The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51621 replies to this topic

Hooper

Hooper

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

Was it just me, or was the Shieffer interview really pointed (in an incredibly understated way)?

No Attica, it wasn't just you. I've liked Shieffer in other interviews and was looking forward to this one. I'll see your enjoying the scenery analogy, and raise you one kid with his hand in the cookie jar analogy: "Yes, stealing cookies is bad. I sure wish people wouldn't do that." I'm guessing the real answer is "rantings = ratings" and Shieffer didn't want to spell that out for the world and his corporate overlords to hear, but his good guy index plummeted for me.

ETA: I don't know as I would say that Jon used to blindingly worship Lance Armstrong, even if Jon really did believe Armstrong was innocent. And really I'm just not interested in these drug doping/sports star scandals, so for the most part I was pretty bored by the Armstrong segment last night. But the one LOL moment of the entire show for me was when Jon made the self-deprecating joke about how based on his skilled interviewing, we should guess that Armstrong was probably boinking Petreaus. Way to neatly tie together two recent high profile instances of Jon apparently having been bamboozled by an interviewee.

Edited by Hooper, Jan 16, 2013 @ 4:15 PM.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

The difference is that the coin would not cause any damage to the economy

But personally I think it sets a dangerous precedent, one that potentially could do harm in the long run. If Obama uses it now to wipe the current debt, who's to say when the republican's take office again they won't do the same to pay for expensive wars, tax cuts for the wealthy, and so on. And they wouldn't care if it was in an inflationary economic time or not.

I wonder if Jon was coming to it from a similar perspective. Knee-jerk sure but deep down finding the idea rather unsettling but I agree he didn't go into specifics about why he might think it's not a current solution or a good long-term solution.

But then again the articles that criticize Jon, like that last one, don't do a good job (IMHO) about saying what's so dazzlingly brilliant about the coin idea that Jon just doesn't get. I really haven't read anywhere, including Krugman, that dissects all the angles of this thing, from present to future ramifications.

It's true I think Jon did a poor job of taking the idea to task other than blanket superficial silliness. I would like to see him really get the heart of the problem. And I feel like if this issue does come to a head he will.

To my mind, Jon needs to point out that this supposed game the republicans are forcing the democrats into really should be played completely differently. Jon and the show have done a nice job at times showcasing how again and again democrats cannot competitively show the truth behind what the republicans are doing to hurt America. I would like to see him discuss the fact that instead of Congress being a non-stop "OMG- you're going to destroy American" argument played in response to the machinations of the Conservative threat (hell pay for some TV ads if you must), Joe and Jane Blow are only getting the message that 1) the President has racking up the debt. 2) He wants to pay for it with fake money. No where are the republicans to blame.

If anything Jon has a lot more power in highlighting these kind of discrepancies than he does just outright criticizing something and I hope he can do so again.

As for last night's show, loved poor Jon's reaction ("Hello" "Nailed it!") to once again being foiled by the duplicity of lying liars who lie. He should take solace in the knowledge that in no way does freak-faced, tiny-balls Armstrong look better than him.

"100-150 grams of douchatrine" BWAHAHAHA! I absolutely must use that phrase before my life is over.

I like Jon's "I have little children" after making the totally random Little Mermaid reference.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

I, too, thought Jon really handled Bob Schieffer with kid gloves. He threw softball questions at him, trying to engage him in the whys of what we're hearing about and who we're not hearing from on the gun issue and Schieffer just kept dodging it, even going so far at times as to defend it. I can appreciate that Jon has a healthy respect for Schieffer and doesn't want to really come down on him and nail him to the wall, but the interview was utterly disappointing.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 4:51 PM

But personally I think it sets a dangerous precedent, one that potentially could do harm in the long run. If Obama uses it now to wipe the current debt, who's to say when the republican's take office again they won't do the same to pay for expensive wars, tax cuts for the wealthy, and so on. And they wouldn't care if it was in an inflationary economic time or not.

Obama will not do this. As you said in your post, it is the whole dysfunction of Congress showing, once again. The debt ceiling is something created by the repub. but the coin is a loophole. It could be done, without any big bad consequences. It is an attempt (probably useless, since the right seems to lack intelligent thoughts lately) to bring reason to the debate. There are very good comments on the latest article about how they believe Jon messed up. It goes back to the false equivalence only that this time it didn't work.

I do agree that it should not be done, though.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

Next week's guests. Jennifer Lopez?! Ooo-kay then. Hopefully it will go better than Hugh Grant, but I'm not holding my breath.
On the other hand, Sonia Sotomayor, Missy Cummings & Christopher Walken -- awesome. Three out of four ain't bad.

1/21: Justice Sonia Sotomayor (Supreme Court Justice & author – promoting book “My Beloved World”)
1/22: Jennifer Lopez (actress – promoting movie “Parker”)
1/23: Missy Cummings (Associate Professor, MIT Aeronautics and Astronautics – promoting NOVA program "Rise of the Drones”)
1/24: Christopher Walken (actor – promoting movie “Stand Up Guys”)

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

Maybe Sonia Sotomayor can shed some light on the Silence of the Clarence!

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

Finally, a week that's dominated by women—even if one of them is Jennifer Lopez, ugh.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

Considering that tonight's guest is Jessica Chastain and tomorrow's is Lena Dunham, that's actually 5 female guests in a row. Not sure if that's ever happened before.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

I do think the trillion dollar coin is kind of a silly idea, but it would make a great starting point for the next Ocean's 1X movie.

pyralis

pyralis

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

*sigh* "Dr. Asif Mandvi" just made me miss Jericho.

PoshGirl - I had the same reaction - "but he's already played one on tv". And since I've been over Sanjayed with CNN having flu-watch for the last week, I was snickering perhaps harder than it deserved.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

It seems to me, once again, the Dems are bringing sporks to a gunfight. "Oh, look, aren't we clever . . . but no, this isn't a real solution." Pfffft. Get tough or go home, guys.

Well I'm laughing and you know why, shamskygirl. I do love a good spork reference. *cheers* I also agree on more than one level. When I first read about the coin idea my reaction was that all it would mean was that the Dems were stooping to circumvent the process. Now, I think the GOP has behaved horribly and childishly, but I don't think the answer is to join them in their bullshit. Yes, threats of a partial government shutdown and attempts to essentially take hostage the world economy to win their way are disgusting. Trying to hamstring anything resembling compromise, or to avoid the discussion is not supposed to be the workings of democracy.

Basically if a Republican leadership pulled something like that, I would have a foaming fit and fall in it. I would invent new nasty names to call them. I'd be livid and feel justified in being so. Aside from the fact that I vote Democrat (even though I'm a registered Independent) I really don't think a valid answer to the problems that are being experienced is "Fuck it! Let's all start stooping and slithering around the issues."

Essentially I still don't feel that Jon is the one being irresponsible in this.

I like Jon's "I have little children" after making the totally random Little Mermaid reference.

And knowing the correct inflection on "Hew-mon" to prove "I've seen this movie a freaking lot" , happybumblebee.

I enjoyed Jon's piece on Armstrong. As someone who took a really long time to realize, "Ah shit, he actually did it." I was glad to see I kept some company I admire. Armstrong, you made me feel like an idiot for believing in you, dude. Thanks for the hefty serving of disillusionment.

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:13 PM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

If Obama uses it now to wipe the current debt, who's to say when the republican's take office again they won't do the same to pay for expensive wars, tax cuts for the wealthy, and so on. And they wouldn't care if it was in an inflationary economic time or not.

I agree with much of what you wrote happybumblebee1 but this basic premise is wrong and it is why Jon's first ramble was criticized and why his childish retort last night just made him look petulant. This magical platinum coin was never proposed "to wipe the current debt", it simply could have been a vehicle to pay the bills that are coming due on the current debt that's already been incurred by congress. That's also what raising the debt ceiling does, gives the president legal authority to write cheques to cover the payments due. It doesn't wipe out any debt. As one of the commenters on the article in NYMag that alexvillage linked to said "Republicans shouldn't be able to vote to run up debt and then refuse to pay for it without being called out as being intellectually dishonest, and trying to score [political] points at the expense of our financial future."

Jon got his FACTS wrong and got called out on it. It's why so many people are/were disappointed in how Jon handled the issue in the first place because, rightly or wrongly, Jon is relied upon to disseminate factual information while taking the piss out of those in authority. His refusal to inform his audience about the coin concept fairly, even after being called out on it, was lazy and Jon is usually so much better than that. Lord knows there is much comedic fodder in the radical right trying to hold the president and the country hostage that Jon could have made fun of. Maybe his brother will set him straight.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

A perfectly crafted takedown of the NRA (or BLAMBLA) by Jon on how they and their lackeys in Congress bend and massage the gun laws in America, and then say they don't need new gun laws and fight like hell to keep them out. They really are disdainful assholes (as well as batshit crazy).

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

A perfectly crafted takedown of the NRA (or BLAMBLA) by Jon on how they and their lackeys in Congress bend and massage the gun laws in America, and then say they don't need new gun laws and fight like hell to keep them out. They really are disdainful assholes (as well as batshit crazy).

Indeed, but it was Jon's reaction to the pneumatic tube/carrier pigeon that kept cracking me up (speaking of Gunther, where did they get those particular pieces of taxidermy? Jon looked like he wanted some sanitary wipes after handling them).

Nice interview with Jessica Chastain. She's pretty brill. The only point I wish was caught was that she also stars in the new horror flick Mama, looking totally unlike herself. (And CC broadcast two movie promos prior to her appearance, one for Zero Dark Thirty followed by Mama.)

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

This magical platinum coin was never proposed "to wipe the current debt", it simply could have been a vehicle to pay the bills that are coming due on the current debt that's already been incurred by congress. That's also what raising the debt ceiling does, gives the president legal authority to write cheques to cover the payments due. It doesn't wipe out any debt.

Man, there really needs to be an online class on this or something. And how awesome would it be if Jon gave an impromptu class on the show. He and his writers are really great about explaining things. Well, certain things. Seriously, they should devote a whole segment to the issue. So, now I'm still confused as what you're saying seems to be what I originally thought the coin would do, which is simply postponing paying the debt, just like what raising the debt ceiling does. It allows us to borrow money in the interim but it doesn't pay off a single real penny. Is that right?

If so, why didn't they just fight for another raise of the debt ceiling, and expose the threats made by the republicans. Maybe that's where Jon should come in. Breaking down the debt issue and giving it exposure. I still don't blame him totally for getting in a few digs at the coin though. I'm sorry but it's just seems like such a distraction. The republican threat to lock down the vault so to speak and do more damage to the country than the fiscal cliff ever could is what the democrats should be talking about, but instead they're forced to defend why the coin isn't as stupid or silly as it sounds.

I think what all of this reiterates, to my mind, is that democrats need to work on explaining this situation to the American people. I know Jon makes fun of the conservative talking points but honestly it seems to work and I think when it comes to disseminating information to the American people there's not faster, more efficient way (sadly). They need to have mass talking points about how the republicans got us into this mes for having enormous tax cuts on the rich for years; corporation tax cuts; tax loopholes for the rich; ridiculously pricey wars; so on. Every hour, every day, if I turn on any sort of news program with a talking democrat I should be hearing this.

TDS has had some great quotes, all of which I can't exactly now remember of course, about how the democrats continually let the republicans steamroll them on things like this. They play their talking point game and the democrats scramble to catch up and wonder why they come off as the bad/stupid guys. The debt is going to have to be paid off eventually. Might as well tackle that and reiterate the fact the republicans are mostly to blame. Sing it loud now rather than later.

It really is a huge issue and I'd like to see TDS tackle it in a serious manner.

Edited by happybumblebee1, Jan 17, 2013 @ 9:53 AM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

I haven't seen Chastain in much; I'm having a hard time thinking of her as a vivid screen presence. I super-liked ZDT, and I can't even tell you how awesome it was to have a lady character with no kids or romantic interests (onscreen or onscreen references to) just doing her job, like guys in movies always get to do, but I still feel she's, well, unvivid. Maybe she'll grow on me. Or get better. Or both.

She seemed sparkly enough in her interview here, though. Am I being too hard? ...And now I'm overthinking. ::sigh::

I sorta feel that it's impossible for pneumatic tubes to carry bad news. It's such a fun technology. Messenger pigeons, on the other hand: nothing but bad news.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:37 AM

Am I being too hard?

You always must needs be what you are. Though I would see Take Shelter.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

I haven't seen Chastain in much; I'm having a hard time thinking of her as a vivid screen presence. I super-liked ZDT, and I can't even tell you how awesome it was to have a lady character with no kids or romantic interests (onscreen or onscreen references to) just doing her job, like guys in movies always get to do, but I still feel she's, well, unvivid. Maybe she'll grow on me. Or get better. Or both.

She seemed sparkly enough in her interview here, though. Am I being too hard? ...And now I'm overthinking. ::sigh::

ZDT and The Help are the only two movies I'd seen her in, she's great in The Help as well. She was on Letterman last week and was delightful.

ITA with you re her character in ZDT, it was nice to just have Maya portrayed as someone doing her job, not having to have a boyfriend who was frustrated with her commitment to work, blah blah.

I liked that she told Jon that Bigelow & Boal didn't ask for Pentagon cooperation for ZDT, thus being able to do the movie they wanted to do. I wonder if that is adding to all this blowback from the Senate and the pundits on the torture scenes. I do not get all this negativity. The torture scenes are bad, yes, but they are realistic, and are about sixty seconds of a 2 1/2 hour movie. By the time the Seals took off for Abbotobad, I'd forgotten about it. There is SO much more to this story than torture. It takes your full concentration to keep track of all the people they're trying to track down.

Though I would see Take Shelter.

I saw that the other night on cable. She was good in it, but WTF. I had to FF thru some of it I was terrified he was going to do something to the dog.

Edited by teddysmom, Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:57 AM.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

I had to FF thru some of it I was terrified he was going to do something to the dog.

Yeah, it's an odd movie, and Michael Shannon is one scary actor. But the dog lived on. I still remember how remarkable Shannon was in Bug with Ashley Judd, but the little known thing about him is that his first role was as Fred Kleiser in Groundhog Day. (Remember the kids Bill Murray sent to Wrestlemania?)

Anyway, he was just on Broadway with Paul Rudd and Ed Asner in Grace. Talk about an intriguing casting combo. [/ot]

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

So, now I'm still confused as what you're saying seems to be what I originally thought the coin would do, which is simply postponing paying the debt, just like what raising the debt ceiling does. It allows us to borrow money in the interim but it doesn't pay off a single real penny. Is that right?

Congress tells the President how much money he can spend. Then he does. Then he needs to pay the bills. This congress is saying that they will not pay the bill. They create the debt crisis. It is a fake crisis because they said the President could spend that money. The coin would be the way to tell congress to shove it, this is ridiculous, you said we could spend the money and now you don't want to authorize me to pay the bill. The Government would use the coin value to pay those bills.

It is posturing. Spending varies and somethings are unpredictable. Then the government spends more money. But congress authorizes it. The House is now saying we must not spend more. But we already have.

I am not very good explaining things. And yes, the writers could have done a better job to expose this hostage taking situation. The coin sounds a silly solution and it will not happen, but the reason for the conversation is a serious one that can get the country into financial trouble, again. That's the criticism about TDS coverage

sunshineinva

sunshineinva

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

I do not get all this negativity. The torture scenes are bad, yes, but they are realistic, and are about sixty seconds of a 2 1/2 hour movie. By the time the Seals took off for Abbotobad, I'd forgotten about it. There is SO much more to this story than torture. It takes your full concentration to keep track of all the people they're trying to track down.

Perhaps Taibbi can help: The terrorist won

Edited by sunshineinva, Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:56 AM.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

Yeah, it's an odd movie, and Michael Shannon is one scary actor. But the dog lived on. I still remember how remarkable Shannon was in Bug with Ashley Judd, but the little known thing about him is that his first role was as Fred Kleiser in Groundhog Day. (Remember the kids Bill Murray sent to Wrestlemania?)

I'll have to check that out online. He is terrifying.

Back to Jon's interview with Jessica, I was surprised that even Jon was "shocked" about the torture scenes in ZDT. Was everyone asleep from 2003 to 2008? What were people expecting from this movie? Even Panetta admitted that we got some information from EIT that was helpful in finding the courier, not directly, but helping to connect the dots.

Oh well, this too shall pass.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

I enjoyed Jon exposing the NRA's false argument that government (aka ATF) should just enforce the gun laws already on the books, by establishing that the NRA has used its bought and paid for lackey Congressmen to sneak in riders on unrelated bills that prevent the ATF from being able to enforce the gun laws.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

I enjoyed Jon exposing the NRA's false argument that government (aka ATF) should just enforce the gun laws already on the books, by establishing that the NRA has used its bought and paid for lackey Congressmen to sneak in riders on unrelated bills that prevent the ATF from being able to enforce the gun laws.

Me too, except it made me so angry I left the room thinking, could this country be more fucked up??!

Loved Jon putting words in the President's mouth "If you bring up my daughters again, I will drone strike you to kingdom come (or something like that). "

Perhaps Taibbi can help: The terrorist won

I gave up on Taibbi years ago. His ego got the best of him. Nobody in the theater where I saw the film cheered, except when Maya said she was the "Mother Fucker that found this place". The people I saw looked exhausted and sad as they walked out.

Edited by teddysmom, Jan 17, 2013 @ 1:14 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

I got too many willies seeing clips from Take Shelter; I can't bring myself to see the whole thing. Maybe when I'm grown up. And I'll watch The Tree of Life only under Clockwork Orange-type torture. (The Malick hate strong with me it is.)

As to the torture in ZDT, my reaction was, well, in movies, torture always works. Always. It's visceral, it's visual, it's dramatic, it's tailor-made for the dramatic arts. Its inclusion here (as opposed to yet another shot of Jessica poring over piles of paper) therefore didn't surprise me. Bigelow broke one trope; I didn't expect her to break them all. I did think she did a good job of depicting brutality (and its banality) as well as the how darkly the glass gets in all that murky water. So I don't fully agree with Taibbi, but I get his point. I was indeed disappointed at how little screen time the SEAL-team dog got.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

And I'll watch The Tree of Life only under Clockwork Orange-type torture.

Oh well. I was going to recommend The Tree of Life. I thought it was a beautiful film, and Chastain was amazing. The family scenes were mesmerizing.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 3:34 PM

I was indeed disappointed at how little screen time the SEAL-team dog got

Yeah I was all about that dog. What a beauty. I kept thinking they'd show him when the crowds started gathering.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

Jon needs to have a military-dog trainer/handler on the show. NOW.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

Jon needs to have a military-dog trainer/handler on the show. NOW.

I almost mentioned on my last post that I was surprised Letterman hadn't tried to get one of the handlers and the dogs on his shows. He's such a dog lover. Would it be too much trouble to get Cairo, the actual dog used in the raid, on a talk show so he can get the props and love he deserves, since we can't meet the human members of the team. It's not like he would divulge any secrets.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

I've mentioned this before, but as an animal shelter volunteer I'm not a fan of military-dog training. Dogs get PTSD from military service just like people do; but people don't get euthanized for it.

So, no thanks, Jon—no endorsements, please.