The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51623 replies to this topic

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 6:32 PM

Dogs get PTSD from military service just like people do; but people don't get euthanized for it.

Awww, I didn't realize that. That's so sad.

RIP, Gunther. We hardly knew you.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 8:06 PM

Dogs get PTSD from military service just like people do; but people don't get euthanized for it.

Awww, I didn't realize that. That's so sad.

There's an unbelievably touching episode of "The Dog Whisperer" where Cesar Millan rehabilitates an impossibly adorable yellow lab named Gavin who suffers from PTSD. Gavin was in the ATF, not the military, but he ended up serving in Afghanistan, and when he came home he was paralyzed by fear in thunderstorms and during fireworks displays. But Cesar really helped him. Heartwarming times a billion.

And of course plenty of human vets with PTSD end up self-euthanizing.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:34 PM

Finally watched last night's episode and I actually think its gun control segment was even better than the one from last week. It got to a point that everything being said by Jon was so amazing and investigative. While it wasn't as "funny" I thought it was even better in making the connections between the terrible hypocrisy of the NRA.

Of course it was hilarious, too. "And why does he get to veto bills and command an army?"

I died laughing at the joke about the NRA being an avant garde Joachim Phoenix style joke.

"Not just a traditional southern wedding gift." LMAO!!!

"So there's no director of the ATF. So, it's like a Montessori school where agents are encouraged to be curious and regulate weapons at their own pace."

And I will forever and always love the Christie Godfather voice.
"Oh, you never heard of New Delaware. Yeah, that's right."

I can't even tell you how awesome it was to have a lady character with no kids or romantic interests (onscreen or onscreen references to) just doing her job, like guys in movies always get to do, but I still feel she's, well, unvivid. Maybe she'll grow on me. Or get better. Or both.

OMG Yes yes YES! I really liked that about her character, too.

Edited by happybumblebee1, Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:37 PM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 1:51 AM

Jon explaining that tyrants don't work their asses of to try and win Ohio? Perfect. Jon explaining that the French and other nations couldn't stop the Nazis, so how could the Jews? Perfect. "First, they came for the guns, and I said nothing because... they really didn't". Perfect. Spot on as usual. I just loved the takedown Jon gave those Fox News douches for their attempts to incite fear in the populace over Obama's gun control proposals. Especially Fuckface Hannity, whose own interpretation of tyranny is governments he didn't vote for that got elected. Go take a bath with a plugged in toaster, Hannity you asshole!

I was hopeful Stephen was going to talk about the White House turning down a request to build a Death Star. But thank God Jon picked it up and ran with it. And he at least highlighted the two big points as to why they won't build it. Of course if Jon tries to get Stephen to go along with creating a petition, he might want to retry the Death Star.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

Jon explaining that tyrants don't work their asses of to try and win Ohio? Perfect. Jon explaining that the French and other nations couldn't stop the Nazis, so how could the Jews? Perfect

Not to mention the Faux News people bringing up MLK (yeah, how did he die again?) and how if slaves had guns they wouldn't have been slaves. How can anyone take these people seriously? They are just so delusional its amazing.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

Not to mention the Faux News people bringing up MLK (yeah, how did he die again?)

I'm so glad Jon said something about that, because I was yelling, "You know how he died, right?" at the TV. Good lord.

The Lena Dunham interview was surprisingly entertaining, but man, does she need to wear clothes that fit. That dress (or whatever it was) was cute but two sizes too small.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

Gotta admit I ffw Lena Dunham's interview as soon as they started with "ooh, the internet hates you because you're young and successful". Yeah, sorry, Jon, but no.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

"Russia couldn't stop the Nazis...until you factored in the wind chill" may have been my favorite joke of the week. I can't not love combining weather nerdery with WW2 nerdery.

I also enjoyed Jon's enjoyment of the hypothetical discomfort of Brian Williams.

I've only ever seen Zosia Mamet's name in print, and I'd never have guessed it was pronounced 'Zasha.' Learning from the Daiy Show, yet again!

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Not to mention the Faux News people bringing up MLK (yeah, how did he die again?) and how if slaves had guns they wouldn't have been slaves. How can anyone take these people seriously? They are just so delusional its amazing.

Also, Reagan had armed body guards. That didn't stop someone from taking a shot at him. Just ask Jim Brady.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:30 AM

There's an unbelievably touching episode of "The Dog Whisperer" where Cesar Millan rehabilitates an impossibly adorable yellow lab named Gavin who suffers from PTSD. Gavin was in the ATF, not the military, but he ended up serving in Afghanistan, and when he came home he was paralyzed by fear in thunderstorms and during fireworks displays. But Cesar really helped him. Heartwarming times a billion.

Yeah, that one was an opportunity for me to blubber in a good way and then to revisit the blubbering every time I thought of it for close to a year afterward. I'm not a fan of using dogs in war zones for the reasons mentioned, then half of what made that story about Gavin so distressing was that his owner didn't really have a way to relate to him as a pet. She had related to him as a working partner, not a pet, so whereas she cared it had to be suggested to her that she find recreational things to do with the dog like teach him how to swim in the pool too. That's just the other side of the "animals get PTSD" of it all also, they aren't given opportunities to relax, kick back, chase a stick. They are on duty all of the time, so there's no respite.

And back to the show!

Not to mention the Faux News people bringing up MLK (yeah, how did he die again?)

Yeah, I can't even imagine the context in which that was being said, because a bigger WTF reaction I haven't had in ages on so many levels. Not just the "Yeah, how did he die again?" of it all, but also, "Uh...so have you ever even heard the term passive-resistance and how that applies to something known as...non-violence?"

and how if slaves had guns they wouldn't have been slaves.

The best part about that clip was there was a moment in which the guy (faux) hesitated as if to imply "I certainly wouldn't wish to say anything insensitive about slavery, so I'm using my inside, reverent voice...which actually makes this moment even more WTF when you think about it".

I enjoyed the piece by Jon, but man I need to stop watching these in the morning, or else I need to start drinking in the morning or possibly ingesting hope cakes or something, because the fact that Fox is out there and apparently getting someone, somewhere to listen to this shit...and those people are umpty-billion times more likely to own a lot of guns...yeah. I need to start ingesting more antioxidants with my yoga and possibly bourbon, because good lord. I know it's a minority of gun owners, but what a scary assed minority they are speaking to over at Fox.

"Are you reactionary? Paranoid? Primarily ignorant and subscribing to wacky-ass conspiracy theories as it is? We'd like to make sure you can still buy semi-automatic weapons!" Spiffy. Also their UPS drivers best not ring the doorbells, what with the brown shirts and all. Toss the mail-order tanks at the door and run for your life, UPS person.

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:32 AM.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

The best part about that clip was there was a moment in which the guy (faux) hesitated as if to imply "I certainly wouldn't wish to say anything insensitive about slavery, so I'm using my inside, reverent voice...which actually makes this moment even more WTF when you think about it".

That and that the person he was talking to, a black woman on the other screen, I so wanted to hear/see her reaction to that. She did look like she was trying very hard not to react. I can imagine Jessica Williams with this incredulous look on her face going, "excuse me, WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!!"

Xantar

Xantar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

I just wanted to pop in and say that if any of you are considering getting the new Daily Show app for iPad, skip it. The app will only play the first segment or so and also extended versions of interviews. Meanwhile there are links everywhere encouraging you to buy the episodes on iTunes. I don't know if Comedy Central just has their heads up their own asses or what, but that horse left the barn years ago.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

I died laughing at the joke about the NRA being an avant garde Joachim Phoenix style joke.

As did I, but it's scary how accurate that is.

texasgirl

texasgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

I'm hoping one of you long-time Daily Show watchers can help me locate a specific segment from many years ago.

It was when Colbert was still on the Daily Show and he does a segment and afterward, he and Jon are chatting at the desk. They're talking about a baseball score and Jon says the _____ team lost and Colbert says "In your opinion." Jon says something like "No it's not an opinion, they actually lost - look at the score." And this goes on for a while as Colbert states that a baseball score is just an opinion.

I've tried searching on their website but if anyone can remember this and could help me figure out which episode this was in, I'd be enormously grateful!

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

Great bit by Larry Wilmore. I'm glad they focused more on that moronic gun appreciation day guy and his absolutely idiotic statement about MLK. Seriously NRA guys, this is why half the country (or more) hates you.

Nice interview with Judge Sonia.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 8:59 AM

Yes, I liked listening to Judge Sotomayor.

And Wilmore's piece was great. I loved seeing him crack up at Jon's ad-lib that "Fuck you, Arizona" is Nevada's state motto.

George Stepanopolis's misidentifying Bill Russell was incredible, but it led to that hilarious bit where Jon calls Malia and Sasha the Williams sisters, and so forth. I also loved the silliness of Jessica and Al donning b-b-b-bang wigs.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 9:37 AM

I loved seeing him crack up at Jon's ad-lib that "Fuck you, Arizona" is Nevada's state motto.

Ditto. Made me realize that I've never seen Larry break up before. He's pretty expert at maintaining his composure.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

I don't think I've seen Larry with such a wide smile. Not that he's humorless, just that on TDS, he's usually pretty poker-faced.

George Stepanopolis's misidentifying Bill Russell was incredible, but it led to that hilarious bit where Jon calls Malia and Sasha the Williams sisters, and so forth. I also loved the silliness of Jessica and Al donning b-b-b-bang wigs.

I loved that, too. Stephanopoulos is a moron.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

In that picture they showed with Stephanopoulos standing between two men towering over him - was that for real? Is he actually that short or was that an exaggeration?

I didn't get much out of the Sotomayer interview. She really didn't have anything substantial to say IMO. I don't know if she can talk about particular cases - certainly not pending ones anyway, but I would have appreciated Jon getting something out of her about the partisan divide on the court. I think she could comment on that without calling anyone out or making judgement calls.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

texasgirl, I can't find that clip either. Their website does have a tagging system, although how robust it is is anyone's guess. I searched using the 'baseball' tag and couldn't find it. But I wonder if it was a part of a larger segment and so was not give that tag.

Here's hoping someone else can find it for you!

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Gotta say, I'm not liking the FLOTUS's new b-b-b-bangs. But they look hysterically good on Al.

And I too loved every bit of Larry's piece on MLK, especially how people use him and his legacy to try and make their points. You know who else was used by people to make their points? HITLER! Great jab at the gun lobbyist and the Republican congressman, with a side of "Fuck You, Arizona" thrown in.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

"Fuck you, Arizona" shouldn't be Nevada's state motto. It should be everyone's motto.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

I didn't get much out of the Sotomayer interview.

I kind of liked it at first, but I eventually started zoning out and I started waiting for her to say "you'll laugh, you'll cry".

And I too loved every bit of Larry's piece on MLK, especially how people use him and his legacy to try and make their points.

Poor El-Hajj Malik "Malcolm X" El-Shabazz. No one makes bizarre assumptions about his theoretical opinions on anything. At least not anymore.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 7:06 PM

I took a look around the internet too, texasgirl and I'm not finding it either, sorry!

I don't think I've seen Larry with such a wide smile. Not that he's humorless, just that on TDS, he's usually pretty poker-faced.

That was a fantastic moment and until it happened, I guess I never fully processed that Larry smiles so little on TDS because of the kind of bits he does.

So that was the context of the MLK comment? Okay, I had somehow missed that earlier, probably because my brain was fried by the "If African-Americans had been allowed to own guns from day one..." comment about slavery. That clip just keeps getting worse or else my brain is forcing me to comprehend it slowly, so as not to go into system overload of being appalled.

I didn't get much out of the Sotomayer interview.

I didn't either. I enjoyed listening to her speak and that Jon was clearly very mindful of not interrupting her (thank you for that, Jon) because she does speak in very measured tones, but I was actually a little surprised that there wasn't more to it. I really admire and like her, I'm sure her book is actually very interesting but she isn't the most dynamic interview. That said, she does give off a very judicial air, so that was kind of fun.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 7:13 PM

In that picture they showed with Stephanopoulos standing between two men towering over him - was that for real? Is he actually that short or was that an exaggeration?

I'm pretty sure he is that short. Which isn't unusual for Greek men.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 7:41 PM

The first parts of last Thursday's show were so good I was wallowing in the pure awesome that they were. Kudos to Jon and the show.

Lots of great things to love about last night's show.

"Doesn't it look like Biden just wants to high-five her?"
"I'll uphold the shit out of that constitution."

Jessica is so flipping adorable but I really howled when Al sported the b-b-bangs and goes, "So now I'm fat!"

I'm glad they focused more on that moronic gun appreciation day guy and his absolutely idiotic statement about MLK. Seriously NRA guys, this is why half the country (or more) hates you.

Definitely, but I still wish more people would also mention that MLK Jr preached non-violence. That's the whole point they're missing to me. It's incredible to me when they say 'If only he and the civil right's movement had guns.' Dude, that's completely antithesis to his entire philosophy. A philosophy which by the way that accomplished more goals toward equality for African Americans than any of the groups that strove for the same but used more dangerous means. As Dr. King said, "It disturbs their conscience", meaning that white Americans were faced with seeing images of people having fire-hoses turned on them, and arrested for just sitting at a diner. If King pulled out a gun to help retain his seat at the counter less people would have been sympathetic to his plight, right or wrong.

ETA: At, that elusive spelling and grammar team.

Edited by happybumblebee1, Jan 23, 2013 @ 12:30 AM.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Can someone please explain "b-b-b-bangs" to me? I Googled it and the top references in my search results were all to "The Daily Show." Is it from a song or something? I've got a case of the bubons, as Jon might say, so I may just be a little out of it.

And here are next week's guests:
1/28: Bob Costas (Broadcaster with NBC Sports and Major League Baseball Network)
1/29: Melissa McCarthy (actress – promoting movie “Identity Thief”)
1/30: Al Gore (Former Vice President & author – promoting book “The Future: Six Drivers of Global Change”)
1/31: Jason Bateman (actor – promoting movie “Identity Thief”)

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

I've got a case of the bubons, as Jon might say, so I may just be a little out of it.

Don't you mean the b-b-b-bubons?

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

I'm sorry Jennifer Lopez is the guest tonight? Gah. Changed the channel. Can not with her, ever. Hope the other parts of the show were good though.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

"Less people"? Really? TDS should be better than that!