The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51621 replies to this topic

UnderCover

UnderCover

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

That conversation with God was one of the weakest things I have ever seen on TDS. I almost felt embarrassed watching it. But it's still nice to see that face after a break, and I'm not talking about Ryan Gosling.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Yeah, the show wasn't all that great, but we're used to that after a break, unfortunately. I did sort of enjoy Jon's riffing during the first few minutes of the show. It felt kind of loose, more like stand-up. I was surprised they didn't do anything on Thomas Ricks' being booted off Fox News, especially since Ricks has been a guest on TDS. Maybe tonight.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

Yeah, the talking to God segment was not the strongest thing the show has done. On the one hand, whenever the show comes back from a break that wasn't a prep-week (where they are dark, but taking a week to write, come up with bits, etc.) the bits do seem to falter, which makes some sense. That that one really face-planted makes even more sense because the staff would have been off last week and it would have been something they just whipped up that day (and uh...kind of showed it, yipes).

However, on the other hand, it was great to see Jon full of energy and not seeming so jaded or weary. The show was a little sloppy. Nonplussed usage was not a highlight, although Anderson Cooper giggling after an explosion was actually really cute, I thought. Still, Jon seemed actually happy to be there and the mistakes didn't seem to be out of laziness, he just seemed sort of ...caffeinated. A little hyper, but in a good way.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Yeah, it wasn't that good. When you rely on a shirtless Ryan Gosling and Notre Dame going to the championship game for your humor, then you're still sleepy from the turkey you've eaten.

This is what I thought too. There was so much heavy stuff to go after but then again maybe it's too heavy you know and it can't really be "made fun" of as it were.

No. I think he's a good actor but I have no desire to hit that. I'd take Jon over Gosling in a heartbeat. :-)

Me too!!! He's got that extreme stare that most women seem to be all over but it just creeps me out.

But it's still nice to see that face after a break, and I'm not talking about Ryan Gosling.

I know right! He looked good!

UnderCover

UnderCover

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

I forgot to mention Hungry, Hungry Hebrews. Now that was a winner.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

It is both laughable and angry to listen to these paid shills defend or say nothing about how top management fucks over the companies they oversee and then have the gall to lay the blame on "greedy" employees who barely get by on what they make working for them. Pay attention to the recent election, asshats. People have had it with your Ayn Rand attitudes. Time to face reality.

And Hostess executives, there's a special place awaiting you in hell for denying me my occasional Hostess Apple Pie, you bastards.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

The other day I read this column in the LA Times about how mismanaged Hostess has been, so I was glad that Jon at least touched on what really happened with it; however, I'm sure right-wingers still blame the unions.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

It's Jon's 50th birthday! I wonder if that'll be mentioned on the show tonight. He's now eligible for the AARP!

Warren Buffett seems like an incredibly cool guy. That is all.

Next week's guests:
12/3: Denis Leary (actor, comedian & author – promoting book “Denis Leary's Merry F#%$in' Christmas”)
12/4: R.A. Dickey (pitcher for the New York Mets & 2012 Cy Young Award Winner – promoting documentary “Knuckleball!”)
12/5: TBA
12/6: Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ)

Edited by loudfan, Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Ugh, Jon's interviews with Denis Leary always devolve into stale heckling and reminiscences about their comedy club days.... but maybe this time will be different!

Chris Christie should be good.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Personally I love whenever Leary is on, I like seeing him and Jon just being friends and bust each other's balls the way only real friends can do.

I have nothing bad to say about Buffet but I was disappointed he got two segments.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:40 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I can't even imagine what a fanboi Jon will be with Mr. Dickey. Well, actually, that's not true. I can, and it's delighting me.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

So a couple days ago, Mr. loudfan & I were reminiscing about the shows where Jon used to do those long take-offs of Glenn Beck's conspiracy theory driven blackboard rants, and I mentioned that I hadn't heard anything about Beck at all during the entire presidential campaign. I said that Glenn is probably making good money from the handful of followers nutty enough to subscribe to his Internet channel, and we won't hear anything about him as long as that's his only platform, since it's not like the folks at TDS (or Talking Points Memo, or Right Wing Watch...) are going to pay cash to hear his latest ramblings. However, I suspect that Glenn is tired of being ignored, since he's doubled down on the crazy. As much as I think Glenn Beck is a loon, I must admit that I sort of miss those TDS segments. I'm torn between not wanting to feed the troll, and thinking that a Beck segment on TDS would be a fun change of pace from the usual complaining about Fox News.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Jon (and Stephen for that matter) hasn't really delved into Glenn Beck since he left Fox News a year amd a half ago. The only time he's shown up has been in the form of old clips that are used as reference points for something else Jon talks about - which is usualy Fox News. While he's making boatloads of money from his subscription fees, Beck has just a fraction of the audience he used to have over at Fox News, and therefore has far less influence than he used to command. No surprise then that Jon (and Stephen) never pay attention to anything he says and does. And I bet that's eating him up.

As for next week, I'm looking forwared to another appearance by Denis Leary. He and Jon are a riot together. Better than Ricky Gervais and Will Farrell, IMO. And the interview with Chris Christie should be interesting, given all that unfolded a month ago.

Edited by EmperorJon, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:45 PM.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Whenever I think of Jon and Denis Leary I think of that special(which I still have on tape) they did on MTV in 1999: The 25 Lamest Videos where they along with Janeane Garafalo and Chris Kattan would watch and comment on bad videos which had the infamous incident where Vanilla Ice smashed the set. My favorite part being when they were watching Rico Suave and Nelson's "After The Rain".

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

25 Lame! So funny. It looks like all of it is on YT in chunks. Totally worth a rewatch.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I also watched and loved the Lame videos special. Wasn't it live? I don't remember Chris Kattan being there, though. I just remember Jon, Leary and JG and how they were all smoking like chimneys.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Britain's House of Parliament as "the whitest black church" is my new favorite thing. Second only to Jon's disgust with Sen. McCain's seven-year effort to undo every good thing he had ever done. TDS ebbs and flows, and I have had some major issues over the years and will undoubtedly do so again in future, but the fact remains they can consistently make me laugh about infuriating things like the excoration of Susan Rice.

"I'm probably not the most-educated person on Comedy Central--"

"No, because that would be Colbert."

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Neil Young is such a sweet, introspective, delightful, humble man. I absolutely loved having him as the guest tonight.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

Neil Youngs's music is not remotely my cup of tea. But he was quite delightful in the interview. Still not my musical genre, but what an interesting man.
The Britsh parliament bit was pretty funny too.

I may missed some things because I have to say that I was watching while simultaneously checking to see if I won the Powerball...clearly I was not the winner.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

I get so angry whenever I hear a Repub criticizing Susan Rice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought what she was saying to the media back then was directly from the redacted CIA report.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I get so angry whenever I hear a Repub criticizing Susan Rice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought what she was saying to the media back then was directly from the redacted CIA report.

This is all theater. The White House sends Rice to the Hill because they want to "check the temperature" for a possible appointment. She talks to them, some want attention, they go on and on with the slander. After a while the White House will know if they will have the votes to confirm her or if they have to nominate someone else.

I think Ambassador Rice must be very annoyed by this. She seems to be a very no-nonsense person and this whole thing is anything but.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Neil Young is a singer right? Like Bob Dylan era? Because that was not what I was expecting with that interview. He was crazy entertaining and I really enjoyed the interview.

So, it's pretty fair to say that John McCain will never go back on TDS. Geeze. The segments were all on point. Rice vs Rice? Well done. Oh and I've never heard of Fudge before, but she was pretty awesome. Nice use of the correspondents as well.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

In all fairness to Jon, he and Stephen are technically the same amount of educated, right? Stephen just has more honorary degrees :) And Sunday school training... but surely Jon is the second-most! (Unless some of his correspondents have master's degrees?)

Parliament as the whitest black church was hilarious. I also enjoyed Jason Jones trying to get the Russian lady to express joy.

Edited by NicoleMN6, Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:25 AM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

A collection of Jon's best quotes, as Flavorwire sees it. There are also pictures!

Edited by dubbel zout, Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:35 AM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

The Susan Rice thing is ridiculous. She's the ambassador to the UN, not a CIA agent, not a Libyan ambassador, not a psychic. They are acting like she was directly responsible for the intelligence.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

John Oliver is the guest on "Totally Biased" tonight-- it airs on FX at 11:30pm (but repeats, and is also on Hulu).

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

The segments were all on point.

While I enjoyed their segment with the various correspondent's as Jon's "choir", especially Jessica Williams bringing out the fan and Wyatt jumping around "when he felt the Spirit", I disagree with Jon's saying its indiscriminate bile coming from the GOP over Rice's appointment. As the TDS intern who covers MSNBC must know, and probably has told Jon, the GOP's blocking Rice's appointment is very much a calculated, political move. They want President Obama to make John Kerry the new Secretary of State after Clinton leaves. Thus opening up a senate seat in Massachusetts which the GOP hopes to have filled by Scott Brown who lost his senate seat to Elizabeth Warren in the election earlier this month. That senate seat is important to the GOP because if a republican holds it that would prevent the democrats from having a filibuster proof, "super majority" in the Senate.

I loved that press conference and agree with Jon that all of our politicans should have press conferences that awsome. My favorite part was;

Senator Fudge - "Now, I'm not the most intelligent person around..."
A voice from behind her - "You're an attorney."

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

John Oliver is the guest on "Totally Biased" tonight-- it airs on FX at 11:30pm (but repeats, and is also on Hulu).

Totally Biased is on at 11pm now - head-to-head w/TDS. Thankfully, my DVR records two things at once.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

That's a wonderful link dubbel zout, dubbel zout. And what an infinitely sweet picture of the Stewart family out for Halloween. :-)

Personally I love whenever Leary is on, I like seeing him and Jon just being friends and bust each other's balls the way only real friends can do.

Whenever I think of Jon and Denis Leary I think of that special(which I still have on tape) they did on MTV in 1999: The 25 Lamest Videos where they along with Janeane Garafalo and Chris Kattan would watch and comment on bad videos which had the infamous incident where Vanilla Ice smashed the set.

My people! I recorded that and like watched it every weekend. So hilarious! Good times!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

especially Jessica Williams bringing out the fan

OMG, I loved that the most. All she needed was a giant ol' picture hat.