The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51623 replies to this topic

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Jon tried—he said (paraphrased) "Something is moving, but I'm not sure it's life"—but then I think he realized it was pointless to argue that. Huckabee believes that's what the Bible says. He's never going to be convinced otherwise.

I don't even believe that Republican men really care that much about the sanctity of life. I call bullshit on their militant pro life stance. They are way more interested in limiting the role of women in the workforce and politics, and society in general, and one way to do that is to not allow us control over our bodies. If we're too busy being pregnant and raising children, it keeps us out of their way as they try to maintain what's left of their power.

They don't mind abortions if it's their mistress that got knocked up, but the 14 year old that was raped by her stepfather, well that's what God intended.

If they're so goddam concerned about life, then how about they stop starting wars.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Not just talking about it, Jon working Sandy relief on Staten Island.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Huckabee's video said they support the "sanctity of life from conception to natural death." Natural death? So that means he is opposed to the death penalty, right?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Shorter Huckabee: How dare you infer exactly the thing I implied -- it's not like I said it!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

I don't know why Jon invites Huckabee and other right wingers on the show anymore. I used to think it was a good idea to try to have dialogue, but now I think it's just a waste of time

It's even worse IMO because of Huckabee's "aw-shuck's" demeanor and his willingness to come on TDS some people may consider him a moderate and may even vote for him should he run in 2016.

And how the heck does Huckabee rate two segments? And then they also put him on the web? He must've replaced McCain as Jon's republican crush.

Naming her book "All in" was an unfortunate choice.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Wish he had pinned Huckabee down on the "life begins at conception" FACT he used

The problem I have with his statement is that he said "biologically, it is a fact". No, it is not. Religiously, he might believe it is a fact. Biologically, life begins when there is heartbeat. Life ends when the heart stops. According to his logic, we would have to consider the end of life after the decomposition process is finished

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

When did Huckabee get fat again?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Sperm cells are 'life.' Ova are 'life'. Cancer cells are 'life.' Nobody minds getting rid of those on a regular basis, why the fuss over zygotes? (...she asks rhetorically.)

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

According to his logic, we would have to consider the end of life after the decomposition process is finished

So by cremating your loved ones after they "die", you're actually killing them. That's deep. All kidding aside, that's a pretty severe interpretation of what he said in regards to death. I am curious about what his thoughts on death penalty or making the call on a brain dead individual are.

Am I the only person that watched the whole Huckabee interview and mildly enjoyed it? I am? Ok. It was fascinating how Huckabee kept on saying, "that's not what I intended", when in fact it was precisely what he intended. Jon also made some butt kicking great points about gay marriage that Huckabee couldn't really say anything against.

Sperm cells are 'life.' Ova are 'life'. Cancer cells are 'life.' Nobody minds getting rid of those on a regular basis, why the fuss over zygotes? (...she asks rhetorically.)

Wasn't it illegal to masturbate or use condoms back in the day? I remember in our medical law lectures that there were a few cases that were brought to court to challenge that (and we were just tested on it as well, so clearly I didn't focus on that lecture too much). But I think it'd take a real medical doctor/scientist/medical law person to actually get into that argument/conversation with people like Mike Huckabee. Jon's smart, but the nuances of the argument would be beyond him. My med school had to get a MD/JD/MPH to give those lectures. Of course, I don't know why people that have no degree or knowledge about biology and get their "scientific information" from the Bible should have any say in this. But that's already happening.

Edited by maculae, Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:21 PM.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

So by cremating your loved ones after they "die", you're actually killing them

That's a good point. And you would be burying someone "alive". See how the "life at conception" does not hold?

emanze

emanze

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I don't know why people that have no degree or knowledge about biology and get their "scientific information" from the Bible should have any say in this

Which begs the question Jon didn't ask, namely: how is your interpretation of Biblical passages germane to laws passed by the state?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Wasn't it illegal to masturbate or use condoms back in the day?

Sing it with me!

Ev'ry sperm is sacred
Ev'ry sperm is great
If a sperm is wasted
God gets quite irate!

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

When did Huckabee get fat again?

Every time I see him on TDS (which is pretty much the only place I am forced to see the Huckster), I can't help but yell out "Quit digging your grave with a knife and fork!!!!" (the name of his "diet" book). Huck's lucky he's a man -- if a female politician/TV personality had lost all that weight and gained it back, no one would ever shut up about it, but Huckabee's girth seems to be off limits as a topic.

Stephen (with his Catholic, South Carolina & Sunday School teaching expertise) would have utterly eviscerated him. Bet Huckabee will be avoiding The Colbert Report.

That was exactly what I thought as well!!!

I KNEW that Grover Norquist's "poopy-head" comment would be the moment of Zen as soon as I heard about it. Yes, that is the man who holds the entire Republican delegation of Congress in his thrall. What a statesman.

Edited by loudfan, Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:20 PM.

parisgal3

parisgal3

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

Oh I'm glad someone else brought up Huckabee's weight gain. I couldn't tell if he actually had gained weight, if the side shot was just unflattering, or if when I think of Huckabee I just picture Gregory Itzin, who is much thinner, in my head (since I only see Huckabee through clips on other shows) so I was wrong about his figure.

I haven't watched the extended clip yet, but I may have to. I enjoyed the interview and didn't really mind Jon going a little easy on him because everyone who watches this show knows this guy is far-right, religious, and cannot be reasoned with. I give less leeway to those in the mainstream media who let lies and ignorance go unchecked (including my beloved Rachel Maddow).

"It is the height of man's arrogance to presume what Jesus would vote for" immediately became a quote I will be keeping in my back pocket to pull out whenever I try to reason with the Religious Right.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I wasn't impressed with Paula Broadwell back in January, when Jon interviewed her. And I'm less impressed with her now. I was surprised that Jon said he didn't notice any suspicion of an affair when he interviewed Broadwell considering how he felt she was singing some incredibly high praise of David Petraeus. Of course I did love his smacking down of the right wing media using the Petraeus resignation to fuel their growing failing of making anything out of the Bengahzi situation.

And I'm like a lot of people here when it comes to Jon talking to difficult people, like Mike Huckabee. It's like he keeps hitting his head against a wall everytime he tries to reason with them. You'll never be able to change their warped minds.

Hey Huckabee. There are many devout Christians out there who actually believe in social justice for all. And that it's the poor that should be helped and defended, not the rich and successful. And that climate change is real and not a myth. It's people like you - so called true Christians - that give all Christianity a bad name. It would do your ilk a whole lot good to learn just what Jesus was really doing and why. Because you're no true follower of him.

And I loved how that interviewer totally took Grover Norduist to task over his poopy-head comments. This guy truly has the mentality of a twelve year old.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Which begs the question Jon didn't ask, namely: how is your interpretation of Biblical passages germane to laws passed by the state?

Thank you! As soon as he started saying something about "Corinthians I" (or whatever it was) I wanted Jon to shoot back "Alice in Wonerland, Chapter 4." They are equally relevant to legislation (as in, not at all).

ilovetv246

ilovetv246

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

I enjoyed the Huckabee interview, but like most posters it doesn't feel like it went anywhere. Whether it be w/social conservatives, or evangelical christians, the bible is always brought into the mix, and it becomes a discussion, primarily, about what the bible teaches, and what it means to be a believer.
When the TDS has those sorts of guests, I have learned to just laugh, nod, and say, "see, that's what I'm talking about".
My dream is that eventually, one of them will go home, watch their ep., and have that "holy-shit realization" that their faith is not, nor should be, how we make policy and set laws in this country.
I respect their faith. Now please respect that I don't want your faith in my politics.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Lord, I could not stomach watching Huckabee but I did catch the beginning when Jon said that maybe what his grand kids will get out of his book is what the weather "used to be like."

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

but I did catch the beginning when Jon said that maybe what his grand kids will get out of his book is what the weather "used to be like."

And then what sounded (to me) like a pause from Huckabee when he decided whether he should laugh at that or not. (Or while he tried to figure out what Jon meant.)

Yeah, it's a global warming joke, Huckabee.

I don't know if I can handle the extended version of the interview, but I did love indignant, righteous, very sexy Jon. I so very much love him sticking up for others (gays, women, the poor, animals, etc.).

Rawr.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I guess Jon and Jason Sudeikis didn't take their advanced civics classes. If there was a tie in the Electoral College 269-269, the House of Representatives would choose the President (Romney) and the Senate would choose the Vice-President (Biden). So there would be a Romney-Biden ticket and Jason could pull double duty on SNL.

The first 2 segments were funny, but kind of depressing. The election is a week old and already people are sour grapes about it. And we're obsessing over someone's private life. What does it matter to the public if Petreus was getting some on the side? That's between him, his family, and the other people he's sleeping with.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

It seems like Sudekis did know but was too polite when Professor Jon corrected him and said they now run on the ticket together instead of separately. Sudekis also seemed stunned when Jon Stewart accused Joe Biden of being someone sneeze who'd hit up chicks at a funeral. Joe Biden is funny as hell but he is a genuine square about his family and it shows in everything he does. It was also weird because Biden lost his first wife and baby daughter, so the funeral crasher joke was in bad taste, too. Sudekis seemed a bit taken aback but rolled with that.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

Sudekis also seemed stunned when Jon Stewart accused Joe Biden of being someone sneeze who'd hit up chicks at a funeral. Joe Biden is funny as hell but he is a genuine square about his family and it shows in everything he does. It was also weird because Biden lost his first wife and baby daughter, so the funeral crasher joke was in bad taste, too. Sudekis seemed a bit taken aback but rolled with that.

Yeah, I was with Sudekis on that one. Biden is a lot of things, but funeral crasher was just kind of harsh, IMO. I see him more like a guy who gets drunk at a party, and maybe goes wild and says things he shouldn't. Or use foul language when he shouldn't. But not funeral crasher. Honestly, I felt that was kind of mean-spirited of Jon. I'm not against those type of jokes if the person deserves it, but Biden is harmless enough, IMO. The crowd didn't see comfortable either.

I did find it interesting when Sudekis said that he and the writers also tried to find way to humanize his versions of Biden and Romney, like with the Biden/Bush skit about gay marriage and the Romney skit this past SNL. Hell, I actually felt bad for Sudekis' Romney, which I clearly can't say the same for he real Romney.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

My dream is that eventually, one of them will go home, watch their ep., and have that "holy-shit realization" that their faith is not, nor should be, how we make policy and set laws in this country. I respect their faith. Now please respect that I don't want your faith in my politics.

You and I are sharing a dream, it seems. I take no issue with Faith it just doesn't belong in politics, legislation or the government. Also, jeez, I never thought I'd long for the days where it was considered rude to start talking about God all over the place, lest you make someone uncomfortable. I'm really to the point that I wish Jon would stop having people like Huckabee on. It may have taken Jon this long to realize, "Wow, he seems sort of sane on my show and then trots off and is one of the bigger lunatics in the political asylum." but I doubt it.

Yeah, I was with Sudekis on that one. Biden is a lot of things, but funeral crasher was just kind of harsh, IMO. I see him more like a guy who gets drunk at a party, and maybe goes wild and says things he shouldn't. Or use foul language when he shouldn't. But not funeral crasher. Honestly, I felt that was kind of mean-spirited of Jon. I'm not against those type of jokes if the person deserves it, but Biden is harmless enough, IMO. The crowd didn't see comfortable either.

Honestly, poor Jon just seems so darned weary. I think he likely forgot about Biden's first wife. Both of his sons were in the car too, they recovered. Then, I'm fairly certain Biden doesn't drink, but I take your point. He seems like the overly exuberant guy who can't read a room. It was just a weird moment though where it seemed like Jon had confused Joe Biden -- a brash but decent enough man -- with Ryan O'Neal. A man so crass he has joked about how he flirted with his own daughter after a funeral, not realizing who she was because they hadn't seen each other in that long.

I think poor Jon really just needs the break that is coming up. Between the election, Sandy, Nor'easters and then yet another political cycle in which bullshit like Huckabee's ad that absolutely implied "Vote as we tell you, or you're going to be judged and sent to hell." which...yeah, that's what that Corinthians thing is about. All acts being recorded for final judgment. But whatever, evangelicals pick and choose what they will give validity to in the bible, not caring if it's old testament (Adam and Eve) or new. Or even if they are only choosing part of a biblical passage, like Leviticus which gets dragged out to prop up things a lot by people probably set to eat a ham sandwich later. Again, the only problem being it gets dragged into politics and proposed policy and law.

Plus, when someone like Huckabee is on, there to promote yet another book (dude, how much money do you actually need, because damn) it's just such a pointless endeavor. TDS's audience is so unlikely to run out and buy Huck's book. They'll invariably talk politics. Bullshit will fly and it's all very circular. No wonder Jon seems in need of a long winter's nap. I got tired just contemplating it.

Edited by stillshimpy, Nov 14, 2012 @ 8:51 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

I thought that was interesting, too. Maybe that's why Jason's Biden and Romney were so good (IMO), because he played up the humanity of them. They weren't just caricatures.

And when Jason brought up Romney/Biden, what bugged me is that Jon went off on explaining that that wasn't possible (even if it was) rather than get that Jason was mainly making a joke about him playing both the President and Vice-President.

Re the Petraeus thing, I was confused. I was picturing the second general (from Afghanistan?) who had sent Jill Kelley a pic of himself shirtless, but it was actually the FBI agent who Kelley first contacted about the harassing emails, right? One thing that's not being discussed is that this agent was able to start an investigation, delving into people's private emails, because a friend of his asked him to check into it. That's kind of scary.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Re the Petraeus thing, I was confused. I was picturing the second general (from Afghanistan?) who had sent Jill Kelley a pic of himself shirtless, but it was actually the FBI agent who Kelley first contacted about the harassing emails, right? One thing that's not being discussed is that this agent was able to start an investigation, delving into people's private emails, because a friend of his asked him to check into it. That's kind of scary.

It gets even scarier with the suggestion that the Shirtless FBI agent that started checking into this whole thing also started trying to turn it into some sort of hookup opportunity. Good lord, how horny are these folks? Can't anyone involved just behave professionally for three weeks straight? But beyond that, why in the world am I hearing about this in such depth? When Fox News is talking about how resignations weren't announced until after the election, etc. as if what these people were doing with their apparently overly-abundant sex drives was somehow tied to Benghazi and I confess, maybe it's because I keep doing dizzying double-takes over the hormonal hijinx of some pretty highly ranked individuals, but I sincerely don't get it.

Were they all too distracted by their raging libidos, is that the implication? Because it genuinely seems as if they are, as a group, about the last people I'd want to be married to and that apparently they are all behaving as if they are in permanent attendance at a 1970s key-swapping swingers party but the tie to Benghazi on any level is mystifying the heck out of me.

Jon really went after that aspect with the "Wait, breaking news!" bizarreness and how they are all behaving like particularly well-heeled high schoolers, but I'm sort of at a loss.

I really am simply not getting how there was some great threat to national security there. Threat of burning while peeing, maybe.

Then the piece about the CEOs threatening layoffs and part-time employment because a billion dollar chain might make eight million fewer dollars than they have in previous years, causing them to cut back on ...what? Their diamond encrusted grapefruit spoon collections? Out of the two of those stories I wish Jon would just keep going after them, because whereas I get it, who doesn't like having money? Again, holy crap, how can anyone actually need that much money? Do they clean their ears with platinum q-tips swathed in silk or something? They're threatening minimum wage pizza cooks and deliveries with unemployment for the audacity of wanting to have health insurance or voting for the candidate they choose when -- if my math is even close to correct -- they stand to lose a percentage of their income that exists in the single digits.

I liked Jon's thing with the two million free pizzas being one thing they could cut back on, but I wish that piece had more attention than the apparently inexhaustible sex-drive of military commanders and the women they fight over.

Actually when I think about it, no wonder Jon made a slightly odd joke about Biden and got too easily distracted by the Romney/Biden joke. There's a surreal quality to the news cycle at present. Including the "Hey, let us secede!" folks.

Edited by stillshimpy, Nov 14, 2012 @ 9:55 AM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

[shallow] I thought Jon's suit was very attractive. He doesn't often wear that shade of grey (in suits, anyhow), and it looked very nice. [/shallow]

I can't even express how much I loved "Band of Boners." I can even hear the theme music.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

A man so crass he has joked about how he flirted with his own daughter after a funeral,

The funeral of his long-time partner, yet.

I think Jon has Huckabee on because they can have civil conversations about their differences of opinion, but even so, neither of them will change the other's mind. And once Huckabee starts using the Bible as his guide, there's no defense. Jon needs to start pushing the separation of church and state with him more, since that's where there's something to talk about.

the tie to Benghazi on any level is mystifying the heck out of me.

Fox has to tie everything into some sort of conspiracy/coverup by the Obama administration. I think they're going to double down with the insanity during Obama's second term. Roger Ailes probably needed to be sedated when the election returns came in. Karl Rove probably still is, lol.

berhbabybern

berhbabybern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I don't think Jon can ignore the fact that there are personal relationships that triggered this investigation, especially because the shirtless FBI guy has a political axe to grind with President Obama...yeah, this is real news. Also, both generals have sent letters in the custody battle of Jill Kelley's sister...what in the world is going on at the CIA, FBI and Pentagon that there is this much time for all of this behavior? Please, Jon, don't let the creepy salacious details run you off from what is an important deeper problem.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

maybe it's because I keep doing dizzying double-takes over the hormonal hijinx of some pretty highly ranked individuals, but I sincerely don't get it.

Isn't it typical that men in power engage in risky sexual behavior?

bullshit like Huckabee's ad that absolutely implied "Vote as we tell you, or you're going to be judged and sent to hell."

Just before the election, in our newspaper (LA Times) and others, Billy Graham had this full-page ad.

Then the piece about the CEOs threatening layoffs and part-time employment because a billion dollar chain might make eight million fewer dollars than they have in previous years, causing them to cut back on ...what? Their diamond encrusted grapefruit spoon collections?

I want a lot of money, too, but what about the axiom "For the greater good"? I know some people let greed control their actions, but I have a hard time understanding a corporate guy like John Schnatter (Papa Johns) who has a net worth of over $200 million, not even considering taking a cut of $8 million. For the good of his company, which consists of his employees. Without them, he has no pizza company.

I think one factor is that wealthy people equate success to money, and if they have less money today than yesterday, they are failing.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Isn't it typical that men in power engage in risky sexual behavior?

Exactly, that's why I can't find the news in that. It's like watching the news turn into a gossip column without even trying to conceal it. "Powerful people behaving badly and getting it on with people other than their spouses!" It makes me wince for their spouses and I do understand why a resignation was needed, it's just sort of ...isn't that the whole story? "An affair that was particularly twisted led to the resignation of the director of the CIA." If there's more to it, or there's an implication of more, like maybe Petraeus let his biographer have access to information he shouldn't have.

Just as I was typing that, I went to look up Petraeus's name to make sure I didn't butcher it and finally, there seems to be something beyond gossip of what other people do with their willies and whatnots Classified documents found in Broadwells home."

Okay, I withdraw the objection to the coverage.

but I have a hard time understanding a corporate guy like John Schnatter (Papa Johns) who has a net worth of over $200 million, not even considering taking a cut of $8 million. For the good of his company, which consists of his employees. Without them, he has no pizza company.

That was my point, it's just manipulation and political posturing, because good gravy man, shut up and make eight million fewer dollars so your workers can actually see a doctor when ill, or trying to prevent being ill. I just don't know how Schnatter sits there and says something like that. Gee, he might have to NOT buy an extra three acres on a private island while having to settle for the smaller yacht.

Anyway, my objection turned out to be moot when it comes to Petraeus and his paramour. There are matters beyond people being rather icky to their spouses at hand, it seems.