The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51623 replies to this topic

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Did I seriously hear this right - that pitcher is 48? Wow.

Not quite. He's 38. But knuckleballers have famously long careers, some pitching until they were nearly 50.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

This Christmas, give that special Republican senator, who voted down the handicaped accesibilities act because of some delusional paranoia about the U.N. taking over the country, something special they never forget. A massive boiler room beatdown. Fucking assholes!

And I love how the TDS correspondants take down buzzkill assholes like Bishop Ron Allen for their stupid disaprovals over anything. Al mimicking an old person had me loling.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

The republicans who voted down the ratification of the CRPD are the Glen Beck types: conspiracy theorists. Jon could bring back his Glen Beck and point out this nonsense.

Very frustrating to watch that vote. Not to mention the congressional hearing on autism when the conspiracy of the vaccines ran for almost three hours, with statements brought back from the 80's

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Simpson sounds like most GOP, "oh we've put revenue on the table (cut loopholes that don't do much) but you dems still think no entitlements can be cut," which is nothing but bullshit.

Of course, the GoP continues to be extremist in preventing disability rights.

Wow, three weeks of no show, that's a helluva long time.

Edited by Hanahope, Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:11 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

I ff-d through Simpson's visit the minute he started in on entitlement-cutting. He's well on record that to him, Social Security is "a milk cow with 310 million tits," to which I can only suggest he can suck this.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I ff-d through Simpson's visit the minute he started in on entitlement-cutting. He's well on record that to him, Social Security is "a milk cow with 310 million tits," to which I can only suggest he can suck this.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to grab Jon and kiss him all over for pointing out how EVERYONE is always courting corporations favor like they're some dainty, precious thing. When they're just raking in profits and gripping about every single tax increase and how it's going to make them cut jobs. Only if they insist on making even more profits and more profits the next quarter and so on.

“Bah- BAM.” I loved the progression of that because I just figured the joke that Jon told about Kerry explaining McCain’s joke was it. And then the reveal. HEE!

"It’s official. Republicans hate the UN more than they like helping people in wheelchairs." Basically.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

“Bah- BAM.” I loved the progression of that because I just figured the joke that Jon told about Kerry explaining McCain’s joke was it. And then the reveal. HEE

Yeah, I thought Kerry would respond with some long, boring comment too but his calling McCain "Mr. President" was epic.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

It's a shame John Kerry never became president. Besides Bush's sneaky laughing and Cheney's Penguin waking, Kerry's long winded talking is my favourite bad impersonation from Jon.

macbeth

macbeth

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

No I have to respectfully disagree - Jon's best impression is his Senator Lieberman's impression as "Deputy Dog." I was so sad to see Lieberman go.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

It's actually Droopy Dog, macbeth.

To review: Wyatt Cenac is leaving TDS next week, right? You guys think his departure will be marked in any way? I'm not expecting Mick Jagger to sing "Ruby Tuesday" while the cast dances with Wyatt, but something would be nice.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 6:16 AM

Yeah, Jon's Droopy Dag impression of Liebermann was great, but he always made me laugh out loud whenever he broke out Kerry's rambling, monotonous, made for the jokes impression.

I felt like Kate Middleton at the hospital when it comes to the media's over the top coverage of her pregnancy. Didn't know if they would cover it, but I'm glad they did. It was what I expected from TDS. And it's hysterical that that "so what" guy showed more common sense than the alleged journalists covering it, especially Monica Crowley.

And that KEEP CALM AND CARRY TO TERM title in the segment. I wonder if the graphics department went to this site to make it?

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

I knew about the "Keep Calm and Carry On" slogan from WWII history, but had no idea it was such a meme! Thanks for the site!

Edited by jjj, Dec 7, 2012 @ 8:56 AM.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

What exactly has Christie compromised on in NJ? It seems to me, he vetoes whatever he doesn't like (gay marriage, state insurance exchanges) and rams through the Dems, makes them compromise of what he insists on (like cutting teachers salaries). Oh wait, I remember, he "compromised" in not cutting taxes on the 1%. Wow, that was "huge".

Yes, he's a very personable guy. I still don't like his philosophy. Jon is right, Democrats have empathy for everyone - other people with problems, Republicans only have empathy for their own problems.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

I think Jon was right about Republicans only caring about things that affect them. It reminded me of the clips he showed of what's her name on Faux News ranting against maternity leave, until of course she had a child. Then she was of the opinion that it should be every woman's right.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

I'm not expecting Mick Jagger to sing "Ruby Tuesday" while the cast dances with Wyatt, but something would be nice.

I'll be happy with anything but your suggestion is pretty awesome, EmperorJon.

I think Jon was right about Republicans only caring about things that affect them. It reminded me of the clips he showed of what's her name on Faux News ranting against maternity leave, until of course she had a child. Then she was of the opinion that it should be every woman's right.

Urgh! That woman is so utterly phony. I care if she has glimmers of being a good person or smarter than your average news actress, she's just as bad as the rest of them.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I believe there is a line between adorkable fanboi and clingy, creepy, proto-stalker; I believe Christie has crossed it. I was seriously getting the willies at how, um, enthusiastic he was during the opening Boss convo.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I believe there is a line between adorkable fanboi and clingy, creepy, proto-stalker; I believe Christie has crossed it. I was seriously getting the willies at how, um, enthusiastic he was during the opening Boss convo.

I know. I felt the exact same way. Ew.

I get what Jon was going for with Christie, but I don't think accepting emergency disaster aid while vetoing the health insurance exchange is comparable. Jon had a stronger point about Republicans not caring about programs/policies/issues until it affects them personally.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Despite really disliking Chris Christie, I found him to be fairly tolerable in this interview.
I think fundamentally my issue with "we hate the government" Republicans is exactly what Jon said. Ultimately, they really do only display empathy or understanding when it directly affects them, otherwise people are just mooching or whiny or entitled. Let the free market rein. I think most of them don't even understand what this even means, they just parrot it.
When CC said "Republicans like to have the free market, or capitalism, run things except when they believe that government is the only way to solve the problem."
Doesn't it seem like an inherent contradiction to every policy, philosophy they've spouted for 20+ years? I thought the government couldn't do anything well and the markets would always be able to do it better. It just strikes me as well I needed money for NJ so it's ok, otherwise they can shove it.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

I really dislike it when Jon tries to make someone defend the entire party. A lot of the interview would be Jon saying "Republican's ________" and Chris Christie saying "I can't speak for other people, I didn't say it". What's with the obsession with Kate+William's baby news in the US? Geeze.

Add the fact that cc.com kept skipping to random parts of the episode in the middle of whatever Jon was saying and it was just an episode I wasn't really feeling.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

I believe there is a line between adorkable fanboi and clingy, creepy, proto-stalker; I believe Christie has crossed it.

A writer at The Onion obviously agrees with you. Ha.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

I enjoyed the piece about the Royal pregnancy, but hope this is the end of The Daily Show's coverage. Here in the UK we are going to be subjected to 9 months of fore-lock tugging bullcrap about this, as papers and TV fawn over them. It's tough being a republican over here (not that kind of Republican). The Monarchist propaganda machine is very efficient.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

You have my deepest sympathies, Gulftastic.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Dave Brubeck got the MoZ on Wednesday. It made me all verklempt.

UnderCover

UnderCover

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I'm with you, and I thought it was doubly creepy because I had the feeling that he was also trying to suck up to Jon, the cool guy, because Jon is a fanboy as well. Though Jon and his wife have apparently gone out to dinner with Springsteen and his wife- a real relationship, not the forced hug for the governor of his state.

I am just hearing for the first time that there will be three weeks off. Three weeks? Isn't that the longest break the show has ever taken?

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I am just hearing for the first time that there will be three weeks off. Three weeks? Isn't that the longest break the show has ever taken?

Last year, their last show of the year was 12/15, and they returned on 1/3.
In 2010, their last show was 12/16, and they returned on 1/3.
In 2009, their last show was 12/16, and they returned on 1/4.
In 2008, their last show was 12/11, and they returned on 1/5.

They have fewer days off in the run-up to Presidential elections, and they make up for it with an extra-long holiday break during election years. In 2011, they got a week off in October, whereas this year, they did four full weeks of shows in October.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I get what Jon was going for with Christie, but I don't think accepting emergency disaster aid while vetoing the health insurance exchange is comparable. Jon had a stronger point about Republicans not caring about programs/policies/issues until it affects them personally

IMO both of Jon's arguements are valid.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

I had hoped they'd do a segment on the royal baby w/John Oliver. Actually, I was kind of surprised they didn't.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

I had hoped they'd do a segment on the royal baby w/John Oliver. Actually, I was kind of surprised they didn't.

John was in Los Angeles, according to this week's Bugle. Which is basically just 20 minutes of John & Andy discussing the royal baby.
He doesn't have any stand-up dates there, according to his web site, so maybe he's there on assignment for TDS?
(He will be up here in San Francisco over New Year's, as has become a tradition. I have tickets to see him, which will help make the long TDS hiatus a little more tolerable.)

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

I believe they were off for that exact time between August and September of 2009. The first show back, Jon was in a fat suit talking about how he ate nothing but cheesesteak sandwiches. I could see him do the same thing when the show's back in January, talking about all the different holiday dinners he's been eating during that time. Or, he could grow another goatee.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Or, he could grow another goatee.

You shut your mouth right now.