Family Guy

• Please log in to reply

8409 replies to this topic

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

I don't know--it seems that even when the "right" political idea is done, it's done in such a heavy handed, wrong way that almost ANY political ideology that you may have is fine. Let's face it--folks in the town of Quahog are rather stupid, thinking that local laws are the same as federal ones. Meh.

Just think of it this way--any time you see anything political in FG, just prepare to snark on it, or laugh--or both!

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Catching up, but what was the May 6 episode spoofing, exactly? Because I certainly don't see any action movie doing that.

Since no one's mentioned it, I LOL'd at the family portrait Peter painted.

This is the first time in a while I've seen Joyce introduce herself at the same time as Tom.

Carter being involved in the Tea Party? I did not see that coming. But it was clear that he was using Peter.

Quagmire with the giraffe? So. Wrong.

And Herbert probably gets to finally molest Chris. Um . . . wow.

Didn't Peter realize he was describing government to a "T" at the end?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

The Tea Party ep was pure reductio ad absurdum. Lame.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

So an hour-long finale tonight.

First episode:

British version was pretty funny, especially with all of the English versions of their common jokes. Plus, hillbilly Stewie while the rest of the family was English. British Brian being a horse. Meg being the only one to keep her name. Peter fighting with a . . . pigeon, was it? Peter saying, "Bugger!" in place of his sighs of pain. A revisit to his "Roadhouse!" utterance. Pretty sweet segment.

Next is FG's take on a King Midas-type of tale, and . . . Oh, great. Of all stars Peter wanted to create by touching other people, it had to be Robin Williams. Was that even his voice? But "Rockin' Robin" was a surprisingly fitting song to play during the montage. And I wonder what Aladdin idea they must've had?

Stewie has very weird days. But I loved Brian even liking to chase squirrels in his Prius. And Stewie hates Herbert and wants him away from Chris? Hmm. Maybe he's a better brother than I thought he was. Oh, and "Red flag! Anyone listening? Red flag!" His dream of Peter and Lois's sex at the end? Also made me titter.

Second episode:

Nice to see Ernie again, but in "Little Man on Hippocampus," I thought he said that he and Peter were past their animosity. Oh, and like their third round, round four went on WAY too long. I guess it was a good touch to involve Stewie and Herbert and go to a different time, though. But do either one of them ever realize just how many people they hurt in their scraps?

Oops. Joe cheats on Bonnie over what he thought was her affair in France, only to find out that she never went through with it. I thought it was a retcon and was about to object to that, but then, Bonnie brings it up that she did indeed stay faithful to Joe. So some miscommunication basically sets it in motion.

I liked how Joe and Bonnie met, but I call a serious retcon. They never lived in Quahog until Bonnie was pregnant with Susie. (For nearly a decade. Seriously.) Still, it was quite a nice note to end the season on, reconciling over the way they met.

So Kevin is still alive and well and still has more personality than he did in the pre-cancellation days. And Susie's thoughts still sound like Patrick Stewart. Heh.

Decent finale, except for the latest chicken fight.

Oh, I'm with the poster who, a few pages back, said that Ted is obviously doomed to failure. Just don't get the premise.

Edited by Jyn, May 20, 2012 @ 10:28 PM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

The first episode was great and I loved the segment "A day in the life of Stewie, through his eyes" which (IMO) was the best one out of the three (although, I did like how Meg became the "sensitive bearded Robin Williams" and that Stewie and Rupert were pretending to be Robin Williams, in the second segment). I really loved seeing Stewie closed the eyes of the dead squirrel and telling it that Brian can't hurt him now (which makes me wonder, this could be one of the reasons why Stewie dislikes Brian). In addition, I wished that Disney allowed them to do the Aladdin Robin Williams.

Nice to see Ernie again, but in "Little Man on Hippocampus," I thought he said that he and Peter were past their animosity-Jyn

I thought that they were still hostile to each other because Peter wanted to pay for his dinner but Ernie wanted to pay for it (so he won't be embarrassed in front of his wife)? Plus, Peter slammed into Ernie's car and totally totaled it right before the fight.

IMO, felt sad for Bonnie and Joe.

Edited by TVspectator, May 20, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I liked how Joe and Bonnie met, but I call a serious retcon. They never lived in Quahog until Bonnie was pregnant was Susie. For nearly a decade. Seriously. Still, it was quite a nice note to end the season on, reconciling over the way they met.

She also said in their first episode that he was an excellent negotiator because "I was a virgin when we met. It took him three hours."

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Viewer Mail #2: "In fact, Family Guy was based on an American show called The Simpsons." Of course I loved that.

I'll admit, I wanted to see more of Chap of The House. I will never not tire of British humor on this show. Especially loved British Meg, the Giant Chicken as a pheasant, The Wheel of Politeless, and that Stewie had a southern accent. Pulling a Princess Di on the Queen was a bit much, though.

Fatman and Robin: Adam West continues to be awesome. So everyone (and everyTHING) Peter touches becomes Robin Williams? My God. But loved that Meg turned into Sensitive, Bearded Robin Williams. That ending was horrifying, and I'll admit that I thought this segment one of the best things this show has ever done.

Point of Stew: I thought this one was pretty neat. I really like that whole sequence where he's hanging onto Brian's car. I want more of Stewie screwing with time, I thought Stewie going back to save Kurt Cobain just to make him fat was pretty clever.

Internal Affairs: And as I say that, we get a new Chicken Fight that travels through time. And in space. And it was glorious. But we end the season with the show tackling ANOTHER cheating story, but at least this one ended well for Joe and Bonnie.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:08 AM

I thought this was going to be an hour-long (two-part) "Viewer mail" ep until round three of the tired chicken fight began, so I bailed. I wonder if those segments were from real viewer mail?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:45 AM

While Bonnie never did sleep with that guy in Paris, didn't she tell Lois once (in the episode where Lois was crushing on Meg's new boyfriend) that she did in fact cheat with "some guys she met on the internet"?

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I liked how Joe and Bonnie met, but I call a serious retcon. They never lived in Quahog until Bonnie was pregnant with Susie.

I'm not a superfan, but didn't Joe and Bonnie move next door to the Griffins early in the series? They could have still lived (and met) in Quahog, just in a different neighbourhood.

Peter fighting with a . . . pigeon, was it?

It was a pheasant. No pigeon is that colourful.

I wished that Disney allowed them to do the Aladdin Robin Williams.

Do they really need permission to spoof things? Surely they didn't get individual permission for all the other Robin Williams movie characters (and the thousands of other people/things/characters/movies/TV shows/etc. they've spoofed over the years.
Was Jumanjii Robin Williams there?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

While Bonnie never did sleep with that guy in Paris, didn't she tell Lois once (in the episode where Lois was crushing on Meg's new boyfriend) that she did in fact cheat with "some guys she met on the internet"?

My memory's a bit hazy on this, but didn't she tell Louis when they went to Paris that the reason she visited Paris semi-regularly was to hook up with strangers she met there?

It was a pheasant. No pigeon is that colourful.

I thought it was a quail, but that makes more sense.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Wow! The show managed to end for the season with two episodes that were pretty good! I'm impressed!

I liked "Viewer Mail #2" the best. Those last two sketches were so hilarious, especially "Point of Stew." Stewie waking up and saying fuck you to Lois made my whole week.

I wished that Disney allowed them to do the Aladdin Robin Williams.

Me too, but Stewie referencing that at the end was funny.

As for Internal Affairs, I now have that Toto song in my head.

All in all, kind of a better season for last. I'd have to say my favorite episodes, aside from "Viewer Mail 2" were "Back to the Pilot," "Livin' on a Prayer" and "Killer Queen." And while I know most of you hated the hurricane episode because of the ending, I still thoroughly enjoyed Meg ripping Peter, Lois and Chris to shreds.

Edited by Spartan Girl, May 21, 2012 @ 12:41 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Regarding Disney and Aladin; I think Disney (who are known to be anal retentive about copyrighting their versions of classic fairy tales so others can't steal their version wholesale) consider the Robin Williams Genie to be an original character or enough of an original character that they would refuse to allow Seth to feature him on the cartoon. Especially if they were to be bitter at the Disney-verse featured in the multiverse episode.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

I honestly didn't think they actually sought permission for the Genie and were rebuffed; I thought they were just being tongue in cheek about it when Stewie made that comment, making their usual Disney The Megalomaniacal Corporation joke.

Edited by Chicken Wing, May 21, 2012 @ 5:22 PM.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I liked the first episode more than the Joe/Bonnie one. I guess I was just seeing some parallels in the episode where Lois' parents split up over infidelity, complete with a backstory of how they first met and an ending where they take a small step towards reconciliation. Then I realized that Quagmire and Lauretta also had an episode where infidelity split the couple apart, and Peter and Lois did have the episode where Lois slept with Bill Clinton and it almost destroyed their marriage.

It was kind of nice to see Kevin again. They were kind of treating him like the Meg of the family though, and that made me sad.

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

we get a new Chicken Fight that travels through time.

It was mildly distracting that the Back to the Future DeLorian brought them back to the present, rather than to the late 80's when Back to the Future was made. Clever idea though.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

So, I was able to catch up on the Tea Party episode (I watched it on Adult Swim) and I found it to be "meh" at best. There was a lot of straw manning going on and I can't stand Brian especially when his is on his soap box. I don't care if he is the voice of Seth, I just hate it. As with the other parts, I am surprised that Carter was the one dressing like "Joe Workingman" because, I thought that Carter would most likely hire someone rather do it himself. Although, I wasn't surprised that he was the one behind the TP movement in Quahog.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

I'm just surprised at what an EPIC FAIL he had when trying to do an evil laugh. Carter's at least a semi-villain on this show, so you'd expect him to do that well.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I'm just surprised at what an EPIC FAIL he had when trying to do an evil laugh. Carter's at least a semi-villain on this show, so you'd expect him to do that well.-Jyn

Yeah, that was a weak laugh and Carter's plan was also weak. I mean he didn't really do anything after the government was abolished, by Mayor West, and he didn't stop Peter from restoring the government at the end.

It was mildly distracting that the Back to the Future DeLorian brought them back to the present, rather than to the late 80's when Back to the Future was made. Clever idea though.-Fungi Wisdom

Maybe it was the Back To The Future fan, who was dress like Marty McFly and was building a replica DeLorian time machine, from American Dad?

Edited by TVspectator, May 23, 2012 @ 11:48 AM.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Sad to hear about Richard Dawson passing away, though the first thing I thought about was when the Griffins went on "Family Feud" in "Big Man on Hippocampus." Did Richard Dawson really voice himself or was that somebody else?

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

I think that was Richard himself, though I could be wrong.

Frankly, what I remember was Lois kissing him frantically, with tongue, even throwing in a lip bite, and ending with saying to him, "I wanna be your pinky ring." Followed by a nervous Richard straightening up his tie before proceeding to ask her the question.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

I caught the repeat of the ep in which Megg turned 18. Was she not aware of the things Quagmire has done to women?

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Peter, Lois, Stewie, and Brian are all aware of what he does. Chris and Meg are not.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise split. Is it wrong that after laughing, I immediately flashed back to Katie fleeing from his house with a bunch of half-naked guys in "Lois Kills Stewie"?

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

I just thought of Stewie's version of the couch-jumping cutaway, frankly.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

"I'm in love with Katie Holmes! I'm not gay! I'm not gay! I'm in love with Katie Holmes! I'm not gay!"

Heh.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Holy crap. Per reviews, Ted's actually a success.

Well done, Seth.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 4:21 AM

I saw the Thanksgiving soapbox ep last night. *rolls eyes*

I did like the bit with the people responsible for the cutaways not sure which cutaway to use before settling with the "Wizard of Oz" one.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Holy crap. Per reviews, Ted's actually a success.

It was a really funny film. Definitely had a Family Guy vibe to it but it was actually funny, unlike the current show, and stood on its own.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:46 AM

I saw a repeat of the ep om which Brian dates a blind woman who hates dogs. Wow, he was a bit of a jerk by trying those tricks on her.