The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51663 replies to this topic

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

I'm just so bored by xmas. I hate everything about it, and if there was a war on it I would probably be glad (not a military war, but a de-escalation of what to me is a totally imperialistic presence every winter). I understand why Jon did what he did to debunk the usual whiny hysterics over at Fox, but what I'd really like would be not to have to see or hear anything about xmas one way or the other for half an hour every night.

Come sit next to me Charlie Brown because I feel the same way. Although I loved Jon's rant. The absurdity of the war on Christmas again in the same year we were told that there's no war on women is almost more than I stand.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

I'm glad Jon made the point that some government building not having Christmas decorations doesn't mean there isn't an overabundance of them elsewhere. I'll never understand those loons. Why does it matter that the DMV has no nativity scene out front? Your next-door neighbor probably does.

NickCarraway

NickCarraway

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Saw elsewhere that it's an anti-church-state separation thing -- if 'christianity' isn't a 'religion', then writing its 'philosophies' into law isn't unconstitutional.

Yup. No "religion," no conflict with the First Amendment's "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." Bill sounds like some desperate defense attorney on Law & Order. I'd love to see someone try to use that line of thinking in a court instead of a talk show and see how far they get.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

The absurdity of the war on Christmas again in the same year we were told that there's no war on women is almost more than I stand.

Excellent point! It's just so insane sometimes I can't stand it.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Jon forgot to bring up the Star Wars Christmas Special that involves Chewbacca's family. Or the Pac Man Christmas special. And speaking of stores that specialize in Christmas, there's this town in Michigan called Frankenmuth that's supposed to have the world's largest Christmas store (check out the message in its logo). It must be so difficult for Fox News to stand up for the overdog like that. And Bill O'Reilly and Gretchen Carlson aren't nuts, they're stone cold cynical.

Enjoyed seeing Denis Leary together with Jon.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

There was much to love in last night's show, but my favorite moment was Jon's "vegetative state" face during the interview.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

check out the message in its logo

LOL! Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland. Classic shallow pitch to try and make a company seem like it's all about following Christ. I like how they make sure that Bronner's is still front and center and in larger font. Because hey, branding is everything.

UnderCover

UnderCover

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

The War on Christmas segment was sheer joy. I can't wait to watch it again. I badly want to give everyone I know Make Fox News Mad Libs. Fill in a "godless liberal bastion!" A "group with incredibly little power!" A "classic Christmas symbol!"

I also loves the idea that some "hungry kindergarteners" and a bunch of "ovulating cats" would be more effective than Congress.

Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I can't wait to see Jon's reaction to this.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 3:30 AM

Stalin fucking a bald eagle had to be one of the funniest, most disturbing visuals they've ever had on the show. Laughed out loud at that.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:45 AM

I got an extra chuckle when I looked at the eagle's face, which seemed to be saying "When I voted for one eagle from the flock to get fucked by Stalin, I didn't think it would be me!"

Edited by Al Funcoot, Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:47 AM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

I can't help but think Stephen's gonna be mightly pissed at Jon for showing that picture of Stalin fucking that eagle. But then, Stephen's problably too deep into his Hobbit week to notice.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Great bits on the fiscal cliff ("lets just go off the cliff and fly for a few seconds") and lack of Republican leadership diversity ("the party that hates teachers unions awards leadership positions based on seniority", "hey, statistically, one has to be gay" and "house-wife")

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

I'm not a baseball superfan -- I like it just fine though haven't watched for a while -- but that interview with RA Dickey was very enjoyable. It's nice to hear an intelligent, articulate person explain what he does and how he does it.

I hadn't seen that clip of Sorbo yelling "DISAPPOINTED!!!!" but that is hilarious! Was it really a stage direction? I kind of wonder why they didn't refilm it, but I assume the filmmakers had a great sense of humor.

I thought Jon would cover the two conservative Repubs being kicked off the Budget Committee by Boehner. I thought the news occurred early enough in the day, but maybe not. I assume Jon will mention it tonight.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Have been to Frankenmuth.

Yes, their logo reads CHRISTmas, but it really is Chri$tma$.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

I'm not a baseball superfan -- I like it just fine though haven't watched for a while -- but that interview with RA Dickey was very enjoyable. It's nice to hear an intelligent, articulate person explain what he does and how he does it.

I now have my first baseball-player crush.

I hadn't seen that clip of Sorbo yelling "DISAPPOINTED!!!!" but that is hilarious! Was it really a stage direction? I kind of wonder why they didn't refilm it, but I assume the filmmakers had a great sense of humor.

Isn't that from Hercules? That show was tongue-in-cheek enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the clip were legit.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

The entire Dickey (can't believe Jon didn't joke about his name...) interview is well worth watching. Dude is a thoughtful guy.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Isn't that from Hercules? That show was tongue-in-cheek enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the clip were legit.

Yes it is. I don't recall them all in detail (its been a few years), but it looks like an "opposite" episode, where Sorbo/Hercules was playing an "evil" version of Hercules (you can tell by the hipster facial hair).

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Isn't Sorbo yelling 'Disappointed!' a complete ripoff of Kevin Kline's oscar-winning turn in A Fish Called Wanda? Lord knows I've been ripping that off since 1988...

Dickey is a childhood rape survivor, which he covers quite openly in his memoir. Good on him for being public about it, to reduce the stigma and shame that is usually associated with that. I hope he can stay in NY.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Ugh, good to know that our generally homogenous party is still great at getting nothing done and making sure things stay that way.

I love guests that aren't actors that Jon is generally indifferent about. I also love guests that let Jon fanboy over something. Not a fan of baseball but loved the interview. I always thought knuckleballs were THE pitches for baseball, so was surprised to hear that there was a "controversy" about it.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Isn't Sorbo yelling 'Disappointed!' a complete ripoff of Kevin Kline's oscar-winning turn in A Fish Called Wanda?

Or homage. But you've got to be right. I haven't seen that movie in ages, so I didn't remember that scene.

Dickey is a childhood rape survivor, which he covers quite openly in his memoir. Good on him for being public about it, to reduce the stigma and shame that is usually associated with that.

I didn't know that about him, but then I knew nothing about him before the interview. I agree that it's a good thing when people can talk about these things to de-stigmatize them.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

I always thought knuckleballs were THE pitches for baseball, so was surprised to hear that there was a "controversy" about it.

Because of the 'chaos' of the pitch's trajectory, catchers haaaaate it. (Even if the batter whiffs, there's an awfully good chance he'll get on base anyway because the catcher can't catch it. Which is a stat that counts against the catcher. Which affects how much money he can make on the free agency market.)

Also, it's hard to learn, nobody uses it except in the majors --which means there's no place to learn it and no mentoring for it in the minors, and because it's thrown comparatively slowly, there's no Alpha Dog aura surrounding it. Kids grow up wanting to throw 100 mph, not 80. Guys who've mastered the knuckle did so because they had no other arsenal. Like RA said, if he didn't learn the pitch, he wouldn't still be pitching in the majors. [/baseball fan]

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

I'm so glad Jon explained the joke of the audience at the beginning. I'm always so jealous of those people and their in-jokes! LOL.

"Two sides just spray painting the side of a camel and hoping it wandered in front of the other side.

I hadn't seen that clip of Sorbo yelling "DISAPPOINTED!!!!" but that is hilarious!

I laughed my ass off at that clip let me tell you.

"I don't want you to fall off this cliff, so why don't you voluntarily jump off this steeper cliff. But don't worry your fall will be cushioned by lava."

I loved the part about Democrats not being adequately angered, or should I say DISAPPOINTED, by the crazy proposal.

Dickey is a childhood rape survivor, which he covers quite openly in his memoir. Good on him for being public about it, to reduce the stigma and shame that is usually associated with that. I hope he can stay in NY.

OMG - I didn't know that attica finch. I don't even have the words.

Edited by happybumblebee1, Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Next week:

12/10: Bishop Gene Robinson (Bishop of the Diocese of New Hampshire in the Episcopal Church & author – promoting book “God Believes in Love: Straight Talk About Gay Marriage”)
12/11: Laura Linney (actress – promoting movie “Hyde Park on Hudson”)
12/12: Mayor Cory Booker (Mayor of Newark, NJ)
12/13: Kristen Stewart (actress – promoting movie “On the Road”)

And now for the sad part:

Weeks of 12/17, 12/24 & 12/31: DARK!

Yes, that means no new Daily Shows between Dec. 14 and Jan. 7. (sniff) I can't wait to see what huge news stories break during that time...

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

12/13: Kristen Stewart (actress – promoting movie “On the Road”)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I bet Cory Booker is on to talk about his living on food stamps challenge. Which sounds like something NPR covered recently.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Yes, that means no new Daily Shows between Dec. 14 and Jan. 7. (sniff) I can't wait to see what huge news stories break during that time...

No question about it, I'm going to die.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Great bits on the fiscal cliff ("lets just go off the cliff and fly for a few seconds")

I disagree and I'm convinced Jon doesn't know as much about it as a lot of us think he does. Another example of that is his rant from last week about all the different names used for the fiscal cliff. People want to call it different things because it isn't truly a fiscal "cliff", meaning that there are different timelines for when the various cuts happen instead of everything happening at once.

I agree with Jon that Congress has been ineffective when it comes to a number of things but IMO he's really wrong about Congress failing to come to an agreement to prevent the fiscal "cliff". He said it sarcastically but they really do want to go off the cliff because it serves a purpose. The Bush tax cuts for the wealthy would be the first to go and by letting them just expire the GOP could still say they've kept their pledge and then come to an agreement with the democrats to prevent a lot of the other stuff from happening. I and the other people who believe this is the plan all along could be giving the GOP way too much credit but as I've said before I'm learning there is (almost)always a method to the GOP's madness.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:09 PM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

FUUUUUUUCK!

Three weeks of darkness and the last thing we have to see is the surly, overrated Kristen Stewart.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Well that spans both the supposed end of the world on the 21st and the "fiscal cliff" so we're pretty much doomed.

Mookster

Mookster

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Did I seriously hear this right - that pitcher is 48? Wow.

And Jon Stewart may work hard all year - but boy does he get a lot of time off.... :(