The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51623 replies to this topic

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

I feel foolish for thinking LaPierre was going to say something different and, well, SANE.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

At times like this, I find comfort in reminding myself that since Pierre is french for Peter, he's quite literally Wayne the Dick.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Our God is an Awesome God has been stuck in my head ever since they played it on TDS. Arg.

I wonder if it will be too late to address the CT shooting by the time they come back? I suppose they could show all the gun violence since. Including the firemen shot and killed today in Rochester.

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

I wonder if it will be too late to address the CT shooting by the time they come back? I suppose they could show all the gun violence since. Including the firemen shot and killed today in Rochester.

I'm confident that that there will be enough gun-based lunacy by the time TDS returns that they'll be able to dive right in. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see another tragedy during the hiatus.

Edited by marceline, Dec 27, 2012 @ 12:23 PM.

Ryan

Ryan

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

At least one writer has a long memory: https://twitter.com/...198381445656576

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

OMG - that is awesome, Ryan, awesome!

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

When do new episodes of the show start again? Monday the 7th?

Some stories I'd like to see covered: The media's apocalyptic coverage of the fiscal cliff. Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin's New Years shenanigans. And some of Jon's righteous indignation about the House of Representatives refusing to vote on allowing aid for Hurricane Sandy victims.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

Way too much, and far more serious things, have happened for them to devout any time to Kathy's and Anderson Cooper's New Year's show(although I loved it).

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

I bet they will cover the Republican Peter King's outrage toward his own party, for delaying Sandy relief:
http://www.npr.org/b...&cc=nh-20130102

Jon likes to cover NYC issues, disasters in particular, and this is the sort of "even their mothers don't love them" story that keeps his outrage high without making him too much of a risk-taker.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

I would like to see Jon pointing out the hypocrisy, especially this statement:

"It’s not about politics,” Mr. Grimm said. “It’s about human lives.”

Sure, they remember this now. I think the people in New Orleans were not human enough, or the people on Medicaid are not really human. Congress is pathetic, but they will pass the relief bill. Then they will try to cut Medicaid, since the poor and the disabled have lost all humanity in the eyes of the republican party

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

No way Jon talks about AC & Griffin's annual New Year's Eve shenanigans. That's total fluff. I see him covering the Sandy Hook tragedy, the fiscal cliff deal, and the Republicans refusal to allow relief aid for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. The last one, I can imagine Jon getting furious at Republicans, much as the same when they tried to cockblock the Zodroga bill two years ago.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 7:16 PM

the speaker just scheduled a vote on the relief bill, or part of it, for Friday. As I said, they have to forget that "it is about people" soon, so they can start cutting the assistance for the "not people enough"

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

I'd love it if they'd do some commentary on the Hastert Rule, the BS "majority of the majority" rule that pretty much cuts out all possibility for a minority led bill to come to a vote. That's what stops the majority of legislation from passing.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 8:12 PM

Uh-oh! Bassem Youssef - Egypt's Jon Stewart, and whom Jon invited onto his show last year - is under investigation by Egyptian prosecutors for making fun of president Mohamed Morsi.

This will definetly add to Jon's indignation when the show gets back.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Hello everybody. It's been a long time.

Jon has been invited to host Feb. 8's Musicares event honoring Bruce Springsteen as Person of the Year.

Wonder if Chris Christie will weasel himself a backstage pass.

SassyCrumpet

SassyCrumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

I don't know if

....Chris Christie will weasel himself a backstage pass.

but I did wonder if Jon would try to get himself a little of that "slow dance hug" action that Christie got. If so, I hope it is recorded and used on the show - I'm sure that Jon's joy would be a thing to behold.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

Jon and Bruce are pretty good buddies at this point, I think. Jon gave Bruce one of the best tributes I've ever heard at the Kennedy Center Awards a few years back.

And then there was this encounter, which seems to have gotten Jon a hug, if not a slow dance hug.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

I love that Kennedy thing, s-girl (and hey, welcome the heck back!), especially how tickled the folks in the balcony get at the notion of a Dylan/Brown baby.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

Wonder if Chris Christie will weasel himself a backstage pass.

After Christie's reaction to his own party turning down aid for victims of Sandy, it would not surprise me.

Welcome home shamskygirl. You were sorely missed here these past few months. :)

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:16 AM

Looking forward to the guests this week, particularly Jeff Bridges and Josh Brolin (in his case, for no other reason than a possible mea culpa—or not).

(And awww, thanks, EJ and af.)

UnderCover

UnderCover

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Count me in as a member of the Welcome Back shamskygirl Club!

And yay!yay!yay! This break has gone on forever.

Edited by UnderCover, Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:22 PM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

Guess Jon problably wants to save the Sandy Hook disaster for later on. The fiscal cliff deal was rather predictable, but, as expected, Jon layed waste to the Republicans for their asshole behavior over relief funding of superstorm Sandy, moreso than usual it would seem. When will they realise you don't fuck around with Jon's backyard?

Seems Republicans are ready to destroy America for not letting them have their way, fucking douchebags.

Anyway, welcome back Jon.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:56 PM

Welcome back to both shamskygirl and Jon :-)

I think Jon made the right choice to focus on the fiscal cliff at the top. So much happened while he was gone, it really probably was best to go for it as the easiest to tackle, with the most potential for laugh aloud humor. I laughed merrily along, but it was actually Anne Hathaway that elicited the biggest laughs for me.

I think she won me over by greeting Jon with a "welcome back!" that sounded sincere and relieved. Then it turns out that listening to Anne Hathaway giggle is an entirely contagious thing. She was a lot of fun. She was like the antidote to grim.

Good show and jeez is it ever good to have Jon back. Now even when the world does something that will both shock and appall, as it is wont to do, I will at least know that TDS might still make me laugh about it, at the end of the day.

Jeez, that whole show was like a tonic. I think Jon could have just sat there and I'd have just been so glad to see him that I'd have laughed in relief anyway. I'm not sure at what point Jon and TDS became my Linus-style-security-blanket, but he did.

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:57 PM.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

I'd like to see Jon ream the media re: Sandy Hook the same way he reamed the HousePubs for their Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy tapdance. The media invasion gave Newtown as much heartache as the massacre.

I'm not sure I have the strength to sit through Les Miz, but I did think Anne Hathaway was great as Catwoman. But not as great as she is in her Claire Danes/"Homeland" spoofs.

ETA to say: I agree shimp, the Hathaway giggle is almost as infectious as Jon's.

Edited by shamskygirl, Jan 8, 2013 @ 12:04 AM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 4:12 AM

The media invasion gave Newtown as much heartache as the massacre.

I doubt that. After the media leaves, lives can go on relatively normally. The massacre? Well, nothing will ever be normal after that.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 6:31 AM

The media invasion gave Newtown as much heartache as the massacre.

I doubt that.

Well, nothing personal, but maybe you wouldn't if you were dealing with its constant intrusion in your life when you were in shock, or if you knew the town or any of the people who were going through that very experience. Nothing about their lives will ever be "relatively normal," and on top of that, there's the endless parade of "well-meaning" gawkers, and so many "sympathetic" donations you can't use you haven't got time to clear them away.

I know people in family therapy as a result of this crisis—and those are the ones who didn't lose a child. What they don't need is reporters from every network bringing the world to their front lawns 24/7.

Edited by shamskygirl, Jan 8, 2013 @ 6:49 AM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 6:51 AM

The media is mostly all gone, and will all leave when the next horror story comes along. The kids are never coming back. There is no comparison.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 7:01 AM

YMMV. My original point was, I'd like to see TDS give it to the media for being sickening and shameless. That's what the show does. All the O/T arguments in the world have nothing to do with the gist of what I was saying.

Edited by shamskygirl, Jan 8, 2013 @ 7:01 AM.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 7:51 AM

My original point was, I'd like to see TDS give it to the media for being sickening and shameless. That's what the show does. All the O/T arguments in the world have nothing to do with the gist of what I was saying.

I'm with you on that. If anyone deserves a lambasting that barely pauses for breath, it is the media and I hope that Jon is merely getting the rip-roaring piece in order. Whether it is their ridiculous use of things like "Fiscal Cliff! ZOMG! Freak.the.hell.out!" or the blatantly slanted take on just about anything you can name in the political sphere, there is one thing you can count on from today's news media: they make life suck more.

And showing up in Newton following Sandy Hook, taking advantage of a town torn by grief, actively so in shock so as to not be able to think straight, was reprehensible. They harassed the residents and tried to up the drama at every turn. If the world hadn't screamed as one, in dismay, they'd have tried to interview every child in that school, live on camera, because they have turned into a zombie nation of soulless, pitiless, inhumane pieces of irredeemable shit.

I think you just used the phrase "gave them more grief" figuratively, shamskygirl, not literally (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I agree with your point. That's the stuff that hopefully Jon will go after. It's the function of the show and the media's behavior was without decency or even, arguably, morality.

No, it wasn't just as bad as losing a child, of course, but they sure as hell took a bad situation and did everything they could to make it suck more. I briefly considered journalism (I'm too wordy...altogether now, "Gee, you don't say...!") and I am so very glad I was ill-suited to it. I think a lot of reporters must have a smoking contract with the devil, smoldering in their closets, signed with the blood of the innocents they exploit.

Speaking with hyperbole, of course :-)

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 8, 2013 @ 8:00 AM.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 8:45 AM

I think you just used the phrase "gave them more grief" figuratively, shamskygirl, not literally (please correct me if I'm wrong)

No, that's not wrong. I certainly wasn't talking in quantitative, statistical terms. I liken it to this: If losing your child is a knife in the gut, the media just twists it slowly for as long as it can. I think that, even though gun control is a critical issue that needs to be addressed, even the open discussion of it on the airwaves needs to be limited. Because if all it's going to amount to is having to listen to the head of the NRA spew psychotically on random morning shows (and not really be meaningfully challenged), who needs that?

But TDS is generally much better at making these points.