Kelly Clarkson: World Famous Original Idol

• Please log in to reply

11806 replies to this topic

grumpypuppy

grumpypuppy

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:29 PM

Linked to from the article Mercenary13 mentioned above.
http://launch.yahoo....rtistID=1098529

In fact, Clarkson is such a megastar that her debut single, the double A-side release "Before Your Love"/"A Moment Like This," set a Billboard Hot 100 chart record previously held by the Beatles, for the biggest leap to number one, when it skyrocketed from number 52 to the top spot in October 2002.

Do they create records for everything in the music industry? Do they rank the records in importance? Is it more prestigious have the record for the biggest leap to number one or to debut at #1? If Clarkson is a megastar for holding this record what would you call the person/people who debuted at #1?

It's a piece of cake. Kelly, sore throat and all, can hit almost all of the notes she reaches for

If she can't reach ALL the notes why doesn't she just change the musical arrangement of the songs so that it doesn't include the notes that she is hit or miss on. I might be harsh but I don't give points for trying and some of her "almosts" can be painful on the ears.

Thanks to 32writer for the thread title.

Edited by Jacob, Jun 7, 2005 @ 2:59 AM.

Blake

Blake

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:32 PM

There's basically no one debuting at #1 now, ever since they began allowing radio-only singles. Kelly's jump was, of course, due to the commercial release of the single and based mainly on sales (I think).
So the record is pretty much meaningless.

flipflopchick

flipflopchick

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

Blake,
Clay debuted at number 1. It happens. He is also the only artist to ever have 5 singles chart on the AC chart in the first 6 months of their career. How's that for obscure Billboard trivia?

Blake

Blake

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:03 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I meant on the Hot 100 singles chart.

KikiMets

KikiMets

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:09 PM

Is it more prestigious have the record for the biggest leap to number one or to debut at #1?

In this case, the leap is more prestigious. A Moment Like this had enough airplay to chart on the Hot 100 prior to the release of the commercial single, while the song that debuted at #1 didn't.

flipflopchick

flipflopchick

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:28 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I meant on the Hot 100 singles chart.

Blake, Clay DID debut at #1 on the Hot 100 chart, and stayed there for 2 weeks. He did it with This is the Night.

Kelly's record, IMO is totally meaningless.

riagirly

riagirly

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:49 PM

I was visiting Promosquad and I was listening to the jukebox, and Kelly's AI performance of "Natural Woman" was in it. I just thought that was kind of strange. Cool, but strange.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

Kelly's CD just kept me company on a long drive, and I have to reiterate how much I love her recorded, less yelly and harsh voice. On Beautiful Disatser, Just Missed the Train and others her voice sounds absolutely beautiful IMO. Don't get me wrong---I like that she can fluctuate from sweet/soft to belty, because it keeps her voice interesting, as if you never quite know which direction she'll take the song in from one moment to the next. I just wish the belt-y were parts were a little more controlled.

I have to disagree with comments about Kelly being an R & B diva, or, rather, ONLY an R & B diva, because I think one strength of her style and even her album is that it's quite eclectic. I'm so curious to hear her next album to see what direction she goes in---I know she's expressed a desire to do more country, but, then again, she does love soul, and, as a third factor, I'm sure RCA will push for at least some radio-friendly pop.

And, finally, Some Kind of Miracle, which I never particularly liked, has really grown on me, Kelly just brings so much heart to that song---she sings it with real passion and conviction.

ETA: With re. to who set what sort of records this year, at the risk of sounding too Pollyanna-ish, I'm just genuinely glad that Kelly, Clay and Ruben have all done well. Granted, maybe they've been successful to differing degrees, but I like tham all and feel good that none of them suffered a huge disappointment a la Justin!

Edited by marlaas, Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:13 PM.

flipflopchick

flipflopchick

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

WORD marlas

I love recorded Kelly. It's so much less Yelly, and you can actually still hear the beauty in her voice. She really does have a beautiful voice when she's not yelling and screaming and trying to be a soul singer, when she clearly is not one. I love her recordings, but very, very few live performances of hers are ones that I can stand to listen to over and over again.

Blake

Blake

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:25 PM

Bwah, flipflopchick! I totally forgot that -- I thought you meant "Invisible". My bad, I'm a dork.

Edited by Blake, Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:26 PM.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:36 PM

She really does have a beautiful voice when she's not yelling and screaming and trying to be a soul singer, when she clearly is not one.

I happen to think she's a good soul singer, and she's proven that she can be without being particularly yelly--I particularly think of "What's Up Lonely" and "Thankful" (granted in the latter she builds to a wail, but it's pretty laid-back soulful for most of it).

flipflopchick

flipflopchick

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:02 PM

Kelly is not a natural soul singer. She does a fairly good imitation of one, but she's not a real soul singer, no matter what she or her fans think. Soul is something you live and breathe. You wanna talk about Soul? Buy Joss Stone's The Soul Sessions CD.THAT is soul. Aretha Franklin is soul. Kelly is NOT soul. Kelly isn't there, and the way in which she's trying to force herslef to BE a soul singer is ripping her chords to shreds. She's a pop singer, not a soul singer, and she would have a longer career if she would just realize that, because by pushing herself into a genre that she is ill suited, she is ruining her voice.

Edited by flipflopchick, Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:58 PM.

PoSSiBILitY

PoSSiBILitY

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:59 PM

I don't think that soul is my favorite genre for Kelly to sing (I like bluesy-rock Kelly, which (woohoo) she says her next CD will be mostly comprised of), but Joss Stone, IMO, sounds as young as she is (weak and warbly). The whole thing is so subjective, however, that there's almost no point in discussing it.

I would love to hear a country album from Kelly in the future, but I am also excited and nervous to see what her next CD will be like since she claims to have already written the songs for it. I can only hope I enjoy her writing skills as much as her voice.

As for World Idol, I enjoyed her performance, thought she did well, although Natural Woman is not in the least my favorite song.

aiwop

aiwop

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

Just a quick note to say how great Kelly looks on the results show.

Tartarwarrior

Tartarwarrior

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:41 PM

I agree, not a huge fan of Kel, but she does look cute, tired, but cute.

grumpypuppy

grumpypuppy

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:53 AM

Regarding her bored/disgruntled/sad face at WI results show - Is she practicing her "disappointed" face for the grammies or do you suppose she will be able to come up with some kind of "it's an honour just to be nominated" expression before then?

runamok

runamok

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:59 AM

Whatever face she makes at the Grammy's, she should have the same hair and makeup team do her -- she looked great!

Kromm

Kromm

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:43 PM

I've just decided... I think she has gas from eating crappy English food!

ColdGreg

ColdGreg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

I've just decided... I think she has gas from eating crappy English food!

Hee. I figured she was still sick and just completely zoned out. But I like this explaination better. I can see it now:

Simon Fuller: Here, Kelly. Why don't you try this delicious blood pudding?
Kelly: I don't know. I looks kinda weird.
Simon Fuller: Oh, trust me. You know I only have your best interest in mind. (evil wink).

Denise29

Denise29

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:20 PM

deleted....already discussed elsewhere!

Edited by Denise29, Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:30 PM.

PoSSiBILitY

PoSSiBILitY

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:26 PM

deleted for above reason.

Edited by PoSSiBILitY, Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:38 PM.

txsunshine33

txsunshine33

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:23 PM

Kelly's Diva Moment

This cracked me up. I guess she really thought she would win

iron chef

iron chef

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:36 PM

Heeheeheeheehee. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheeheeheeheeheehee.

MC SammyD

MC SammyD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:00 PM

Kel did look a little dazed, but the editing of the show was so terrible that the clips didn't even seem to match up with what was going on. They just showed random shots of the contestants and it didn't even look like they knew they were on. I don't think Kelly looked all that disappointed, maybe just bored and/or confused. Seriously, I doubt she even cared that much. It sure didn't seem like it from her performance or her reaction to the judges. So she probably just wanted to get it over with and leave. However, I think it is a little tacky if she really didn't even bother to congratulate Kurt. Just my opinion, though.

deadpill

deadpill

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:10 PM

Hee, that is quite hilarious. How bitchy of her. I still like her though. Actually, this might make me like her more.

ColdGreg

ColdGreg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:12 PM

A picture of all the idols posing with Kurt and his trophy after the show. My God, she's practically sprinting for the door! Or just standing there smiling. You know, whatever.

Buffeeluvr

Buffeeluvr

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:29 PM

Thanks so much for that pic, ColdGreg. Add to that the eyewitness accounts of Kelly staying after the show to sign autographs for her fans and any credibility that the NY Post's article had quickly diminishes. Le Sigh.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

If that NY Post story is true, then gah. No matter how we portray ourselves when times are good, sometimes all it takes is a little disappointment for our true personality to come out. That is of course, if it's true.

Zelda Gilroy

Zelda Gilroy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:40 PM

The New York Post is a rag. Such a lovely photo of Kurt, too. IMHO Kelly's reactions seemed a bit forced. I think she didn't care much and just wanted to leave. The way she gets dragged around she must be exhausted.
I don't understand why people like Kurt so much, we already have a Bono and he's a better Bono than Hobbitboy. That song is also carried by the instruments primarily so he's going to have to come up with a U2 level band to cover up his mediocrity.

aiwop

aiwop

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

At the end of the day, Kelly's a smart girl and a great singer and she will recover from the bad publicity (and the mug shots during WI). Plus, as they say, any publicity is good publicity.