The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51617 replies to this topic

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:04 PM

That's sad. He's actually advertising that Carrot Top will be a guest on his show. I should have known he was Canadian with the CTV reference. I was thinking he was some sports guy I never heard of.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:46 PM

Totally boring show. Not even remotely the same kind of show as TDS. A Canadian version of Leno or Letterman.

Comparing Bullard to Letterman and Leno is an insult to them, and I don't even find Leno funny.

I can't believe Global execs gave Mike Bullard a talkshow. Had they ever seen his CTV show? He has to be the blandest, most unfunny host. The few times I tried to watch his old talkshow, I was left cringing, feeling bad that the guests had to chat with him.

Anyway, back to TDS, I smiled when I saw the Stewart vs. Bullard TV Guide because I figured the reign of Jon had begun. :)

New episode tonight! I can't wait.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:14 PM

Stephen Colbert throwing himself out the chair was too much. It's so nice to have TDS back.

Is it just me or does Howard Dean talk strange? It sounded like he was speaking another language during the moment of Zen.

Edited by malm3, Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:31 PM.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:38 PM

I loved the entire ep! 'Hitting secretaries instead of banging them,' 'any jerkoff can get on the cover of that magazine,' so many funny moments. And maybe it's me, but I can't listen to Tom Brokaw speak without hearing Chris Parnell doing his voice, which sends me into a fit of giggles, so it's hard to concentrate on what he's actually saying.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:27 AM

Thank god TDS is back, oh how I have missed you.

And I usually like Tom Brokaw, but I cannot stand the common repeated idea that W got elected because he connected with the "people" better. He only connected better with five residents of the DC area and a couple of hundred of voters who managed to have their votes legally counted in Florida.

However, lines like "hitting secretaries instead of banging them" is why I love this show.

Edited by biakbiak, Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:42 AM.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:41 AM

Jon should get another Emmy right now for keeping a straight face when Colbert threw himself out of the chair.

JoyWalker

JoyWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:40 AM

...and for the bit when Stephen sat back down and they stared at each other for a long, long moment, as if Jon might snap at any time. Brilliant.

Edited by JoyWalker, Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:40 AM.

lokison

lokison

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:34 AM

I was supposed to be at the taping yesterday. My stupid husband didn't get time off from work (he would have had to leave early) so we didn't make it. I could throttle him!

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:12 AM

Noooooo! I was so looking forward to living vacariously through you.

Not only should Jon get an Emmy but Colbert deserves one too. Unfortunately, I think they'd end up in the same category so I wouldn't know who to root for.

bobatou

bobatou

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:36 AM

I loved the entire ep! 'Hitting secretaries instead of banging them,' 'any jerkoff can get on the cover of that magazine,'

As amused I was by the above, I laughed and laughed at the Dean-tearing-the-head-off-the-goat picture. Yes, I am truly easily amused.

Levitate This

Levitate This

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

Colbert showed some real athletic flair when he threw himself out of the chair. Between fits of laughter I was truly impressed :")

I am so glad to have the show back.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

My stupid husband didn't get time off from work (he would have had to leave early) so we didn't make it

loki forgive me for asking, but why didn't you go without him? Tickets are hard to come by, so I say go for it. Sorry you didn't make it this time, but fingers crossed for getting tickets again.

raspberrytea

raspberrytea

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

Did anyone else notice the simpson reference. When he was talking about britney's marriage he said that having a vegas wife was common even Ned Flanders has one. It was hysterical.

dzdzsty

dzdzsty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:46 PM

Raaaaage. Why didn't Comedy Central replay it at 1 a.m.? I missed the 11, saw the comments here, and went out to see..... Colin Quinn. That sucks. Booo. Now I'll have to wait for the reruns again. grrrrr.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:24 PM

I always tape the 10 am replay. That way, I don't have to worry about sleep, and daytime isn't usually bumped. FWIW. Downside: reading this thread at work after you guys have seen it, and I won't get to watch until I get home...

Groovy Girl

Groovy Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:43 PM

LOVED the Ned Flanders shout out. I was amazed at Jon's interview with Tom Brokaw. First of all, Tom Brokaw seems very comfortable on the show and with Jon but I was so impressed with how skillfully and subtley Jon asks his questions and phrases his follow ups. It was so refressing to watch an interviewer who has a grasp of the subject matter, asks fair open ended questions, and truly seems to want to hear the answer.

Hear that Barbara Wah-Wah? That's what a good interview looks like.

lokison

lokison

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:58 PM

iMissEthan, I don't mind you're asking - we are a one car family, and he had the vehicle. I couldn't even get to the train station by the time he called me to say he couldn't leave work.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

Damn loki, that sucks. I am a zero car family, but I feel your pain. I hope he does something great for you to make up for making you miss the taping. A heartfelt letter to Jon explaining the situation might garner an autographed photo...

getbacktowork

getbacktowork

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

So, when Jon says people on the internet are crazy, that wasn't a TWOP shout-out. Was it??

WAS IT???????

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

Seeing as I think TWoP attracts some of the least crazy people I've encountered on the internet, I'm not sure.

Another thing I loved last night was when Jon was talking about Britney Spears and called her something like a "soulless marketing machine. Oops, I mean singer." Hee. Makes me wonder what he got her as a wedding present.

Edited by HeadCase, Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:58 PM.

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:41 PM

Did anyone else notice the simpson reference. When he was talking about britney's marriage he said that having a vegas wife was common even Ned Flanders has one. It was hysterical.

ITA. In fact, in the season following the "Homer and Ned get married in Vegas" episode, the "Vegas wives" come to Springfield to pester the boys a second time.

JoyWalker

JoyWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:17 PM

Well, Sorkin apparently thinks that TWOP is full of loonies -- maybe he's been talking to Jon about us?

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:15 PM

but I was so impressed with how skillfully and subtley Jon asks his questions and phrases his follow ups.

It's amazing, isn't it? Anyone who remembers his early shows knows...he really sucked at interviews. Now he's in the driver's seat. Certainly he's not as awed by his guests, and he's now hit enough speed bumps to know exactly how fast or slow to go with some celebrities. And I was a Kilborne fan, too, thinking Craig had a kind of mocking gravitas in his delivery that Jon didn't delivering the faux news lines.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:16 PM

Oh, who gives a flying fig what Sorkin thinks?

ETA to add: I can't wait for the 7pm airing to catch all the stuff I missed from laughing so hard.

Edited by Pulpbomb, Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:18 PM.

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

Well, Sorkin apparently thinks that TWOP is full of loonies -- maybe he's been talking to Jon about us?

Can we call it The Subplot of Stewart's Discontent now?

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:33 PM

Rob Corddry has died on Mars. Should we be taking up a collection for flowers?

jr1234

jr1234

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:39 PM

The whole bit abou the crocidile hunter had me rolling!! So, glad I finally started watching this show. Love Jon Stewert- he's hysterical and not too hard on the eyes.

Edited by jr1234, Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:45 PM.

lucyla8

lucyla8

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:58 AM

Raaaaage. Why didn't Comedy Central replay it at 1 a.m.? I missed the 11, saw the comments here, and went out to see..... Colin Quinn. That sucks. Booo. Now I'll have to wait for the reruns again. grrrrr.

Comedy Central is replaying The Daily Show at 12:30am instead this week. It should go back to the regular time (1am) next week.

dzdzsty

dzdzsty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:18 AM

lucyla8, thanks! I actually figured that out today. At 12:50!!! Arrggggghhhhh. Must force myself up in time for the 10 am show.

At least I caught the end of the Elijah Wood interview - two small cute men I adore together. yay!

Any reason why Comedy Central changed the showing times this week?

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:47 AM

Some people at work (okay, me) were making fun of the space geeks during a meeting yesterday, so to see Jon do it too was extra hilarious.

I'm sure Jon's putting this ep in the "to be rerun" pile. It had me snorting start to finish.