The Old Wire Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4919 replies to this topic

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 4:09 PM

How do we know this? Is there an article somewhere? If so, would you mind linking to it? I'd enjoy reading it. Thank you.

Here ya go.

This may have been posted in this thread before

Ghlade

Ghlade

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 4:09 PM

OMG! They killed Fruit!

"What the *%@" ya'll standing around here for? Man, get to work!"

bluenote123

bluenote123

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 4:20 PM

Here ya go.

This may have been posted in this thread before

Thank you!

Hewlett

Hewlett

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 4:53 PM

dronkmunk,

Pearson may be gay in real life, and the character she plays may be close to who she is or who she was in real life, but until her sexuality is dealt with on the show I don't think you can consider her a gay character.

And whatever homosexual tendecies you saw in Randy seem to stem from your own issues, since I doubt any other member here picked up on this "ghey" vibe that you alone managed to single out.

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 4:56 PM

i could be wrong, was just wondering if anyone else has a sick mind like me

TropGirl

TropGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:13 PM

I think casting people like Snoop and Little Melvin are exactly what this show is all about, in a sense.

Little Melvin was caught by Ed Burns, served his time, and came out a reformed man. He could go and have a coffee with Burns and everything was fine. I think he does some community work now that he's out.

As bleak and hopeless as the show is, there are always just enough flashes of possiblity. Having living proof that 'once a gangsta, always a gangsta' isn't necessarily true working on the show should be seen as a positive thing.

Regardless of whether or not Little Melvin seems to be truly reformed (and I don't know enough about that to join the debate), I think this is an excellent point. The article dronkmunk links about Snoop is very indicative of the fact that she is not the same person she grew up as, and she is damn thankful for that. If being on The Wire has helped bring about part of this transformation in her life, I think that's amazing, and that it shows just how much David Simon is willing to live by the ideas he professes. It's one thing to say you have sympathy for the people who grow up in such a hard world, but not everyone would actually give the survivors of that world a job. So props to David Simon.

I also think the presence of a Snoop or a Little Melvin - people who have gone through the experiences detailed on the show and come out the other side - also helps justify the treatment of a character like Dennis, who had to face up to what he was and what he had become and choose which path to take, and through his own inner strength and some decent people giving him some support, was able to change the direction of his life.

Regarding the reappearance of some of our favorite characters (don't read if you don't want cast information for Episode 2 and the Episode 3 teaser - but I won't reveal anything but the appearance or non-appearance of a character; no plot):

Dennis, Bubbles and Wee-Bey are all in Episode 2. The corrupt State Senator (Clay Davis?) is also present.

In the preview for Episode 3, I caught glimpses of Omar and Bunny.

I'm glad HBO finally updated the character bios; it was driving me mad how dated they were. It's quite excellent now, however. And I FINALLY have my answer as to my lingering confusion over Lestor's wedding ring (he's a widower).

Edited by TropGirl, Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:25 PM.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:15 PM

I like this show, and I usually get the "gist" of it (and I'm from Baltimore originally, so that's another reason I'm interested), but lord help me if I can make out even 25% of what the street characters are saying at any given time. (With the cops, my percentage is better--maybe 80%.) I probably should just turn on the closed-captioning, but I have this stubborn streak that says the show should make a little effort to meet me halfway on the diction thing. I know they're going for "authenticity"--but just maybe the show would pull in better ratings (and assure itself of renewal) if more people could follow it! How big a compromise would that be, really?

Cut me slack. I'm old.

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

I probably should just turn on the closed-captioning, but I have this stubborn streak that says the show should make a little effort to meet me halfway on the diction thing.

No. No. No.

Turn on the CC. That's what I do.

vcalzone

vcalzone

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:30 PM

I would be SO lost without closed captioning. I consider it the best invention in the world for someone like me with subpar hearing and a short attention span.

But I definitely didn't see a look of gay attraction in Randy's eyes. I thought it was more a look of "you knew we were wasting our time and didn't say anything". And I think there's an inherent level of homoeroticism in making fresh piss balloons. But you don't think that way when you're younger. Besides, in the second episode, they're all standing around talking about the hot girls that they're going to meet once school starts back, and Randy seems particularly interested. And as far as Snoop goes, I don't think her sexuality will ever come up. She seems more asexual than homosexual.

Besides, given the hundreds of characters we've seen on this show, to have about 5-10% be homosexual or bisexual doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by vcalzone, Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:32 PM.

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:36 PM

Besides, given the hundreds of characters we've seen on this show, to have about 5-10% be homosexual or bisexual doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility

good point, vcal. i guess it adds to the realism.

And i suppose we may never have snoops prefrence discussed on the show, but how funny would it be to see her and kima in the interragation room, with snoop trying to put the moves on, or vice versa (as a technique to get a confession or something). Don't tell me you don't want to see that.

But in regards to randy being teh ghey, i take it back. i just got schooled

Edited by dronkmunk, Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:34 PM.

bluenote123

bluenote123

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:47 PM

And i suppose we may never have snoops prefrence discussed on the show, but how funny would it be to see her and kima in the interragation room, with snoop trying to put the moves on, or vice versa (as a technique to get a confession or something).

Um, no. Kima's hot. Snoop is not. Not to mention, Snoop looks like she's sixteen (even if she is supposed to be older, she doesn't look older, and she certainly doesn't look her real age, 25) -- it would be a little bit too much like jailbait.

Now, the woman that Kima slept with at the end of last season -- IIRC, she was hot. If Kima is going to cheat, it may as well be with a woman who is her match in the looks department!

Edited by bluenote123, Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:48 PM.

Lokar

Lokar

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:46 PM

I've probably seen the Wire so many times that the diction and language isn't noticeable to me anymore, but I pretty much always understand what's going on and pretty much everything of what's being said.

Don't rely on CC either, just watch the show as many times as possible!

Seriously, though, I'm the whitest guy (culturally) anyone could possibly meet, and I understand what's going on. Like Deadwood, once you've seen enough episodes I imagine it should come pretty easy. It's true that softening the colloquialisms (someone pointed out in one of the documentaries that it was the first script they ever read that came with a glossary) would probably increase its accessibility, but who wants that? I think I'd rather there not be a fifth season than watch a compromised Wire.

I don't remember this being posted, but if there are any Brits out there, and they are unaware of the genius of Charlie Brooker (writes for the Guardian, amongst other things), he had a show recently called "Screen Wipe". He generally just disparages all the wretched television and conventions out there in a very humourous fashion, but in this clip, he discusses the brilliance of the Wire:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sZ2iGYwdEi8

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:49 PM

I already miss Bunny.

He shows up this season working in the same school as Prez

Edited by Puds38, Sep 12, 2006 @ 5:37 PM.

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:51 PM

Um, no. Kima's hot. Snoop is not. Not to mention, Snoop looks like she's sixteen (even if she is supposed to be older, she doesn't look older, and she certainly doesn't look her real age, 25) -- it would be a little bit too much like jailbait.

yeah, and plus that would be retarded, now that i think about it

Edited by dronkmunk, Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:54 PM.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:56 PM

I have the perfect solution to the boys' troubles -- Cedric and Rhonda can adopt them. I wanted Cedric and Marla to adopt Wallace all those years ago, so really he owes it to me to adopt somebody I love on this show. If they'll only take one, they should take Dukie.

I know, I know not very realistic. On any another drama, Carver, Sydnor, Daniels, and Freamon would all end up with one of the boys. I know it won't happen, but where these boys are concerned, I don't want realism, I want a happy ending.

If David Simon and/or Ed Burns happen to stumble across our little corner of the world, I hope they realize I will hunt them down and beat them up if any of the boys die.

I really want Dukie to not be pitiful because, I'll say it, he is my most favorite. I just want to bring him home, and let him be loved, clean, and fed 3 meals a day and healthy snacks. Randy is sweet, but he has somebody who is taking care of him. I'm a little worried about Michael too. Namond needs to leave. Dukie. alone. If the boys were in my class, Dukie would totally be the teacher's pet. I always pick the smelliest ones to love the best.

We are watching the second episode after we put the kids to bed. One of my friends called and said the second one was better than the first.

Edited by VeronicaNC, Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:13 PM.

Season Pass

Season Pass

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 5:57 PM

Lokar: Seriously, though, I'm the whitest guy (culturally) anyone could possibly meet, and I understand what's going on. Like Deadwood, once you've seen enough episodes I imagine it should come pretty easy.

Well, experiences do vary. I've been watching (and re-watching) from the beginning and still find some of the dialect -- case in point being Snoop's side of the Hardware Barn scene and her followup in the car with Chris -- really hard to follow. Not universally, but certain characters, particularly those with especially pronounced accents. Maybe it's just aging ears, but I find I usually turn on the CC for at least part of the second viewing of each episode, and it makes a tremendous difference. Same thing, actually, with Deadwood, although my comprehension is usually a lot higher with that show.

SoTired

SoTired

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:01 PM

The other thing that is extremely smart is the way that he is obligating the young children to him by tossing around money. That's how you consolidate your hold on power -- you hook the youngsters, make them loyal to you (or at least, your money), make them impressed by you ("Your name will ring out"), and you train them to take the place of the people who will eventually die or go to jail.

Perhaps another terrorism parallel. That is to say At least one side in both wars (terrorism and drugs) get thier recruits the same way money and then a little brainwashing. I leave it up to you to determine which side is which.

I think the hiding of the bodies is a depressing commentary on the life of these stoop kids. And perhaps some nasty foreshadowing. It says - in effect - that no one knows these kids are dead and gone. At least no one who cares enuf to report it to the authorities.

Random thought: No Omar this episode :(

I don't think Omar has appeared before ep 3. But I too am eagerly awaiting his appearance.

I thought Bodie was getting set up to be the "smart ass pawn," who would climb his way up the ladder and become a major player.

I mentioned this in a spoiler bar earlier, but I never thought that Bodie would make it past the pawn stage. Why? Mainly cause of the foreshadowing that D gave. He basically said - hell no not you or I or anyone is gonna become the queen. And if you are a regular chess player you may know that promoting a pawn is seldom a good strategy and as such, it never really happens. The pawns just don't have the flexability to make it across the board. The rules of the game limit what they can do or where they can go.

Props to the poster upthread who unpacked the theme in the first scene (under spoiler bars).

'Twas me. I know, it shameless, but I am sure not getting any kudos from the institutions I am involved with. To stress a theme.

Finally, about Chris. So much word. That guy reminds me of a help desk personell. He is just so sick of all the people calling in and bugging him with thier stupid issues. So he is just cutting them off with a short answer that is so obviously a lie. Only thing is - he killing folks, not telling them to reboot thier PC.

Edited by SoTired, Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:39 PM.

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:22 PM

I hate to bring you all down this road again, but is anyone who saw episode 4.1 on demand in advance having trouble with OD in regard to episode 4.2? Now I am one of the unlucky ones who is not getting the episode put up when it should be!

Andrew J.

Andrew J.

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:24 PM

Pearson may be gay in real life, and the character she plays may be close to who she is or who she was in real life, but until her sexuality is dealt with on the show I don't think you can consider her a gay character.

To the best of my recollection, there's only a single reference to Snoop's sexuality over the course of the season: Another member of the Stanfield crew says something like "I could use a nice piece of pussy" and she replies "You and me both" or "You're not the only one" or words to that effect.

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:34 PM

To the best of my recollection, there's only a single reference to Snoop's sexuality over the course of the season: Another member of the Stanfield crew says something like "I could use a nice piece of pussy" and she replies "You and me both" or "You're not the only one" or words to that effect.

A HA!

vcalzone

vcalzone

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:39 PM

The other thing that is extremely smart is the way that he is obligating the young children to him by tossing around money.

Which reminds me of the best parallel I've seen on the show so far this season, "If they're just giving money away, I'll take it!" Fucking beautiful.

And I guess that answers that question. Disappointing. I was hoping that they'd largely ignore it. I guess it was only exposed in passing, but still, I was hoping it would just be something that would be left unsaid. But if Rawls stays closeted, I guess I can live with it.

Edited by vcalzone, Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:42 PM.

zapruder

zapruder

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 6:49 PM

Mayor Royce gets blown and fucked in the same episode! And was that the mayoral staff I saw?

bluenote123

bluenote123

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:06 PM

Mayor Royce gets blown and fucked in the same episode! And was that the mayoral staff I saw?

Yep. I almost went blind.

vcalzone, you said this:

And I guess that answers that question. Disappointing. I was hoping that they'd largely ignore it. I guess it was only exposed in passing, but still, I was hoping it would just be something that would be left unsaid. But if Rawls stays closeted, I guess I can live with it.

What was the question?

prophetreturns

prophetreturns

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:10 PM

whats with all teh gheyness this season?

Man, that is some awful example of spelling. But thinks for the contribution anyway. By the way the HBO The Wire boards are three feet to the left. You'd love 'em.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

• Interests:What, you mean there's a world outside of TV?

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:11 PM

dronkmonk, you'd better check the FAQ around spelling, grammar, and punctuation nor you're likely to get pinged by a mod.

bratschenspieler

bratschenspieler

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:15 PM

I think the hiding of the bodies is a depressing commentary on the life of these stoop kids. And perhaps some nasty foreshadowing. It says - in effect - that no one knows these kids are dead and gone. At least no one who cares enuf to report it to the authorities.

I was wondering about this myself -- how realistic this would be; that none of the vics are reported as missing to the police, and that there are no investigations ongoing. Maybe there are, but noone's put the pieces together yet?

Especially, I was wondering about the cute girl from the end of season 3 (last episode, even?) that Marlo shot in the tits and the mouth. I remember some character reporting her demise, but I don't remember if Marlo was credited with the kill, and I certainly don't remember the police discussing the case -- does this mean that she's one of the rowhome dumps? Seems like she had almost a middle class life, compared to many of the "street" characters on the show -- someone whose disappearance would have been taken seriously. Any thoughts?

dronkmunk

dronkmunk

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:25 PM

Especially, I was wondering about the cute girl from the end of season 3 (last episode, even?) that Marlo shot in the tits and the mouth. I remember some character reporting her demise, but I don't remember if Marlo was credited with the kill, and I certainly don't remember the police discussing the case -- does this mean that she's one of the rowhome dumps? Seems like she had almost a middle class life, compared to many of the "street" characters on the show -- someone whose disappearance would have been taken seriously. Any thoughts?

I think he was sloppier then. It was Charles the Slim Thug who reported her dead to Avon. Marlo and Chris left the body there, and there were witnesses, but I don't remember the police being savvy. But Marlo's rap sheet does have bodies on it already. He used to be a hitter himself.

prophetreturns

prophetreturns

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:45 PM

I probably should just turn on the closed-captioning, but I have this stubborn streak that says the show should make a little effort to meet me halfway on the diction thing. I know they're going for "authenticity"--but just maybe the show would pull in better ratings (and assure itself of renewal) if more people could follow it! How big a compromise would that be, really?

While they’re at it why don’t they just resort to flashbacks to remind viewers of key moments? Why don’t they use strategically placed music/soundtracks to effect mood? Why don’t they have cases wrapped up neatly every episode? While we’re at it perhaps they should reduce the amount of characters, make the good guys less flawed and the so-called bad guys less three dimensional and have the cops win every time. Al of these things, like the dialect suggestions you made, would make the show more accessible to the mainstream viewing audience. But IMO opinion it takes away from the legitimacy of the show and it compromises the storytelling. Just my opinion. Like I wrote earlier I had a hard time understanding Snoop as well in that scene. But her accent is authentic so I don’t have a problem with it. I simply have to concentrate more and if push comes to shove pull out the ol, reliable CC.

I felt the same way when I heard about this activity in al the spoilers in the reviews. No one is gonna care much about young, poor black people disappearing, especially if they have criminal records.

. I remember some character reporting her demise, but I don't remember if Marlo was credited with the kill, and I certainly don't remember the police discussing the case -- does this mean that she's one of the rowhome dumps? Seems like she had almost a middle class life, compared to many of the "street" characters on the show

They never hid her body. They left her there in her yard. And there probably weren’t any witnesses (at least nor forthcoming witnesses) for the police to get any ideas about Marlo’s involvement.

One little touch that I think was accurate was the school still being criminally short on teachers as the school year was just about to start.

“All right. I’ll be right down. Not a goddamn thing up in here works like it should.”

That school attendant is the queen of the deadpan.

vcalzone

vcalzone

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 7:41 PM

What was the question?

Whether Snoop was gay or whether her sexuality was just a non-issue. Having Omar partner with a lesbian couple seemed inspired, but bringing on another openly gay character (particularly another one quite comfortable wielding a gun) seems like it might be a stretch in terms of believability. Though I can certainly see how it might have just been coincidence this time around. Felicia is picture-perfect in that role, and to have her pretend to be interested in guys might not have suited her. She did say she wanted to be a role model for the gay community in that interview.

TarHeelTeacher

TarHeelTeacher

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2006 @ 8:08 PM

I was wondering about this myself -- how realistic this would be; that none of the vics are reported as missing to the police, and that there are no investigations ongoing. Maybe there are, but noone's put the pieces together yet?

I thought it was very realistic, but I work with families like these. I teach children like the four boys. I had a parent who didn't figure out until 8:00 pm her child didn't come home from school, and then didn't figure it out until I took him home. The child was 8 at the time. The child had gone to after-school tutoring at a local center (the parent had signed him up). Meanwhile, the tutoring people called me to come get him and take him home. I drive up to the projects and intead of, "5-0! 5-0!" being screamed, I hear, "Teacher's here. Teacher's here." Which is kind of hysterical if you think about it.

Y'all don't even want to hear about all the sorry parents who take the Christmas parents that have been donated to their children by local charities and sell them for drug money.

The people Chris and Snoop are killing, as far as we know, are dealers and the like, and are not, as Omar would say, "citizens." There are some people who disappear and nobody notices. The families report it and it draws a lot of attention on them from the police. The police go digging and they may find something you don't want them to find.

Plus, the people we have seen Snoop and Chris kill are adults. They may not have families they see often enough to know they are missing. I am sure some have been reported missing Some of their victims may have been reported missing, but I won't find it strange if some have not. I know he is a stone cold killer, but I am kind of crushing on Chris. He's purdy.

Okay, I just watched the second episode. And oh my good Lord. Poor Herc must be really scarred for life. Bless his heart. You can't unsee that. I loved how he told Valchek that he wouldn't have a problem playing dumb. I thought the look on his face was perfect. Herc and Carv together again. Squee! Sherrod broke my heart too. I really think Dukie's story could very well kill me this season. IMO, Herc has the best lines in episode 2, though Davis and his, "SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" was fun. The brief scene with Prez and Bubbles seeing each other at the school was good.

You would think since I teach kids like the four boys every single day, I wouldn't be as concerned about fictional characters, but damn it is like Burns and Simon are trying to kill me. I'm with anybody who wants to beat them up if one the boys get killed. I really just want a happy ending for Dukie too. And Randy. And Michael. And Namond.

Poor Prez has no idea what he has gotten himself into. From personal experience, these kinds of kids have a way of setting up camp in your heart, and you can't sleep at night for worrying about what the hell is going on at home.

Edited by TarHeelTeacher, Sep 11, 2006 @ 8:51 PM.