The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51623 replies to this topic

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

Loved the Purim bit. I only knew a little bit about it, but the knowledge I have made the extra commentary by Jon, about the rabbatical school and the Lutherans shrugging, even funnier.

The interview was very spot on. The problem I have experienced in speaking with some at my work, they see, because they live near or know, people who are not working and appear living well off of welfare/unemployment. I'm sure, from my own knowledge/experience, that these people likely have other not-so legal income, but all my co-workers see is 'not working, getting welfare, living well,' and they buy in to the mantra of "cut welfare, they're all just moochers" mentality.

I think its important to show the people who are working and who are struggling despite their hard work. I think they need to acknowledge and show that some people are moochers and explain that these are the exception and they are breaking the law, usually in many ways.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

With last night's show, Jessica Williams has shot into the upper echelon of TDS correspondents. That bit was hilarious, and her ability to keep a straight face during it and during Jon's breakdown made it even funnier.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

I agree; Williams killed during that bit. Killed. Bringing out the noisemaker slayed me dead.

Man, that MoZ made me want to punch that dude in the neck.

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

With last night's show, Jessica Williams has shot into the upper echelon of TDS correspondents. That bit was hilarious, and her ability to keep a straight face during it and during Jon's breakdown made it even funnier.

Agreed. That was amazing. I always love watching Jon lose it because when he does it's so infectious but Jess held her ground and stayed true to the bit. Loved it.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

That was a totally authentic Purim noisemaker (gregor, or grogger, depending on who you ask), exactly like the ones we used when I was a kid. They were a very specific type that got passed out every year for the festivities. Fun times!

I like that they are trying to mix up the targets of mockery this week. And they nailed the audience anticipation ("I thought they were going to talk about the sequester...").

Also really like how genuinely excited Jon has seemed to be about the guests lately. The healthcare price gouging expose and the USA hunger documentary both seem to be things he really wanted to talk about, and not just people who he dragged in because they're making the rounds. If Jon can't get excited about the guest, I always wonder why I'm supposed to care, especially when the topic is a movie I have already seen advertized a million times, or a politician who's talking points are already well-known, and Jon's only going to pander to them because he can't believe they're actually willing to come on his show. I think the show is at its best when Jon gives a shit and makes an effort, and either challenges the circulating drivel or brings to light something not otherwise being adequately exposed. I don't need to stay up til 11:30pm to see Adam Sandler or Jennifer Anniston, or listen to Condoleesa Rice read the blurb off the back of her book.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

I'm sure his failure to file was inadvertent, but I wouldn't categorize him as doing "absolutely nothing wrong."

When I said he did absolutely nothing wrong, I meant he did absolutely nothing wrong enough to warrant he's a racist who shredded the file.

Not being Jewish a number of the references in Jessica William's speech went over my head, although I was able to figure some of them out. But the main thing was she was making Jon laugh and that's good enough for me.

On a related note, how can you complain about anti-semitism and then be so stupid enough to wear blackface? And think of it as joke?

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 27, 2013 @ 1:47 PM.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

Here's hoping no news breaks from March 8-24:

3/4: Paul Rudd (actor – promoting movie “Admission”)
3/5: Sandra Day O’Connor (former Supreme Court Justice & author – promoting book “Out of Order: Stories from the History of the Supreme Court”)
3/6: Neil DeGrasse Tyson (astrophysicist & author – promoting paperback of “Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier”)
3/7: Tom Coughlin (head coach for the NY Giants & author – promoting book “Earn the Right to Win: How Success in Any Field Starts with Superior Preparation”)

Weeks of 3/11 & 3/18: DARK!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

Yippee! I hope NdGT brings his bathrobe again!

I think the subtitle to Coughlin's book is "...Duh!"

Edited by attica finch, Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:37 PM.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

While I'm not Lutheran I too was thinking that the first segment would be on the sequester, but that Purim segment was absolute gold. Jon and Stephen have a wonderful gift of tact in that they ridicule religious peoples without doing serious mocking of the religion itself. I like that their take on it was by using blackface the congressman was doing a disservice to the holiday itself. Also, as Jessica pointed out, that's bullshit. BWAH!

Agreed. That was amazing. I always love watching Jon lose it because when he does it's so infectious but Jess held her ground and stayed true to the bit. Loved it.

Me too! Jon and Jessica have crazy chemistry together.

Robert Gibbs earning his MSN retro framed analo-glasses. LOL.

"If someone says to you, 'I don't know anything about that but even if I did I wouldn't tell you.' That person knows something about that."

Yippee! I hope NdGT brings his bathrobe again!

OMG - I'm so excited. This is how big of a fangirl of his I am, when the meteor and comet stuff was going on I was secretly happy because that meant NDT would probably be on the news programs.

Edited by happybumblebee1, Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:48 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

Neil dGT is always fun, and I'm looking forward to Sandra Day O'Connor, too. She's proven to be one of the more interesting of the Supremes.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

I'm dreading the Tom Coughlin interview, none of the press conferences I've seen him in thinks he can be a good, funny guest. And shame on TDS' bookers for giving him the Thursday guest spot.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

That was Blackface? I thought that he was pretending to be someone from Jersey Shore.

At first, I kept wondering how Wyatt would have handled the piece, but Jessica really made it her own and I loved how she never broke, despite Jon.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

Apparently, Codepink released a letter they claimed was from Jon that stated the Obama administration needs to tell the truth about their drone strike policy, when in reality he did not! Think Jon will have some choice words to say about Codepink?

As for last night's show, I was not familiar with the Jewish holiday where people dress up as if it was Halloween (but what can I say, I'm a Lutheran). But what I do know is that that guy who dressed up as a black basketball player is a catagory five asshole.

Love to hear from NdGT in the wake of the meteorite touching down on Russia a couple of weeks ago. Less so about Tom Coughlin, who always seems to me to be a human crab.

Two weeks off, eh? Well they do need a break seeing as they've been running non stop since the beginning of the new year. That should give me enough time to go to Montreal and recover from it. ;)

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 8:48 PM

I've been thinking a bit in the last few weeks how we are approaching the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Irag (hey! remember that?), along with all of the build-up anniversaries. I'd really love for TDS to do a few more segments where they dip into their own coverage from 2002-2003, because it would be an interesting angle on what was happening, how TDS has evolved AND a chance for some classic Colbert/Helms/Corddry pieces, probably.

(The press secretary piece tonight was a nice start, but it would have been interesting if they'd shown Jon in 2002 responding to Fleischer.)

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I thought for sure they were going to bring George Stephanopoulus into that bit.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 6:14 AM

I don't know if it's in the extended interview, but does Jon ask R.J. Cutler if, after interviewing the definition of a sociopath - aka, Dick Cheney, he drank himself into blackness or questioned whether humanity can survive after this.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 7:29 AM

UnderCover and I were at the taping last night. A great experience, as always.

We couldn't figure out the theme for the globe this time: The places included Jericho, Boku, New Orleans, and Bombay Beach.

We got to the studio at 2:30 to pick up our tickets, which was our usual time, only to find that we were at the end of a much longer line than usual. But, as often happens when you're higher in ticket number for this show, we got great seats: in the second row on the right of the VIP section. So we were close to the action and rarely blocked by cameras.

Jon came out and talked about how he looked out at the people waiting outside for tickets, and what a bad day it was weatherwise (it was warmish, but gray and rainy in NYC). He said, "We all spent the day inside. Boy, was that the better choice."

The first Q&A question came from a young man who was at first hard to understand, so Jon asked him where he was from (France). Jon said, "Sorry, we're only talking to Americans right now." He then asked the kid why he was in the States, and it turned out he was attending Columbia U. He asked Jon if he considered going to Columbia. Jon said "No, because it turns out you have to take a test to get in."

Then someone asked about Neil deGrasse Tyson and how Tyson had pointed out that the globe at the top of the show rotates the wrong way. Jon said that after NGT revealed that, they looked into correcting it, but it turned out it would be "kind of expensive" to do that: "Neil deGrasse Tyson is a pain in my fucking ass." Then he mentioned that someone had since noted that the error reflected the "ironic" nature of the show and while "The Earth spins one way, the Daily Show has its own spin." Said Jon, "Fuck that guy."

I thought the oddest question of the night was the guy who asked him why he "always used blue notepaper" (I assume he meant the script, but maybe UC can shed light as to whether I got this wrong). Jon started into a spiel about how the color worked better with the studio lights, etc., etc. before admitting "I don't know what I'm talking about; there is no reason." Then the guy followed up with whether they ever considered using different colors for holidays, etc. Jon was like, "Are you kidding? You're talking to someone who wears the same shirt every day and eats the same chicken for lunch."

Jon called on a girl named Sarah next, who said she was celebrating her birthday. Jon said, "Happy birthday—I got you a pen," and when the audience groaned, he went into the usual, "Hey—tickets are free." She wanted to know if there was any potential guest he "geeked out about who hadn't been on yet." He said he really didn't have any particular itch: "Once Springsteen was on, I was pretty much done." He added that, "I wanted Sarah Palin to come on when she was relevant," saying coyly that "I even sent her a personal note."

The following question had to do with whether the show ever had stories they wanted to cover that they didn't get to. Jon noted that TDS "generally doesn't follow the daily news cycle," even though they start the day with editorial meetings the same way a publication might, "but what comes out of that is a perversion" of the editorial process.

Then a group of girls from Gettysburg College said they had a story for him to cover. Jon sighed and sat down on the stage in "okay, I'm listening" mode, and it turned out the story had to do with the campus going into lockdown when a student was discovered carrying a gun. Jon said, "Is that it?" Turned out it was. They bantered a bit about how he and the girls had both gone to such "historic American" colleges—one of the girls mentioned she didn't get in to William and Mary.

The next questioner asked him if he ad libbed his material on the show. Jon said, "It's all off the top of my head!" Then he backpedaled and talked about how the show was collaborative: "So just remember, if you're unhappy with it, we worked really hard on that shitty show."

The final questioner asked him what he would do if he became Pope. Jon said, "Bar mitzvahs and circumcisions for everyone! Let's do this!"

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Q&A this time around. I was particularly glad that the question that always turns up in some form—"Who would win in a mud-wrestling match, you or Stephen?"—never appeared.

One cool thing about our seats was that I was able to read the teleprompter, particularly during the segment with Jon and John Hodgman, and to see how much they adhered to their lines on the screen (clearly the prompter was more of a guide than a "script"). During the interview with R.J. Cutler, the only note on the screen was the date of his film's premiere on Showtime.

Jon looked like he nearly broke his arm handing off the "Merriam-Hodgman" dictionary prop after the script. That was one damn big unabridged dictionary.

I always enjoy watching Jon consult with his producers between acts. He's always very animated and his body language is very receptive. He did a lot of "dancing" to the music on the monitors during breaks last night, too. The Who's "Baba O'Riley"—which he uses as the theme for his stand-up shows—particularly got him going.

And he really seemed to love talking to RJ Cutler. At the end of the show, he spoke to the audience and noted how "thoughtful and measured" Cutler seemed to be, saying that if he had to spend any time with Cheney he'd definitely lose it. I'd say it's worth watching the extended interview to get a better sense of how Jon reacted to Cheney in the documentary.

Wednesday is also the night Jon does the introduction to TDS's International Edition. Jon started by asking the guy from France and anyone else if they'd ever seen the show in another country. One person mentioned seeing it in Germany, and Jon said, "Oh, yes, in Germany they really love watching the funny Jews." The intro, which he began "Bonjour and Gutentag—those are the two countries that I know are watching," had to do withThe Harlem Globetrotters and Dennis Rodman going to North Korea. Jon said, "My advice to the Harlem Globetrotters: if Kim Jong Un challenges you to a game, lose." He also told Dennis Rodman to "take it down a notch. Blonde black guys in pearls and heels are bound to make the North Koreans [miming a head exploding]."

Thanks to UC for getting the tix!

Edited by shamskygirl, Feb 28, 2013 @ 7:39 AM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

Jericho, Boku, New Orleans, and Bombay Beach

No idea about Boku but man-made + natural disasters for the others? It isn't nice to fool with Mother Nature?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

Thanks for the taping report.

One cool thing about our seats was that I was able to read the teleprompter, particularly during the segment with Jon and John Hodgman, and to see how much they adhered to their lines on the screen (clearly the prompter was more of a guide than a "script").

Funny, but watching Hodgman's segment, I was wondering how much they ad-libbed. I think particularly when Jon said bullshit should be in John's dictionary.

I liked Hodgman's line "Too Big to Fail is the rich man’s YOLO." But while I thought the segment was good and funny, it was also depressing, as is the sequestration and all the impending cuts which will only harm the economy. I'm tired of more and more power being given to the rich. Greeb indeed.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

Yay! Taping report! Whee! Thanks, shamskygirl!

"Neil deGrasse Tyson is a pain in my fucking ass."

I don't know whom to love more: Jon, or NdGT, for being the pain.

I really enjoyed the Cutler interview. It clarified something for me. I've always wondered how Cheney, with his horrible health record and advanced age, managed to score a heart transplant. It's clear now he has a basement laboratory where he either harvests the organs of kidnapped hobos or grows organs in petrie dishes in a solution of kitten tears. (Evil, is my point.) I wonder what kind of Silkwood Shower Cutler needed to feel clean again.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

Awesome Awesome taping report, shamskygirl! I love all the details about the questions. Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

I look forward to seeing the show later on.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

Looks like Jon and Tracey had someplace to be after the taping last night.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

I hope any leftover food from that event was donated to City Harvest.

Edited by dubbel zout, Feb 28, 2013 @ 5:00 PM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

I was just thinking the other day that neither shamskygirl or UnderCover had been to a TDS taping in quite a while, and thus not reading about how the show went off. And lo and behold, a taping report from last night's show pops up with every detail meticulously described. Thanks shamskygirl for giving us the scoop. I wish my memory was as good as yours.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

I've finally gotten used to Hodgman's mustache and now he's got a third eyebrow under his lower lip.

bojanglesthe4th

bojanglesthe4th

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 3:05 AM

That taping report was awesome! What's the deal with the globe? Different cities light up? I havn't heard of that before.

I love when Jon and Maddow get together, although the interview felt really short.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:22 AM

I love when Jon and Maddow get together, although the interview felt really short.

I do too, except I wish Jon would learn to pronounce her name properly. It rhymes with mad crow, not mad cow. She was so excited about going on the show tonight and you could tell by the way she leaped out onto the stage. I'm looking forward to the extended interview.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:24 AM

Being a Canadian, Jason was wrong for that Quebec maple syrup cartel piece. Al or Aasif would have been better for that bit.

And I love seeing Rachel Maddow on TDS talking with Jon. The two of them are great together talking about the issues of the day. Oh, and Scalia is a trolling, racist sociopath who should be kicked off the bench.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

I've been hoarding a gallon jug of good ol' American maple syrup for some time now; the Canadian follies worry me not at all. (It's either NYS or VT, I forget which at the moment. Either way, it tastes like Freedom and too-expensive medical care.) On the upside, I never thought to put it on ice cream, and by gum, that sounds good.

I enjoyed the Maddow 'view. I liked her coming out and saying that Scalia is a troll, at which she hinted but did not say on her show earlier in the week. It needs to be said out loud.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

What an awesome taping report, shamskygirl, thank you so much for it. I haven't seen last night's yet, but I did enjoy the Cutler interview, even if it had at its heart things that chill the marrow of my bones, and all that. We ended up talking about how at the time of the election, Cheney really wasn't even discussed that much. He was just one of Bush Original Recipe's cronies and the only thought I personally gave him was "Jeez, how likely is THAT guy to die." Just a scary concept because it turns out "Oh hey, who knew? The actual Prince of Darkness was on the ticket and it barely registered in the media at the time. Eek."

Cutler was, I thought, incredibly good at keep a documentary maker's perspective on the whole thing. Even the brief clips shown brought that across. It seemed clear that Cutler knew, "Yeah, this is one scary bastard." but everything I have seen from that documentary indicates that he sort of leaves it up to the viewer to get there rather than pounding it to death.

Edited by stillshimpy, Mar 1, 2013 @ 12:22 PM.