he's usually the kind of guy who slinks off and mopes for a couple of years.

But the final section was worth the wait.   Ken Keeler brought the poetry.  One last trip through this crazy world, with Fry and Leela as our guides--the way it should be.

Bye guys.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 8:08 AM

Okay, "Avenge Us!" was the best episode card ever.

I loved it.  Futurama managed to take one of the scariest premises of the Twilight Zone (stuck in a frozen world) and make it poignant.  When Fry and Leela were growing old, I was having all sorts of Up flashbacks.  *sniff*  I didn't mind the reset button at the end, since the Professor explained that it would just reset to ten seconds before he invented the time button.  Fry was still planning on proposing to Leela before the Professor showed it to everyone, so they're still ending up together.

Loved the callbacks to the first episodes -- the trip to the moon, Bender sleeping in the closet...oh God, I miss this show already.  Goodbye from the world of tomorrow!

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

I thought it was satisfying and sweet.

Fry's infinite loop of jumping off the building went on a bit too long, though.

The best part was after Fry proposed and walked out of the restaurant, and Leela just sat there silently ... and then the clam coughed. HYSTERICAL.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

Yeah, but the Fry Falling Time Loop went on for so long that Fry, while plummeting to his death, FELL ASLEEP. Heh.

I thought it was a good ending. The only thing I really didn't like was that it was an ending.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

Fry was still planning on proposing to Leela before the Professor showed it to everyone, so they're still ending up together.

There isn't a guarantee they will get married, nothing was ever developed with so many of the other plotlines available.

I normally don't like reset buttons, but I think TPTB were saying if this is really it for the show, then Fry and Leela will get married. Nothing should really change except that there isn't a Time Button. Fry already made the decision to propose and we know Leela says yes.

Fry isn't going to steal a whole bunch of diamonds so probably he won't need as big a clam, so Leela's hand won't get chomped off. His watch won't be wrong and Leela shows up on time like she always did.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

So can someone explain the science behind why Zoidberg didn't have the money when the Professor reset time after taking the money from him?

Time was reset to 10 seconds before, which means there should have been two copies of the money, one that Zoidberg had and one that the Professor had from 10 seconds in the future.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:11 PM

So can someone explain the science behind why Zoidberg didn't have the money when the Professor reset time after taking the money from him?

The professor had the $10 bill safe in the shelter, so its molecules couldn't be sent back in time along with Zoidberg.  There's no duplication involved.  Any matter in the shelter or within a certain radius of the button just doesn't get reversed.  It's also why Fry and Bender couldn't steal an infinite number of diamonds from the shop, though 1 would think Superman would notice his surprisingly small inventory...

The shelter was clever. It felt like a video game, advancing for 8 seconds and then hiding from the time button.

Edited by futurechemist, Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:12 PM.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

The "death" of Farnsworth and the explanation for his survival would make a hard-core math nerd cry tears of joy:  an orthogonally adjacent time continuum.   The temporal gopher holes/tunnels were a truly cool effect.   Nice to see the writers exploring the fringes of science, all the way to the end.

It did segue nicely into the very first episode, which I totally watched even though I have a commercial-free version right at my fingertips.

For a minute, I thought we had an Act IV in a three-act episode.

Watched Space Pilot 3000 for the first time in years, and it's even better than I remembered.   From the beginning, the characterizations were spot on and Fry's 31st century playground was set up perfectly.   Fry and Leela?   It was there from the start.   When Leela tells Fry that she's the only one-eyed alien on Earth, and that she knows how loneliness feels, their eyes meet, and the connection is instantaneous.

But those voices!   I've forgotten how different they were in the pilot.   Katey is Katey, but Fry was a bit more adenoidal, Farnsworth's voice was shakier--and Bender!   Man!   Did John DiMaggio do bourbon shots before he went into the studio?

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

The "A Night to Dismember" time loop middle section went on way too long. And I was a little shocked by Fry's suicide (attempt?): he's usually the kind of guy who slinks off and mopes for a couple of years.

Fry's suicide attempt was a nice callback to the pilot.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

It's also why Fry and Bender couldn't steal an infinite number of diamonds from the shop, though 1 would think Superman would notice his surprisingly small inventory...

That's probably why they went to that guy in the first place. Surely a few pieces of coal missing wouldn't be noticed after a while.

Mz Anthrope

Mz Anthrope

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Today, 09:08 AM

Okay, "Avenge Us!" was the best episode card ever.

COMPLETELY agree!  I had to rewind for my husband as he was looking at my face and saying, "What?  What was that?"  LOVED IT

Futurama has always been one of my favorites.  Incredibly smart - on many levels.  One of those shows you had to WATCH all that was going on, because the nuances were sometimes even better than the surface (a lot like the Looney Tunes back in my day - I'm 47.  Not this edited for PC bullshit now).  I would have liked to have seek Kif this last season, but the Zap cameo was beautiful. 

I loved how they left it off - all future possibilities allowed... and the segue into the first episode.   Like someone had pushed the Time Button for all of us. 

Many thanks to all who brought us this cast of characters and as many episodes as we could get.  Here's hoping it has a reverb...time and time again!

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 7:46 PM

I liked that they went back to the Lunar Park, and that they had to deliver a package to the park, just like in the second episode, and we got to see the Moon Head guy. 

I also liked that they played around with time travel. IMHO, Futurama knowns how to write a really good time travel story, and make it stick. Not just the fact that they can write a very coherent story (and at the end everything makes sense) but they also make their time travel stories to have some meaning within the show. Meaning, that at least someone remembers the events of time travel and that these events do have some consequences. 

Also, I love the Avenge Us card, (and it was written in cartoon blood)!

[quote name="futurechemist"]The shelter was clever. It felt like a video game, advancing for 8 seconds and then hiding from the time button.[/quote]

Lol, the whole concept of having a button that can move time backwards only 10 seconds, felt like a reference to the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time video game, where you got to rewind time (but only a few seconds) when your character died. 

CletusMusashi

CletusMusashi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

I think that the final episode was a good episode. 

I will even grant that it was a good final episode for  Fry and Leela

Unfortunately, when it really comes right down to it, I'm not that invested in Fry and Leela. I like Fry, and I like Leela, and I wish them both well, and if they both actually want to be with each other for some reason other than "it's in the script," then I'm fine with it. But even though there have been many, many, many genuinely moving "love is all you need," episodes about the two of them, when I'm not actually watching those episodes, I don't really cheer for the couple. Because they are not a good match.

First of all, all you need is not love.  Couples with nothing but love are the couples whose story ends with Morbo describing how many pieces the body was chopped into before being fed to the Fleshbeast of Fomalhaut Five. You need to honestly be able to get along with each other. All we really got as "closure" was that, if every single other variable was removed from the world, love would prevail. Wow. Epic romance of the millenia. I mean, if we actually saw a real rapport between them in addition to the romance, great! But ultimately:

Fry is infatuated with Leela because... we all are. She's a hot young Katy Sagal with purple hair and sci-fi mojo, what's not to lust? But he is only in "Troo Luv!!!" with Leela because it's in the script. Why did he dump Amy again? Oh, right, because she was being too clingy. She was apparently infringing on his ability to mac on.. what? Four women in 13 years? He broke up with Amy for a completely random OOC reason because it was the only way the writers could find the reset button to get him pointed back at Leela. 

It's hard to compare... whatever the shipper terms are... Framy and Freela probably... without sounding like I'm some angry fourteen year old girl who wanted Fry and Amy 2geta 4eva! But, honestly... I thought that as long as they were actually acting like themselves, they had more romantic chemistry as a couple than everybody else combined. I would never have even thought of Framy, but once they wrote it, they should have folowed it through. Don't just do half an episode of good character writing and then try to tell me that Fry is the meant for Leela because he's... a puppet of the scriptwriter.

Furthermore.. they're together already. Was there really anybody watching to see if Fry would finally get the girl? And by "get" I am obviously reduced to meaning "marry," because we already know they were having sex, and there's really not much between "have sex with" and "marry," and the choices get even slimmer when it comes to what can be shown on TV. So.. whole episode for closure on them? Not really feeling closed.

Has Hermes beaten the crap out of Barbados Slim yet? Has Kif finally gotten the promotion that makes Zap his bitch? Has Bender gone through a strange programming upgrade, travelled back though time, and become Calculon? Has Scruffy finally reuited with his estranged daughter Minx? And speaking of kids, The Professor has two sons, neither of whom was even in the finale.

Ultimately, I think that, like most series finales, it was a victim of bad timing. They thought many times before that they were about to be cancelled, and kind of blew their wad. And many fine wad-blowings it was. But this time, and I repeat, it was not a bad individual episode, it kind of sucked as a finale. If you want to watch Randomly Gifted Loser gets Hot Girl Who Underestimates Herself, that story is told constantly. And it's usually told better. Don't get me wrong here, I love, for example, the episode where Fry and the Robot Devil switch hands, but we all knew who was going to end up with who in the end, and it wasn't because of good character writing. It was because the writing made it clear that THIS is the correct ending to root for!

If Fry and Leela ever, even after decades of getting wrinkly together, really bantered or acted as friendly with each other as many other character combinations, I would buy them as a couple. But pretty much all of their non-work interaction we ever see is them talking about having a good relationship, not actually having one. That's a big red flag right there. In real life, it either means they're 12 years old or that at least one of them is screwing somebody else. It's just crappy, unhealthy, Twilighty romance writing, and since their ending was pre-ordained anyway by the writing staff, I am ultimately left wondering a lot more than I should be about what happened with the Professor and Mom. Or 'Nda'nda and Lrrr. Or, hell... even Sparkles and Banjo!

Edited by CletusMusashi, Sep 6, 2013 @ 2:50 AM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

Aw, I admit, when Fry and Leela started to age I teared up.  I'll really miss the show. 

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

CletusMusashi, I loved your post.   It was well-written, well thought-out, funny, and respectful to the fans and the creators of the show.   The love for the series and its characters shone through in every line.

I disagree with it 100%.

Well, no, not 100%--more like 80%.   I agree that the Fry/Amy split was handled badly, and there were times during the series when I thought Fry/Leela interaction was like watching a tigress and a poodle work out a relationship.

But these two are a good match, and they have been since the pilot.   I think you vastly underestimate how strongly Leela values the emotional security she gets from Fry.   As I said in a post above, when Leela told Fry about her loneliness as the only one-eyed alien on Earth, their connection was immediate and electric.  She gave up a secure job to throw in with Fry and Bender (and she had no idea that Planet Express was waiting for her five minutes later).  That was one hell of a leap to make for a loser from the Stupid Ages, but Leela saw a kindred spirit in Fry, and she never looked back.

As for Fry and Amy, I never thought too much about it, and apparently, they didn't take it too seriously, either.  Amy was a doctoral candidate, the daughter of the wealthiest land owners on Mars, and she had a real direction in life.   Fry was a delivery boy for Farnsworth.   They made a cute couple, but they had much less in common than Fry and Leela.   It was fun.... and then it was over.   But what was interesting about their relationship was the effect on Leela.

cheerangel

I've always been sort of annoy[ed] by Fry's unwillingness to accept a "no" from asking Leela out- cause in real life that kind of behavior is really not at all funny- but on rewatch I've been surprised. He hardly pursues her at all in seasons 1 and 2. All their early ship teases- the near miss kiss in A Flight to Remember and Xmas Story, were all mutual, and the only jealousy (both times with Amy) is actually from Leela, not him. It makes his later persistence make a lot more sense and be easier to swallow.

The Fry/Amy relationship showed Leela that Fry wasn't a sexless relic from the past--he had some juice.   So when Fry and Amy broke up, why didn't she move in?

Well, let's be blunt--Fry was an idiot.  And a lazy slob.   For a long time, Leela debated whether she could look past Fry's flaws and pursue a relationship.  And she had her own issues to consider--a fear of rejection, of abandonment, an unwillingness to be happy because she didn't want to be hurt.   It took a long time to break down the barriers, but there were a number of red letter days that broke down her resistance:   meeting the married, alternate Fry and Leela in "The Farnsworth Parabox"; discovering her true identity as a mutant, not an alien; and, of course, the dream odyssey of "The Sting", when she held on to her connection to Fry, literally, for dear life.

Besides, I think Fry lost the gormless loser label after the first couple of years of the series.   When the Planet Express crew (including Fry) saved the Earth and/or the universe for the sixth or seventh time, Fry had proven himself a much better man than phony testosterone addicts like Zapp Brannigan (the anti-Fry).  (Granted, Farnsworth and Co. nearly destroyed the universe a couple of times as well, but let's not get into that here...)

By the time we got to the last season, most of those issues had been ironed out.   In the Planet of the Apes episode, Leela seemed to be at peace with herself for the first time in her life.   And if there were any remaining doubts about Fry's loyalty and love, "Leela and the Genestalk" put those to rest.   He was sticking with her, even if she wasn't the hot babe with the beautiful purple hair.   She was Leela, and that's all he ever wanted.

It turned out that Fry was all she ever wanted, too.  I was happy to see them make it official at the end.

Edited by cjl, Sep 6, 2013 @ 5:26 PM.

iamdog

iamdog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

Well that was disappointing. (Read that in Bender's voice.)

CletusMusashi I think you hit the nail squarely on the head and summed up everything that was off about the show to me.

I do love Futurama and I have many fond memories, but no real sadness that it has come to an end. Just a bit of mild disappointment that there was so much more they could have done but didn't do because they were so intent on forcing Fry and Leela together.

BiteMeBilly

BiteMeBilly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

Well, I agree with your post 100%, cjl.  I've always loved Fry and Leela, and you stated why perfectly.  Job well done.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

The "death" of Farnsworth and the explanation for his survival would make a hard-core math nerd cry tears of joy:  an orthogonally adjacent time continuum.

Would that be Minkowski spacetime?  Yes, I googled it, I'm no hard-core math nerd.  (why. o, why, couldn't I be a hard core math nerd `sniff! No, really, 'sniff!)

I was able to watch the episode elsewhere, after having missed it on CC.  There was an odd space of silence after the wedding scene and before the toast on the Vampire State Building.  Was this in the original?

About that 10 dollar bill, shouldn't the Professor have come across it in all his time tunneling?

Kendall95

Kendall95

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

Well, that was a nice finale, but could have been better.  The Fry/Leela romance was always a nice side plot, but it was never the focal point of the series for me, and I was disappointed to see the rest of the Planet Express crew take a backseat in what was the final episode.  Before they met each other and the rest of the crew, Fry and Leela always felt like they were alone, and the crew made them one big crazy family.  That was more important to me than the romance.  So seeing everyone frozen while Fry and Leela had wedded bliss didn't resonate as well as it should have.

However, I think the writers did this because the Fry/Leela pairing was badly done when the show returned.  Since they had another shot at the series, they didn't know what direction they wanted to go, so in one episode, Fry and Leela would be at odds, another, they would be tentatively dating, another, they would act like they'd never been together.  So  this was for the Fry/Leela shippers who wanted to see these two have a happy ending.  Again, no problem with that, but it didn't need to encapsulate the whole episode.  I wish the finale had been an hour so we could have seen most of the crew react to the marriage, but that can't be helped now.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

Futurama cameo in the Treehouse of Horror intro.

CletusMusashi

CletusMusashi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2013 @ 11:50 PM

All hail the Hypnotoad!

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

So, IO9 had a great article about why the number 1729 appears so much on Futurama (and I have to say that Io9 is by far my favorite website to read interesting facts from my favorite shows):

http://io9.com/why-d...a-ep-1445512975

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

The new complete series DVD set comes out this week. I'm excited.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 9:41 AM

Bad news everyone!  The forums will be gone soon.  Hopefully we'll get a forum over a previously tv because even if the show doesn't return, we can still talk about Zoidberg! 

Lois Sandborne

Lois Sandborne

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:15 AM

Yes, after all Zoidberg is the popular one!

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 9:49 PM

You may have lost the forum of your dreams but you still have Zoidberg. You all still have Zoidberg!

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 9:03 AM

FYI, Comedy Central has an app that has Futurama episodes on it.  Or as Stephen Colbert called it - future Simpsons.