The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51621 replies to this topic

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

I totally believe that some gun owners want more regulation with regards to automatic guns or whatever those things are. But the media might mention this once and never goes deep into it, like what they are supposed to do. As usual, they keep showing the douches from the NRA who make money every time they say BS because that's the drama of the media.

I also know of some very conservative people who are for more regulation on guns but they hate the "liberals" so much, they refuse to say so in public.

I don't watch TV news, I wonder if anyone asked them if all the "lunatics" live in the US, playing violent video games. Are other countries completely free from the mentally ill, the scapegoats du jour?

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

I LOVE the way these guys argue that if the gun was gotten legally it proves regulation doesn't work and if the gun was gotten illegally it proves regulation doesn't work.

"Murder is illegal and people still do it." Really? So was that guy advocating for making murder legal?

These are the same people who think a black kid with Skittles is a threat, but a white guy with an assault rifle and high capacity magazine is just exercising his second amendment rights.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

but the people I know who have guns are willing to have some regulations, like waiting periods, licensing, and background checks. So it's not ALL gun owners who scoff at regulation.

I liked that Jon made sure to amend his statement to some gunowners. Polls show that the vast majority of gunowners want more background checks and most believe in banning assault weaponn and extra long magazines but unfortunately like with most issues the GOP politicians ignore them and cater to the extremists.

As far as Jon's rant about politicians who voted against aid for the victims of Superstorm Sandy, as he was making it (and he made alot of great points) I couldn't help but think part of the problem is the false equivalences Jon loves to make. The fact is not all politicians are the same and if we don't know who the bad ones are and thusvote them out of office we end up with people in power making dumb decisions and not helping Americans.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

Murder is illegal and people still do it." Really? So was that guy advocating for making murder legal?

And we put people in jail a long time, and sometimes execute them for murder too. So can we have harsher, longer, punishments for violations of gun laws?

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

I'm still basking in the glow of TDS and TCR (and shamskygirl!) finally being back and can't think of a cogent remark. Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 4:40 PM

"Yes, as the saying goes, 'If at first you don't succeed, fuck it.'"

I really enjoyed Jon just looking into the camera and railing at length on two of the biggest clusterfucks that happened in the show's absence. That was a long three weeks. However, this was a major low point for me:

But Obama's original position, which he campaigned on relentlessly, was $250,000, not $400 or 450,000. He actually gave away a HUGE amount of revenue, and that's all going to come around to cuts in services, unless it gets reversed.

Exactly. It took Republicans about 30 seconds to start crowing about how, in making the Bush tax cuts permanent, President Obama bargained away the only significant leverage he would have had in future negotiations, that taxes are off the table and the topic from here on out is spending cuts. In two months, Social Security, Medicare and a host of other programs will be right back on the chopping block, and the best option for raising the revenue needed to save them from cuts was given away. I was always of the opinion that no deal at all would have been better than a bad deal, and I think this was a bad deal. So I was particularly disappointed to see, in the midst of a great piece, it presented as though Obama did not compromise on taxes.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Between the hurricane and the school shooting, what a terrible year for the name "Sandy." I was half-expecting Jon to put up a graphic of the "Grease" movie poster with Satan eyes on Olivia Newton-John, something like that. And maybe girls named Katrina turning on girls named Sandy, with great relief...

"You can have all the muskets you want!" Seems like there's a direct correlation between strict constructionists of the U.S. Constitution and of the Bible. What's more important -- defending the letter of something written long before modern science and technology, or the spirit of it? But Colbert does better with the religious topics...

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

On the other hand, I'm not sure what possessed that flaming rat tail Piers Morgan to invite Alex Jones on his program, and then just sit there like a bemused veal and let the lunatic spew his paranoia unchallenged. Conspiracy theorists everywhere were cheering; it was a great piece of "theater." I'm glad TDS showed a clip of him at his eye-popping, blood-vessel bursting worst.

Sweet Jesus that was bad. When he got done ranting, I said "well, I don't want to take away everyone's guns, but I'd like to take his away." That much anger probably shouldn't be combined with guns. I'm a little surprised he didn't stroke out right there on camera. Dial it down, crazypants.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

Before this show, I hadn't watched the Jones interview, only read snippets of it. I honestly didn't expect him to be no-holds-barred crazy.

I know, right? I'd read a couple of things, but for some reason I hadn't read them in the proper "and he was actually screaming, frothing at the mouth, his eyes pinwheels of 'I own shit loads of guns' crazy while saying this stuff." mental tone. Holy crap, yeah, nothing scary about that dude having a personal arsenal or anything. Meep.

I loved the show last night and I was freaking relieved to see it, because a lot of that stuff needs to be said. I'm sorry that it falls to a comedy program to make some exceptionally good, sane points about the necessity of gun control at this juncture. I've always been in favor of gun control and whereas all the gun owners I know are sane people, save one who probably shouldn't own something as dangerous as a potato peeler as far as I'm concerned, I really would LOVE to see stricter laws.

I don't own a gun, although I actually learned how to shoot one when I was younger, mainly so that I could say with absolute conviction that I really don't like guns, but better gun control seems like it would benefit everyone. Except of course for the chorus of crazy in Alex Jones' head, apparently.

Also, one relatively funny news piece about the entire claim that "if even one other person was armed that would have gone down differently!" is one I'd love to see TDS use. Apparently in the wake of the Aurora movie theater shootings some fool headed off to see a movie with a gun in tow, presumably to protect his person...and promptly shot himself when he was fidgeting around for a new position in the movie theater seat. The man didn't die, I'm not mocking someone's death (although mocking their injury probably isn't my best moment, I admit) and he didn't hurt anyone other than himself, but that can't be the only story of "Oh yeah? Here's what happens when Joe Citizen tries to pretend he's loaded up for the Wild Wild West reenactment the NRA seems to envision as the answer".

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 9, 2013 @ 6:19 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

Hope that's just a cold, Jon, and not the sinus infection I got. Sounds like it.

I just figured that the news over the past month had literally made Jon sick.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

The first two segments were made of perfection. I just wanted to swoop in there and huggle Jon and make him feel better, as well as thank him for delivering the perfect response to all the crazy that's out there. I don't know if anyone here checks out the comments section for places like msn and cnn. Well, I must be a secret masochist because I sometimes do, but even when I'm perusing huffingtonpost there are a surprisingly high percentage of comments that make me twitch.

I thought Jon did a good job seriously addressing the gun violence/control issue while infusing some humor in the show. He made some great points, the whole right to bear arms 'for a well-regulated militia', the real reason why the NRA and gun nuts refuse to discuss gun control, all the over-compensating for just about every other 'bad behavior' act, how much we regulate/address drunk driving so why can't we do the same for guns.

At first, he seemed rather passive in trying to find the starting points for the debate, only to seemingly get rebuffed each time by a talking head pundit/expert. But in the end, Jon righteously pointed out the real reason why the debate over gun control isn't going anywheres, and problably never will.

YES! It was brilliant. I have a thing for a well built persuasive argument and savvy rhetoric based on logic. Those segments were built with these elements. Jon allows mental illness and our violent culture to rear their heads and be seen, acknowledging their part in the situation, but then deftly shows how ridiculous it is to say only they can be discussed, only they are to blame, not actual gun control or the lack thereof.

Jon is so sane, and so deliciously handsome, even with a serious cold.

I think maybe he has some vague "love" of the 2nd Amendment but just uses it as an excuse to collect guns. I think there are many like him.

LOL! I can believe it!

Gun deaths in Australia have fallen off 40% since they were effected, so, you know: video games!

BWAH!

I LOVE the way these guys argue that if the gun was gotten legally it proves regulation doesn't work and if the gun was gotten illegally it proves regulation doesn't work.

"Murder is illegal and people still do it." Really? So was that guy advocating for making murder legal?

This is exactly the argument I see over and over and over. I need to remember your great response to that. :)

"Yes, as the saying goes, 'If at first you don't succeed, fuck it.'"

You quoted exactly the line I laughed my ass off over. You also bring up a great point about the tax increase and spending cuts. I remember when that deal was first presented and I was just depressed. Then I thought it would get worse but the repubs couldn't come to a decision so when it was pretty much finalized I guess I was just glad it wasn't worse.

Dial it down, crazypants.

Holy crap, yeah, nothing scary about that dude having a personal arsenal or anything. Meep.

LOL!

Sorry for the massive quotage but it was such a great show and I just love everyone on this board and I hated that we all left during the break.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

Yo Detroit. We Canadians say "you're welcome" to your free bridge. Now obviously most of them aren't as terminally stupid as the ones in Al's piece. But Jesus Fuck, just enough of them can do some serious damage (see Rick Snyder). Side note: you could tell the piece was shot in early November because the Canadian was wearing his Rememberance Day poppy.

I'd say Jeff Bridges was smoking a little weed before he came out.

XiuFetish

XiuFetish

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 5:36 AM

A little? In the absence of subtitles, I have absolutely no idea what they discussed. Kudos to Jon for maintaining his composure and sense of humour during the interview.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 8:37 AM

Very disappointed in the Bridges interview. I stopped listening after the first couple of minutes.

But I loved the Al Madrigal piece. First, I learned something new -- I didn't know an individual could own such an important bridge -- and second, that was hilarious. I LOVED when the Black Panther guy said, "In this town, I kick the ass, not kiss the ass. Kick the ass," and Al responded, "Which is precisely why I have a difficult time telling you how to run the Black Panther business…"

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

On the AIG story, Jon said that the AIG guy looked like somebody who would say "Release the hounds!" I personally thought he looked like a Guillermo Del Toro monster creation because good gosh that man was ugly. And it's not that he's older, that was a whole lotta ugly. That was always ugly.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

During the Bridges interview, two things happened: 1) I found myself moved to put batteries on my shopping list; 2) I was reminded of one of my favorite bad jokes ever: Q: What did the hot dog vendor say to the zen master? A: " I'll make you One With Everything!" Other than those two things, I think Jeff is not a good guy to pin down in four pithy minutes.

I think there was some kind of cosmic kinship going on, seeing as both TDS and TCR had guests concerned with global interconnectedness.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

Count me as incredulous that bank employees can counsel terrorists (you know, people who kill people) on how to avoid US detection of their money and then not get prosecuted for a crime because the bank "too big." How many employees are we talking about? Seriously, HBSC must employ thousands. You can't convince me that the criminal actions of a few employees, who could be prosecuted, would bring down the entire bank. Its no wonder that our 'rich and famous' believe they can do anything they want without fear of prosecution or otherwise being held accountable for their actions. Yes, if you're rich enough, you can get away with murder.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

Jon allows mental illness and our violent culture to rear their heads and be seen, acknowledging their part in the situation, but then deftly shows how ridiculous it is to say only they can be discussed, only they are to blame, not actual gun control or the lack thereof.

I think one of the best ways he did that was simply by repeatedly referring to the ancillary issues as the "non-gun causes of gun violence."

Last night's show didn't have the same kick for me - granted, the one-two punch of Monday's and Tuesday's episode is a tough act to follow - but I loved Al Madrigal's piece on the free bridge. I was staring at the TV, wondering if I really just heard the word "Chinaman," and then Al made me laugh by telling the idiot no one says that anymore. And his interaction with the Black Panther leader was hilarious.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

How many employees are we talking about? Seriously, HBSC must employ thousands.

As of December 2008, HSBC employs around 300000 employees in 9500 offices across 86 countries and territories around the world.

More than just a few thousand, but the government, with its handling of TBTF and not fixing any of the problems realized from 2008, pretty much sanctions the behavior.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

I loved the bank segment from last night's show.

How many employees are we talking about? Seriously, HBSC must employ thousands. You can't convince me that the criminal actions of a few employees, who could be prosecuted, would bring down the entire bank.

Exactly. There's no way it would make that much real difference. But of course those would be the richies and as B2H mentioned the government ties make the government basically their bitch. Absolutely disgusting what they're getting away with.

"By big house I mean a mansion."

The gratitude immune system metaphor was PERFECT.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

Nah. More like a plate of hash brownies ;-).

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 1:01 AM

Yes, Fox News and right wing entertaiment complex. Bring up the whole Al Jazeera is an anti-America media complex once again for your own amusement, even though it's not entirely true, and that you and Rupert engage in your own brand of hateful propoganda, which Jon pointed out.

And is it a slow news day today? Why else would they bring up the entire Baseball Hall of Fame inductee shutout from yesterday? Completely useless, IMO. Well, if Jon's gonna play that, then he'd better have something for Lance Armstrong going on Oprah next week.

I didn't think I would enjoy the Josh Brolin interview, but I did. He and Jon had a great time, although I could have done not seeing Brolin's chest.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 1:26 AM

Just caught up on Tues & Wed's shows, so now that I'm back, I'll post next week's guests:

1/14: TBD
1/15: Bob Schieffer (CBS News' Chief Washington Correspondent and moderator of “Face the Nation”)
1/16: Jessica Chastain (actress – promoting movie “Zero Dark Thirty”)
1/17: Lena Dunham (actress- promoting HBO show “Girls”)

My dad (who lives in Michigan) had already filled me in on the bridge story, but I really enjoyed Al's piece anyway. Apparently the back-ups at the Ambassador Bridge are epic, especially with post-9/11 security, so the second bridge is REALLY needed.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 3:47 AM

And is it a slow news day today? Why else would they bring up the entire Baseball Hall of Fame inductee shutout from yesterday? Completely useless, IMO.

It is a big story. They could have gone into the cheaters that are in the Hall of Fame, a lot more. Hell, the only thing mentioned about Cobb was him being a racist, not him sharpening his cleats to injure players. Hank Aaron admitted to taking greenies, it's believed Babe Ruth injected himself with animal hormones, guys admittedly doctoring the ball and numerous other players admit to taking amphetamines. I do like that he brought up baseball being segregated, and how that apparently isn't a problem for the Hall of Fame.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 5:06 AM

I didn't think I would enjoy the Josh Brolin interview, but I did.

Me too! I realized that I didn't have any basis for thinking I wouldn't like him; I don't remember ever seeing him interviewed before. They got through the arrest pretty smoothly, and I thought the whole interview was pretty funny. I loved him making fun of the dramatic "we're at war!" line from his movie.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

I, too, didn't expect to like the Brolin interview. It was a lot of fun. I don't know if Jon and Josh had met before, but I liked that Jon felt comfortable enough to bring up the NYE's arrest to zing Josh.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Re: The Ambassador Bridge. There's also a tunnel connecting Detroit and Windsor, unless it's been closed. When I lived in Ohio and wanted to visit freinds in Ontario, I'd often drive an hour north of Detroit and take the bridge from Port Huron to Sarnia just to avoid the delays and endless construction maze at the Ambassador Bridge.

Sam's section of the baseball story really fell flat. They should've used that second and ended with the Hulk Bonds destroying San Francisco.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 10:07 AM

Nah. More like a plate of hash brownies ;-).

My deep and abiding love of Jeff Bridges knows no bounds, but yeah, this is very likely! Nonetheless, I grinned like a fool watching them even though I couldn't figure out what the hell they were talking about! I'm like so many of you, just thrilled the show is back. Also enjoyed Josh Brolin very much.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

It is a big story.

It's a big story in the American sports world. But compared to other stories that have been backlogged over the past 3-4 weeks and that are more pertinent to people's lives, it's basically a non-story.

Re: The Ambassador Bridge. There's also a tunnel connecting Detroit and Windsor, unless it's been closed. When I lived in Ohio and wanted to visit freinds in Ontario, I'd often drive an hour north of Detroit and take the bridge from Port Huron to Sarnia just to avoid the delays and endless construction maze at the Ambassador Bridge.

The tunnel is still open, as I used it over a year ago to get to Detroit to watch a soccer game at Ford Field. And they've added a second bridge next to the Blue Water Bridge connecting my old home town of Sarnia to Port Huron in 1997. I wouldn't know how traffic is there because I haven't been back home in years.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:37 AM

It's a big story in the American sports world. But compared to other stories that have been backlogged over the past 3-4 weeks and that are more pertinent to people's lives, it's basically a non-story.

Jon's a huge baseball fan. Didn't you hear him beg for Mike Piazza—or any Met—to be inducted? I also think the story was mentioned to give people a bit of a breather from the more serious stuff that's going on. I couldn't take four nights of Jon ranting about the ills of the world, no matter how necessary the rants are.

I have mixed feelings about Josh Brolin, given his anger issues, but he was a very good sport about the reference to his NYE arrest, and a delightful interview. I also enjoyed his self-deprecation in pointing out that he may not be very hairy, but he still has the caveman brow.