Futurama: Take That, You Stupid Corn

• Please log in to reply

6598 replies to this topic

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 12:33 AM

Wouldn't the Planet Express mortgage be pocket change for Amy? And where did all those fans come from who bought the calendars? I agree, these were both okay but not great.

Preview of the anime parody. I'm almost positive the music is Battle of the Planets with a tiny bit changed.

SideshowJed

SideshowJed

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 3:29 PM

I'm almost positive the music is Battle of the Planets with a tiny bit changed.

More like Voltron to my ears.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 4:03 PM

Argh, Voltron. I knew it was something classic.

Amy as Sailor Moon spinning out of control is great.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

I'm glad the show is back. Pretty much I agree about Benderama being better of the two episodes. The first one seemed a little too "sitcommy" and not as sharp as Futurama usually is. Usually the wackiness of Futurama holds up internally, and there were a couple of times where I was saying, "why bother with wings on the ship? They've flown around the planet before." So it didn't hold up for me as well.

Whereas the second one was more in line what I would expect from Futurama, and more of the sci-fi I like, with the nanotech premise and the infinite series joke. I was just fun to see all the characters again. And Zoidberg's wedding album?!

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

Each sub-Bender was 60% of the size of its parent. How small would each have had to be for the series to converge? 25%?

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 1:14 AM

Given the formula the professor showed, and I'm totally riffing off the top of my head, I think you'd have to take the limit of the series and solve for the M0 in the numerator? The limit of 1/2"n is 2 I think, so convergence could be determined by 2*M0 < 1? So less than 50%?

I don't know, but I appreciate the show putting in a fun math problem! And Fry saying, "Don't wait for me."

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 2:26 AM

Wouldn't the Planet Express mortgage be pocket change for Amy?

IIRC, Amy's parents keep her on a tight leash financially. She could have asked for the money, hedged in it being acquired as a loan for the Professor, but I would think that the Professor would either of refused it, said/done something to piss off Amy's family to kill the deal before the money was in the Professor's hands, or Amy probably knew that having to deal with her parents via getting the loan through them, would be more trouble than it was worth......

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

I'm glad the show is back. Pretty much I agree about Benderama being better of the two episodes. The first one seemed a little too "sitcommy" and not as sharp as Futurama usually is. Usually the wackiness of Futurama holds up internally, and there were a couple of times where I was saying, "why bother with wings on the ship? They've flown around the planet before." So it didn't hold up for me as well.

Whereas the second one was more in line what I would expect from Futurama, and more of the sci-fi I like, with the nanotech premise and the infinite series joke. I was just fun to see all the characters again. And Zoidberg's wedding album?!-ganesh

Hi,

I did like both episodes but I did like the second one the best. I don't really care for battle of the sexes type episodes but I did like the fact that they meet a magical rock creature that "tested" them to find out about their true nature (and it felt a bit like a TOS episode). Although, I do feel that having wings on a spaceship is a bit excessive (and too goofy). I also enjoyed hearing the line "I lost a bet with the Borax Kid because of you," Fry saying "never bet against me doing something stupid," and "Borax Kid, here is your fifty bucks that I owe you." In addition, it was good to see Bender as Coilette again and seeing what Fry would look like as a woman.

As for the second one, I do believe that it felt more like a Futurama episode (along with math/logic problems sprinkled throughout the episode).

Edited by TVspectator, Jun 26, 2011 @ 11:22 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

Usually the wackiness of Futurama holds up internally, and there were a couple of times where I was saying, "why bother with wings on the ship? They've flown around the planet before." So it didn't hold up for me as well.

I was thinking this, too, but I kept thinking of the Professor's logic when he chased after Pazuzu:

Leela: "This ship can travel to near-lightspeed, why are we driving at 30 miles per hour?"
Professor: "Because we're in a hurry, that's why!"

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

Given the formula the professor showed, and I'm totally riffing off the top of my head, I think you'd have to take the limit of the series and solve for the M0 in the numerator? The limit of 1/2"n is 2 I think, so convergence could be determined by 2*M0 < 1? So less than 50%?

Math geek go! (I've thought of this too much). That's right, a geometric series is convergent if the common ratio is less than 1.

I can think of 3 scenarios for the math.
1) Each Bender is 60% the mass of the original and "gives birth" to 2 children. Then each generation weighs 20% more than the previous one and the series wouldn't converge. The threshold for convergence is if the sum of all the children is less than the original.
2) Each Bender is 60% the height of the original. This looks more like it from the animation, where the Bender's were ~1/2 the height of the original. An object 60% the height has 36% the surface area and 21.6% the mass. This would be convergent to 76% more than Bender's original mass, so wouldn't be world-destroying.
3) Is there a reason why each Bender couldn't reproduce indefinitely, as opposed to just having 2 children? If any Bender could have an arbitrary number of children, their size is irrelevant, 1 Bender could consume all the matter in the world. But that's not consistent with all the characters assuming that 11 generations = 2047 Benders.

Almost as good a math problem as the brain-swapping theorem.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

I was going on that the 60% was of Bender's mass, since the formula had and "M0" in it, which traditionally would mean mass in math/physics problems. But depending on what the 60% is, then the convergence problem changes.

I using that the plane had wings as a small example about the first episode. That specific thing didn't make the episode not quite do it for me, but it was one of several little things. I think the premise was a little too broad for the show. And it ended with just a plain "reset button" by the Borax Kid (he was funny).

With the brain switching episode, obviously it ended with everyone getting their brain back, but there was more to it than that. Here, the BK just showed up and that was that. It was just a little too generic-sitcom theme; men and women are different!

The second episode more than made up for it though.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

I was going on that the 60% was of Bender's mass, since the formula had and "M0" in it, which traditionally would mean mass in math/physics problems. But depending on what the 60% is, then the convergence problem changes.

60% mass makes the math all work out, and from the dialogue is what was intended. I was just basing my confusion on the animation. For each Bender child to weigh 60%, they'd have to be 85% as tall (cube root of .6) which they weren't. Of course, by this logic, the ugly giant wouldn't actually be able to walk, his cube-scaled mass would snap his ankles, unless his bones were massively reinforced.

But now I've definitely thought about this too much. Silly Comedy Central for running reruns when I should be sleeping.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2011 @ 2:25 AM

Of course, by this logic, the ugly giant wouldn't actually be able to walk, his cube-scaled mass would snap his ankles, unless his bones were massively reinforced.

OT, but in the comic book "Atomic Robo" (which I highly recommend), when the title character comes up against yet another improbably giant bad guy, he says "Why do we even have a cube-square law?". It made my day.

As for your third question, there's no reason each Bender could only have two child Benders, but as you say the writing of the show seemed to strongly hint that's all that happened. Maybe each Bender was too lazy to produce more children after having made two copies?

Edited by arc, Jun 28, 2011 @ 3:11 AM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

"Heroes don't do drugs! Except for Drugman, I guess."

I just love the concept of "Parade Day," where every parade (except Freedom Day's, I guess) are smashed together into one big parade.

Hey, Robot Devil's back! I like the detail of him reading LIFE In Hell magazine when he greets Bender. Speaking of familiar faces: The Robot Medium (who explodes) and Lionel Preacherbot acting out a Robo-Exorcist was hilarious. I thought the ending was great: He possesses the Robot Devil to save Fry, killing him (but Robot Devil has a new body), then Bender rises up to Robot Heaven and meets Robot God...whom he possesses to beat him into sending back to Earth. Awesome.

"SURVIVED a heart attack?! DAMN YOU OBAMACARE!" Lots of good lines tonight.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

then Bender rises up to Robot Heaven and meets Robot God...whom he possesses to beat him into sending back to Earth.

And when he first went up to heaven, he had one of those reactions to seeing God that was something along the lines of "Oh man, this guy. Heh.

As for your third question, there's no reason each Bender could only have two child Benders, but as you say the writing of the show seemed to strongly hint that's all that happened. Maybe each Bender was too lazy to produce more children after having made two copies?

Upon rewatch, I have to agree. Since every Bender was exactly like the first Bender, I assumed that since the first Bender never bothered to make a second set of copies, none of the others would either. Also, Bender cracking up at Bender's jokes was even funnier the second time around.

Kendall95

Kendall95

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

I loved Fry being in Amish country/planet. The Robot Devil continues to be awesome.
And we have a new service: DeadEx.

But the Bender suicide thing didn't sit right with me. We know Bender is the king of self-importance and would threaten to kill himself for the attention purposes. I'm just surprised that he would actually go through with it.

And since he was able to come back to life so easily and with so little effort, it makes the events in Lethal Inspection feel kind of hollow.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 12:34 PM

And since he was able to come back to life so easily and with so little effort, it makes the events in Lethal Inspection feel kind of hollow.-Kendall95

I though Robot God did that and not Bender, because if Bender can then this whole episode was pretty pointless.

I loved Fry being in Amish country/planet.-Kendall95

I did love the Amish planet.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

I liked that Amish Planet has a variety of stick-on beards.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 6:19 PM

I though Robot God did that and not Bender, because if Bender can then this whole episode was pretty pointless.

It was RG's voice saying "oh just get out," at the end. I think Bender just possessed him and smacked him around until he gave in. It seems like he's the only robot who can rewrite the ghost ware and end the infinite loop. Which makes sense that he looked like a server to me.

I always like "cultural" things they throw into the show, like the concept of Parade Day or Freedom Day. We had a parade very day, it was a dark time. And Leela providing a comforting arm. Crowd scenes on Futurama are always a treat. I think I saw Randy in there. And Mom's sons. I think there was at least one of them.

I do appreciate they at least tried to explain how Bender would be a ghost. And the Robot Devil is always great; he's got a song for everything! Granny Hester is naked, but she's ok. Heh. The thing with the damn hands and how they still smell is never going to not be funny.

I was thinking that maybe Bender would steal a Robot Devil body for a while and then find out a way to get a new Bender unit for himself or that the Professor would figure out a science explanation and make some weird device to capture Bender.

"This line has been lame since 1989." Oy. I can remember every time someone used a phone back then, it was "who ya gonna call." And the damn song was on the radio every 15 seconds I swear.

I'm liking the last two episodes. I'm actually looking forward to a "traditional" Planet Express makes a delivery to a weird planet episode.

Edited by ganesh, Jul 1, 2011 @ 6:21 PM.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

It did bug me - because Bender's ghost was explained as a phenomenon due to cloud computing - that he was even able to visit the Amish planet.

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 12:47 AM

But the Bender suicide thing didn't sit right with me. We know Bender is the king of self-importance and would threaten to kill himself for the attention purposes. I'm just surprised that he would actually go through with it.

He didn't. He was murdered by the Suicide Booth that happened to be his angry ex girlfriend Lynn.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

Did any of you catch what Fry said when the electric shaver was going to go after his armpits?

No, hot the armpits. Winter is Coming.

That had to be a Game of Thrones reference. Awesome!

Edited by ElymianDucat, Jul 2, 2011 @ 10:50 AM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

But the Bender suicide thing didn't sit right with me. We know Bender is the king of self-importance and would threaten to kill himself for the attention purposes. I'm just surprised that he would actually go through with it.-Kendall95

He didn't. He was murdered by the Suicide Booth that happened to be his angry ex girlfriend Lynn.-sordidheart88

As with Bender going into a suicide booth, that I can buy; we did first meet him in a line for a suicide booth (and by the way did anyone else notice that, in this episode, there was a similar scene from the Pilot?). In addition, Bender is the one who loves attention and I can see him going so far as to going inside a suicide booth.

I did like this episode but you are right to say that Bender didn't technically commit suicide and that the Booth did violently murdered him. It could be that he did pay (or at least tied a quarter to his finger) for the machine to turn on and thus he was the one who is responsible for his death (hence he committed suicide). Maybe in the future, the mere act of going inside a suicide booth, is enough to say that a person committed suicide?

Edited by TVspectator, Jul 3, 2011 @ 5:25 AM.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2011 @ 11:30 PM

I don't think anyone pointed it out yet, but I liked the idea that that Robot 1X is the robot god. And the Professor's line about wanting to use science, not a seance had me cracking up.

I also liked the callbacks to the previous Robot Devil episodes. Fry swapping hands with him. And him rehearsing the song from the first episode he was in.

I wasn't so convinced by Bender's attitude. It seemed a bit much that he'd actively want to kill Fry. Or himself now that he knew he didn't have a backup unit.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2011 @ 12:47 AM

His hands still smell like candy corn. Only Fry would eat candy corn. That's like the worst kind of candy ever.

I like all the singing in the show, so I'm fine with the Robot Devil wanting to sing, and the setup for the new number was pretty funny. It's a good running gag now, "oh great, he's going to sing again." The Robot Devil is just so over the top, it makes perfect sense to me. I think it would be hilarious if he actually lost a "deal" and had to work at Planet Express or Mom's as his part of the bargain.

I like Bender, but we've had two Bender episodes now, and the first episode of this season, wasn't that great. I'd like to see something else now.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 12:31 AM

Looks like the opening credits aren't showing clips from old cartoons anymore.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Jul 5, 2011 @ 6:34 AM

The Robot Devil is just so over the top, it makes perfect sense to me. I think it would be hilarious if he actually lost a "deal" and had to work at Planet Express or Mom's as his part of the bargain.

Seconded. I think he would have his hands full with Mom. :)

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 9:30 PM

"For the sophisticated shut-in!"

Wow, the Applied Cryogenics crew pranked Fry with the same crank call since he came to the future? That's harsh.

I kind of liked the Police Academy parody. The Michael Winslow Robot was pretty predictable (like Fry said, would've been more impressive with a human), and I liked thatt Baton training was a whack-a-mole game. The manly female chief was great, though. Shaving, and having a bathroom baby (I wonder if its URL's?). Smitty was a few days from retirement...so he took an early retirement. I bet he'll be back.

Pickles The Oracle was pretty neat. Instead of preventing primes, he merely set up a stable time loop...which he set up to steal the Maltese Liquor to kill his human brain cells. Speaking of which, love how only robots and Billy Dee Williams were immune to it.

Love that Pandora exists in the year 3000-whatever, and it's completely rendered in old-fashioned red/blue 3D.

Callback time: Career chips, Bender being the ship's cook, Roberto holding the Planet Express crew hostage again, and the bit at the beginning with Paperboy.

blahface

blahface

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 11:49 PM

If Robot Devil had backup bodies, then what was the big deal about him losing his hands to Fry?

The Police Academy episode was actually fairly decent. It was the only Comedy Central episode that I enjoyed.

xander874

xander874

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 8:30 AM

I loved all the callbacks too and for some reason liked that they had a new sign in front of the police station every time they showed it. My favorite was the wanted posters of the man and woman and they were walking by it casually with the oblivious cop looking.

And I was pretty indifferent to URL before, but I like him a lot now.

And is Scruffy a zombie now?