The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51621 replies to this topic

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

I didn't see Jon's point about if only we had such nitpicking over how to prevent/fix the problem that caused the deaths of four Americans that we do have over the talking points, because it's not like we have a national news channel devoted to the office politics in the Department of Defense. How would he know that isn't going on? Obviously they wouldn't take that fight public.

thethinman

thethinman

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

Oh My God - four Americans were killed? Hmm, seems to me 26 Americans were killed right here in Connecticut by a madman with an assault rifle and I don't see Congress holding endless meetings about that, so excuse me if I fail to buy into this crap that it's so damn important because four Americans were killed.

Of course we remember the outrage over the single day deaths of 240 American soldiers in Lebanon that led to Reagan's impeachment. Oh! Wait! That's right. He was reelected.

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

"Feel free to talk like a sailor."

Dear Lord how I wish she would've taken him up on that. Susan Rice needs her own Anger Translator.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

I think the bit at the end was a reference to a news crew somewhere doing the Harlem Shake(?) on Mardi Gras.

It could be that. Or it could be a reference to this, this, this, this, or all of those videos on youtube.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

I just found out what the Harlem Shake meme was today. And, IMO, it's gotten real old, real fast. But I loved what Jon did in Thursday's MoZ. Instead of everyone joining him, they all disapeared leaving him all alone. Might have been for the best though, I saw Jason in the background and I shudder at the thought of him going topless yet again.

Is everyone aware that there's no TDS and TCR for Monday? (they'll be back on Tuesday though)

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 3:10 AM

Did anyone watch the extended interview with Ambassador Rice? Was it as bad as the parts that were aired?

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

Is everyone aware that there's no TDS and TCR for Monday? (they'll be back on Tuesday though

Boo!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Tonight's episode should be titled "You Can't Make This Stuff Up, Folks." Jon didn't even need to be here tonight, the clips mostly spoke for themselves. Seriously, what the hell is up with Russia that a meteor, a helicopter, a tank, and a truck carrying cows toppling over doesn't faze anyone?

And as for the Tea Party Guy who was for riding Manatees, Al showed remarkable restraint by not just outright saying "Are you for real? Seriously?" to his face. But I guess you need that willpower to work this show.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

Has Jon laughed as hard as with the Russia segment in the past few months? I was bawling seeing the cows topple out of the truck, brush themselves off and walk away. Shit, it is just like a Grand Theft Auto game!

What was the title of the manatee segment? I would've gone with "Oh, The Manateeity," but I'm weird. Not as weird as anybody wanting to ride a sea cow, though.

ETA: Biggest loser from Russian video footage? Tosh.0. That's three minutes of material they'll have to fill.

Edited by Lantern7, Feb 20, 2013 @ 12:03 AM.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 1:57 AM

While watching tonight's show, I fully expected to hear that Russians routinely ride manatees on the road on the way to work. As much as I laughed at the cow tipping, I think I loved the abysmally staged pedestrian "accidents"—bad acting felony, call a lawyer!—the best.

Tea party guy was so crazy I expected his eyes to literally start spinning in his head. I agree Al deserves kudos for restraint.

I would have much preferred to hear Rice's take on the politicization of this issue and how it sandbagged her chances at a cabinet post, which I think is what Jon was trying to get at (and maybe it's covered more in the extended interview) but she was far too diplomatic to play ball on that.

Of course I'm sorry she was sandbagged the way she was, but after seeing this interview I admit to being somewhat glad she didn't get the post. I imagine she wouldn't have trouble with the "diplomatic" aspects of it, but she doesn't communicate the same authority that Clinton and Kerry do.

Loved Ollie's field report on Thursday. "I have the pillow now" may become my go-to phrase when I have trouble getting a word in in future.

Edited by shamskygirl, Feb 20, 2013 @ 2:01 AM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:06 AM

Has Jon laughed as hard as with the Russia segment in the past few months? I was bawling seeing the cows topple out of the truck, brush themselves off and walk away. Shit, it is just like a Grand Theft Auto game!

Jon's just joining the rest of us. I haven't laughed that hard at The Daily Show in months. The guy acting like he got hit by the car, the cows, the fights, the bats, the hatchet, it was all amazing. The show started off slow with the horse in Burger King burgers thing, but damn it picked up massively with Russia.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:28 AM

A few weeks back I had been emailed Russian dashboard-mounted video of car accidents and near-misses, but I didn't know why so many cars had the cameras. Very interesting....

AND HILARIOUS! What a great segment to start the week off with. I may have to watch again.

Also, although gross, the bucket of fried horsemeat, complete with head, was pretty darn funny.

The Tea Party spokesman was unbelievably ridiculous. For a second I wondered if he was punking Al.

Peace_47

Peace_47

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:40 AM

I haven't laughed that hard at The Daily Show in months.

I hear you. The fighter jet and the helicopter, followed by Jon screeching, "Tank!!!" as one rolled across the highway, is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.

Edited by Peace_47, Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:43 AM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 10:31 AM

Re the cow tipped truck: I'm going to presume that cows are physically tougher than humans, but I gotta think that a spill like that onto asphalt is gonna cause at least some bruising. So: what happens to bruised beef? Can it be marketed for consumption? On the other hand, maybe they're dairy cows, and just need a day or two for the milk to un-sour.

This is what occupies my mind over breakfast. That, and the nagging idea that I really could use a hatchet in my glovebox.

The manatees look friendly. I like that they seem to enjoy being petted.

Darth Lechon

Darth Lechon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

I work for a website that hosts videos like these, so I had actually seen most of those clips last week. Still, when you lump them all together like that, it really does illustrate how crazy stuff can get in Russia.

On a shallow note, Alison Brie is breathtaking.

(edited to correct "Allison" to "Alison")

Edited by Darth Lechon, Feb 20, 2013 @ 5:11 PM.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

I had no idea that the actress from Community is also the actress from Mad Men! Wow. Allison Brie is a good actress. (Or maybe I'm just easily fooled by period costumes.) I wonder if she and Zosia Mamet hang out.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

I've been away visiting my parents... in St. Petersburg, FL, where the whole manatee-riding incident took place. We were even at Fort DeSoto Park, the exact location of Manatee-Gate. (Here's a report from the local paper.) Sadly, I did not see Al Madrigal or any manatees during my trip, but it was rather hilarious to come home and see that segment!! Ah, Florida, always a great source of humor to TDS, but despite the wackiness, you can't beat the gorgeous 75-degree February weather.

Anyway, here is the upcoming-guest info:

2/20: Helaine Olen (author – promoting book “Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry”)
2/21: Steven Brill (TIME Contributor – promoting new TIME cover story)

2/25: Donnie Wahlberg (actor & producer – promoting TV show “Boston’s Finest”)
2/26: Lori Silverbush & Kristi Jacobson (filmmakers – promoting documentary “A Place at the Table”)
2/27: R.J. Cutler (filmmaker – promoting documentary “The World According to Dick Cheney”)
2/28: Rachel Maddow (host of “The Rachel Maddow Show” & author – promoting paperback of “Drift”)

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

What was the title of the manatee segment? I would've gone with "Oh, The Manateeity," but I'm weird.

Hee!

The manatees look friendly. I like that they seem to enjoy being petted.

I would never ride one but I've always wanted to pet those adorable sea cows.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

On a shallow note, Allison Brie is breathtaking

Yes, yes she is. And in the various interviews and guest spots I've seen throughout the years she seems like a lot of fun.

I don't want to hear anyone complain about traffic in New York or LA or anywhere. Driving in Russia is real.

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

On a shallow note, Allison Brie is breathtaking.

I don't think I've ever lamented the way the Daily Show desk covers up so much of the guest, as much as I did last night.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

It's nice to have TDS doing fun silly segments like the Russian dash cams and manatee riding. I love Jon & Co to death, but lamenting day in and out about politics takes a toll.

This is what occupies my mind over breakfast. That, and the nagging idea that I really could use a hatchet in my glovebox.

I thought maybe they'd get out some footage of Kai, the hatchet wielding hitchhiker from California, that helped save the highway worker a couple weeks ago. Is driving around with a hatchet a thing now?

Also, although gross, the bucket of fried horsemeat, complete with head, was pretty darn funny.

More gross than funny when you watch it while eating breakfast.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

Are people still playing the ukulele? I thought that that was just an internet meme thing from three years ago or something.

I gotta think that a spill like that onto asphalt is gonna cause at least some bruising. So: what happens to bruised beef? Can it be marketed for consumption? On the other hand, maybe they're dairy cows, and just need a day or two for the milk to un-sour.

Maybe that is why they had to add horse, to make up for the bruised cow meat. You will notice that that horse in the footage was perfectly fine.

I remember watching that footage of the vehicles that drove into the gas station and almost killed a guy a few months ago. It was amazing.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

Memo to me: Never ever visit anyplace that used to be the Soviet Union. I saw that video of the cows getting tipped out of the truck a few weeks ago. And the first thing that came to my mind was The Fugitive - TV series or movie, whatever.

The Tea Party has enough trouble being taken seriously today. That idiot TBer suggesting Americans have the right to ride a manatee whenever they feel like should put them back in the looney bin where they belong.

YES to Rachel Maddow returning to the show next week.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

The one that made me howl was when a car randomly slid into and out of frame across the road.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

TANK!!! And, At least God isn't throwing rocks at us made me bust out laughing all alone in my LR. Man do I love this show.

UnderCover

UnderCover

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 6:41 PM

Re the cow tipped truck: I'm going to presume that cows are physically tougher than humans, but I gotta think that a spill like that onto asphalt is gonna cause at least some bruising.

That made me so sad for the cows. Am I nutty?

I loved, loved, loved the manatee piece. I enjoy when the subjects of field pieces are comfortable being in a funny segment in which they may end up looking silly, but what the heck? (As in: John Oliver with the guy from the gathering of Islamic leaders.)

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

I haven't laughed that hard at The Daily Show in months.

I'd seen dash cam footage before, but I was crying with laughter. "Live-action Grand Theft Auto," ha! I just about lost it at the Benny Hill theme dash cam montage.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

OMG that was that one of the funniest segments I've ever seen. The horse meat one was pretty good too because I loved the joke about the guy, “This guy looks like he’s about to roofie himself. ‘What can I do? Did you see what I was wearing? I was asking for it.'”.

I agree, UnderCover, I felt sorry for those cows, but I do also admit to laughing along with Jon. But I think it was because they really did get up like it was no big deal, even though I'm sure it did hurt them, they did seem rather "oh okay" about it.

But yeah the second half of the first segment was gut busting funny. I love seeing Jon genuinely lose it so even if the content wasn't inherently funny, thought it WAS, just watching him laugh is all it sometimes takes for me. The way he said TANK was hilarious!

I loved, loved, loved the manatee piece.

That was awesome and I loved Al's take on it. Including his reaction to the idea that the monkey doesn't want to ride the dog.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

Loved that Russians are so blase about disasters that "Armageddon" was released as “Oil Driller Gets Very Good Job.”

Jon just had great reaction after great reaction. I loved him imitating the woman who tore off bumper: "I want bumper! RrrrRRRRR!!"

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Wow, Jon is seriously bitter towards McCain. I guess he's one that Jon really believed in and then he sold his soul to try and become president.