South Park

• Please log in to reply

7008 replies to this topic

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 7:18 AM

Best part? Stan's dad complaining that you never see her full boobs.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 8:55 AM

Did Cartman's cat follow Mr/Ms Garrison's lead and have gender-reassignment surgery? Because it was a female in "Cat Orgy".

Excellent question, because before he had always just called it Kitty, not Mr. Kitty.

Cartman hiding the cats had me rolling, along with his line of "Bad Kenny! Bad Mr. Kitty!". But I've never seen Heavy Metal, so the rest of the episode was a yawner to me.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 9:09 AM

It's probably been over ten years since I've seen Heavy Metal. Netflix has it as one of their "Watch Now" dvds. I might have to borrow the neighbor's cat this weekend.

Mari77

Mari77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 9:13 AM

Ha, Cartman hiding the cats was the best thing ever! It makes so much sense that he'd have absolutely no compassion for other human beings, but risk getting in trouble for a bunch of kitties. Hee. And I definitely agree with everyone on the Gerald-Kenny fight... frickin hilarious.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 9:49 AM

I just heard a report yesterday on NPR about Cheese Heroin that 9-10 year olds are using. Between that and the Spitzer reference, this was the most current episode in a while.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 10:21 AM

I've never seen Heavy Metal either, but I have seen the other rotoscoped soundtrack-heavy animated 80's movie, American Pop. They got the look of that type of animation down. After doing some investigating, a lot of people outside of this forum hated the first two episodes of this season but LOVED this one. So, they don't like topical episodes (about female celebrities and how they should be treated better by the media), but they go gaga over an episode that is wall-to-wall boobs. I guess that serves as a reminder that I'm in the minority for being a woman who likes rock music and cartoons.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

I must've been 10 or 11 when I first saw Heavy Metal and I loved that movie, this episode was as special for spoofing my childhood as the Casa Bonita one (I grew up in Denver and would kill to go to a birthday party there).

My favorite line of the whole episode was the news reporter "It's called 'Cheesing' because it's Fon-To-Due!"

I like that the whole episode got kicked off because of one of Butters' stupid anecdotes.

Lincolnave

Lincolnave

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 11:31 AM

Am I the only one that thought the Heavy Metal dream girl was a dead ringer for Shannon Tweed?

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

Best part? Stan's dad complaining that you never see her full boobs.

I vote for Sheila's half-closed eyes of spousal humiliation.

And you know, they never did tell us what kind of flowers those were....

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Mar 27, 2008 @ 12:46 PM.

shakey9571

shakey9571

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 2:13 PM

This is the reference I thought they were using: Gross!

Kenny sure did seem to be enjoying himself...

Mullon

Mullon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

So what was that song that kept playing during the hallucinations?

shakey9571

shakey9571

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 2:35 PM

That was Sammy Hagar's 'Heavy Metal' from the movie's soundtrack.

dougfir

dougfir

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 3:01 PM

Ha, Cartman hiding the cats was the best thing ever! It makes so much sense that he'd have absolutely no compassion for other human beings, but risk getting in trouble for a bunch of kitties.

Word. Even better was his steadfast refusal to see the irony of the whole situation. I kind of wish he'd convinced Butters to help him hide the cats (and then of course poor Butters would've gotten grounded).

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 3:52 PM

He was even dressed in 1940s garb - hat & trenchcoat, and I swear his accent changed & was almost Schindleresque.

The Harlequin

The Harlequin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 4:06 PM

So what was that song that kept playing during the hallucinations?

That was Sammy Hagar's 'Heavy Metal' from the movie's soundtrack.

Actually, they played 3 songs from the soundtrack. During the first hallucination, they played Hagar's "Heavy Metal". During the next 2, they played Don Felder's "Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)". During Gerald and Kenny's battle, they played "Radar Rider" by Riggs.

And seeing Butters call Kenny a "good bunny" as Kenny vomits on him will never not be funny.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 4:18 PM

This is the reference I thought they were using: Gross!

Kenny sure did seem to be enjoying himself...

Haha, they did mention that during the classroom discussion.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 7:24 PM

Am I the only one that thought the Heavy Metal dream girl was a dead ringer for Shannon Tweed?

I thought so too.

That was, imo, probably the best episode since "Tsst." I couldn't help but find it endearing that Cartman would want to save the kitties. I couldn't certainly feel where he was coming from.

osowolf

osowolf

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

And seeing Butters call Kenny a "good bunny" as Kenny vomits on him will never not be funny.

Especially with the vomit specks on Butters face for the rest of the scene. I love Butters.

Heavy Metal and South Park combined? Loved it! Although, I was sort of disappointed that Gerald didn't take on the dead airforce men. I got so excited and was kind of let down when it didn't happen. I also would have liked to have seen them redo the spaceship coke snorting aliens. Oh well, I'm nitpicking at an episode I loved anyway.

Kenny's freak out scene at being pulled away from the sudsing of the boobs was hysterical. I'm torn. Which is funnier? Ike giving Kyle deathstares over his kindergarten teacher fling or Kenny in tonight's episode or A-TA (Bebe's boobs take over the world)!

There's something so honest in the way Matt and Trey portray the relationship men have with boobs.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 10:22 PM

I also would have liked to have seen them redo the spaceship coke snorting aliens.

I believe those were the Joosians.

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 11:23 PM

Heavy Metal and South Park combined? Loved it! Although, I was sort of disappointed that Gerald didn't take on the dead airforce men. I got so excited and was kind of let down when it didn't happen. I also would have liked to have seen them redo the spaceship coke snorting aliens.

That was my biggest problem with the episode's usage of the footage from "Heavy Metal": out of all of the stuff from the movie they could have used, they opted to just use the footage relating to the various scantily clad female characters. What a fucking waste....

Still, the Cartman subplot ruled and nicely brought Cartman back down to earth as far as not being the king of the evil assholes mountain, at least for one episode. And the ending "fight", complete with the press conference bit made up for the wasted oppertunities as far as homaging/paying tribute to "Heavy Metal"....

Pepsi Princess

Pepsi Princess

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 12:04 AM

As Navin mentioned a page back, anyone who's not familiar with the movie and has a Netflix account can watch it for free on their computer, which is what I plan to do so I can get the full effect of the episode.

PapaJoesBucket

PapaJoesBucket

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

I don't think they were spoofing Joust, just more Heavy Metal references.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 4:50 AM

God love dirty little Kenny and his filthy fucking boob fetish. At last, something's carried over from the movie ten years ago.

Pepsi Princess

Pepsi Princess

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 5:56 AM

I don't know, my mind immediately went to Joust when I saw those ostrich-like birds, but then again I didn't have Heavy Metal to draw on.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

Ha, Cartman hiding the cats was the best thing ever! It makes so much sense that he'd have absolutely no compassion for other human beings, but risk getting in trouble for a bunch of kitties.

Yeah, I loved that, too. I KNEW he was going to be hiding that cat up in his attic as soon as he said that he got rid of that cat because it pissed him off.

I mean, really. There's no way he'd kill off that cat. Who would have teaparties with him and Miss Prissypants?

The "write a diary" line had me rollin', as did Cartman's refusal to see the irony.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 4:44 PM

I watched Heavy Metal today and in the movie they do show the "whole boobs" many times

curemode

curemode

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 5:00 PM

That was my biggest problem with the episode's usage of the footage from "Heavy Metal": out of all of the stuff from the movie they could have used, they opted to just use the footage relating to the various scantily clad female characters. What a fucking waste....

I loved and still love "Heavy Metal", but watching it multiple times on HBO in the early '80s as a 9 year old boy, the biggest deal for me WAS the scantily clad women. The violence too, but mostly the nudity. So I think it's a fair tribute.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 12:10 AM

From the site...

This Week on South Park: "Canada on Strike"
The head of the World Canadian Bureau leads the country into a long and painful strike and the responsibility of brokering a settlement rests with the boys.

I'm guessing this one's been in development for a while. Let's see if it works out.

Glancy

Glancy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 2:25 AM

I'm Canadian myself, and I have yet to be disappointed by any of the show's excursions to Canada. It honestly seems like South Park is one of the few shows outside of the country that even acknowledges Canada's existence. I really hope Scott gets a role in this, who besides being hilarious, also means the unintentional pattern of giving him an appearance once every five years would continue.

yesman6764

yesman6764

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

This week on South Park: "Canada On Strike"
The head of the World Canadian Bureau leads the country into a long and painful strike and the responsibility of brokering a settlement rests with the boys

I think "Canada On Strike" was inspired by the recent "long and painful" Writers Guild Of America strike. Maybe the boys get motivated by the lack of new Terence & Phillip episodes? (Note: I haven't really followed this show in a while; only saw the Chef death and last week's ep. So are T&P still part of the SP universe?)
Also, will we see Rush "appear" in this episode (small voice) I am a Rush fan (/small voice)?

As for last week's episode, I'm on the fence. I felt for the poor cats (I am a cat fan too, even if I don't own one), and the "cheesing" grossed me out (though I laughed hard when Kenny "overcheesed"; I actually felt he was going to die. Again).
But I liked the Heavy Metal homage (although I would have liked to have heard Black Sabbath's "The Mob Rules". But then Ronnie James Dio has already been lampooned on this show). And after so many years of seeing him getting killed off week after week, it was great to see Kenny kicking ass in the dream sequences and with Gerald. Hopefully we'll get an annual episode where Kenny takes no prisoners, so to speak, like this one.

Before this batch of SP episodes arrived, I predicted (evidently successfully) a WGA inspired episode. Maybe next week the other half of my wish list (a steroids episode) arrives?

Edited by yesman6764, Mar 31, 2008 @ 10:09 PM.