Family Guy

• Please log in to reply

8409 replies to this topic

Kalidah

Kalidah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

"The robot didn't kill Queen. They're fine. (pause) Most of them are fine." Awww.

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I wish they'd brought back Robert Downey Jr. as Patrick/Fat Guy Strangler. It's distracting when they switch voices.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Stewie caring for someone in the family other than Brian? That was a shocker.

InvaderNorbert
Barry from American Dad being there was such a great detail, but he wasn't used at all.

I know. I was a bit disappointed about that. But hey! Anyone else notice that he even had the same voice actor? Was only expecting a visual appearance, not just a speaking one. Still, besides just Barry, was I the only one expecting to see Junior there, too?

InvaderNorbert
I'll admit, I didn't actually think they'd bring back Patrick for this episode, but I liked how he was the red herring, but still vanished at the end.

That was an excellent touch. I thought it was Patrick just like the family did. I even liked Lois and Meg being afraid of him. I was hoping for the reminder of what turned him on to strangling fat people, though. That was certainly something unforgettable.

One thing, though. Was it the same guy playing him this time? Or was it someone different? Edited: Oh, I see. Thanks, HandBanana. Guess Downey wasn't available or something. Still, it's been enough years since Patrick was last seen that I don't think anyone would notice that much.

I loved the reveal that Yamamoto was the killer. Did not see that coming. And I loved that he used Patrick as the easy scapegoat.

In case anyone didn't hear it, it sounds like FG is borrowing not only characters from AD (see: Barry's appearance), but also soundtracks. The music playing as Yamamoto was trying to strangle Chris also played when Stan and Bullock got into that brawl in the AD episode "Bullocks to Stan."

Great FG episode! The show's been pulling itself together very well this season after the shitfest that was the last few seasons!

Edited by TDA Jake, Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:38 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Stewie being frightened by Queen's News of The World album was great. We were all scared of random things as kids, so it was great to see Stewie react to something like that. The album cover in the lottery ticket was gold.

I was scared of when the devil came up on the giant slot machine on The Joker's Wild game show.

I wonder couldn't get Robert Downey Jr. back as Patrick.

Liked Peter acting like a bully from a teen movie "I'd better not see you at the dance!" and Lois having to go with him.

Edited by Limbonaut, Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:39 PM.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

Limbonaut
I was scared of when the devil came up on the giant slot machine on The Joker's Wild game show.

I can top that, I think. I was scared of the enemy of the day showing up to abuse Mikey when players moved him to the wrong space on Nick Arcade.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I had two: This stuffed gorilla my parents had, and the gremlins from Gremlins.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

Now that I think of it, I had two others:

a.) Whammies from Press Your Luck (though the modern-day ones didn't scare me, oddly).
b.) Even the possibility of the dragon showing up instead of the knight on that old adult tic-tac-toe game show.

So yeah. I can kind of feel Stewie there.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

I wonder couldn't get Robert Downey Jr. back as Patrick.

Guess it was too much to ask for. Reminds me of Norm McDonald's short stint as Death.

Anyway, I really liked this episode...especially the Stewie/Brian/Queen subplot. When I was little, I was scared to death of these posters for the musicals Sweeney Todd and Miss Saigon (the first looked like Bozo the clown drenched in blood and the other looked like some scary shadow of Mary Poppins, didn't find out it was a helicopter til later), so I was sympathetic.

hamsammich229

hamsammich229

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

The Madonna video with the burning crosses.

I watched this episode at a bowling alley with no sound or captions.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

Stewie: "Why is he so sad?? He's already killed all of mankind!!!"

Maybe he got the robot mixed up with Black Sabbath's "Iron Man".

I always did think the cover of Queen's News of the World was kind of odd. Strange to see these references to things from my youth and realize how long ago they happened.
I also feel compelled to point out that the song "Killer Queen" isn't on News of the World.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

The Queen album cover was based on a painting by Frank Kelly Freas on the cover of sci-fi magazine Astounding Science Fiction from the fifties as this article explains. The capture on the cover said "Please.... fix it, Daddy?"

CrabShaman

CrabShaman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

My GOD...I thought I was the only one who was freaked out by that (though the show was absolutely fantastic).

Still, that whole subplot was fantastic (except for the "Thanks for letting me be Yoda" dealie...Jon Benjamin has precisely one cartoon voice), and I sympathized with Stewie!

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

What does the Yoda remark mean?

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

What does the Yoda remark mean?

Yoda in the Star Wars episodes was voiced by Jon Benjamin, who plays Carl.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Stewie being frightened by Queen's News of The World album was great. We were all scared of random things as kids, so it was great to see Stewie react to something like that. The album cover in the lottery ticket was gold.-InvaderNorbert

The Stewie story was great and I really enjoyed seeing him being afraid of that album cover, although, I thought that Brian handled it wrong. If Brian really wanted Stewie to be not afraid of the album cover, he should have just let Stewie put it in his mouth first and/or explained it was just a picture, with out painting the damn thing his the wall. In addition, when I was a little kid I was afraid of the Unsolved Mysteries theme song .

I also loved that Barry made a cameo, at the fat camp, and when they first found the strangled body I was hoping that we were going to see Evil Barry!

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:13 AM.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Good episode, nice twist at the end.

Also fyi - "Killer Queen" is also the name of a stand used by Yoshikage Kira in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure act IV.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Apparently, not only did Barry from AD make a cameo at the fat camp, but my brother spotted a fat version of Toshi (supposedly wearing his exact same outfit) seen near Barry when the campers are outside. I don't think that was true, but if anyone can confirm, that'd be nice.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

In addition, when I was a little kid I was afraid of the Unsolved Mysteries' theme song .

Holy crap, me, too!

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Last Time Lord, I am glad that someone else was afraid of the Unsolved Mysteries theme song.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

If Brian really wanted Stewie to be not afraid of the album cover

He didn't though, did he? Brian was using the picture to torment him, at least for most of the episode.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

The Unsolved Mysteries theme was creepy but what really gave me nightmares was an episode about devil worshipers! I think being raised Catholic had something to do with being freaked out by that and The Joker's Wild devil! Also as a kid I actually thought those re-enactments were real!

Did anybody else get the M.A.S.H. season finale reference? "It was a baby!!"

Edited by Limbonaut, Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:07 AM.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

Did anybody else get the M.A.S.H. season finale reference? "It was a baby!!"

Even better: "It wasn't chicken, it was a baby!" Yeah, I thought it was a pretty obscure reference, even if that does remain the most-watched episode of a series ever.

ciiker123

ciiker123

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Way to knock those of us in Detroit when we're down with indifference, S.M. !

But overall, I liked the episode and the plot with Stewie being terrified of the Queen "News of the World" album cover. I can remember seeing it in the record section of Hudson's (remember Hudson's, and if so, that they had a record/music dept. next to the Hi-Fi stereos) as a child and being both extremely disturbed and baffled by it. Also, I think Stewie's observations were so similar to mine it was eerie as with the look of sadness on the giant robot's face and the broken, bloodied bodies of the band members in his hand. Of course, it was variation on an old Sci-Fi book cover art called, "Daddy, Fix It, Please?" as another poster pointed out.

And just like Stewie at the end, I came to terms with the fear and embraced/accepted it. Awww, a milestone to face and overcome your childhood fears. However, the "devil" on "Joker's Wild" will still continue to freak me out.

LaJefaza

LaJefaza

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

This clip from Sesame Street used to TERRIFY me as a kid and to be honest, still makes me a little nervous now.

When did Brian become so mean? What was the purpose of tormenting Stewie?

I loved Stewie being kickass and rescuing his brother. Took me back to the episode where he calmly took a gun and shot his way out of a quincianera a few weeks ago. I love that little badass. And somehow when the writers have him actually behave like a baby (being scared, etc) he's actually adorable, at least to me.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

LaJefaza
I loved Stewie being kickass and rescuing his brother.

I was only surprised Stewie lifted a finger to save Chris because of the vault episode, when he made it clear to Brian that he (Brian) was the only one in the family he cared about. I guess that was a lie, and he cares about Chris, too.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Lazer Tag was pretty neat. I was also one of those people who had an unnatural Lazer Tag talent. Other than that, a pretty "meh" episode.

"You're lying to yourself, Brian. Like those girls who say their best friends are attractive." To quote the Simpsons: It's true but he shouldn't say that.

I didn't like how Lois was pissed that Peter & Brian went out. She wondered where they were, yet Peter CLEARLY told her.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

So this whole thing was about seeing whether or not Peter and Brian are genuinely friends? Sheesh. That's a half-hour of my time wasted.

Though I did laugh at the experiment also being done on Lois, Meg, and Bonnie at the end.

jeff6286

jeff6286

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I thought that there were some pretty funny bits...

-Surfin' Bird! but Amnesiac Peter doesn't care for it.

-Who else but Shirt Pants?! I thought he would give us an alternate version of "Giggity", but I guess he drew a blank.

-Of course Quagmire must have a dog, with the collar, leash, giant cage, etc. in his house. Then even with his amnesia he very quickly realizes that he doesn't much care for Brian.

-Peter finding it hilarious how weirdly shaped the bra was that he found in Meg's, er, I mean his own room.

Overall I thought it was a pretty decent episode, although had anyone ever even considered the fact before that Peter didn't consider Brian a friend? That was a bit out of the blue, but I guess it was at least a happy ending for Brian. It seems like at the end there should have been some reference to the Stewie kills Lois and Lois kills Stewie episodes, where the whole thing turned out to be a simulation, and Brian pointed out that it was a total ripoff to the audience, like the whole story was a dream, and Stewie pointed out that a simulation was completely different than a dream.

Edited by jeff6286, Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Other than the giant screw to the audience ending, it wasn't bad. Amensia!Peter was actually a halfway decent person.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I loved this one. It's one of my favorite episodes from this season so far.

Joe (paraphrased): Look, guys, I found a police uniform in my house. This can mean only one thing - I'm a STRIPPER!