The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51615 replies to this topic

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

I wonder how much griping there'll be about Obama losing the popular vote. Of course 12 years ago Bush won without the popular vote.

The latest totals: Obama 60,078,266, Romney 57,397,415. So Obama won over two and a half million more votes than Romney.

11 PM can't get here quickly enough for me today. I'm so eager to see TDS's take on the epic Fox/Karl Rove meltdown last night.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Obama won the popular vote too, didn't he? That certainly won't stop Fox from griping regardless admittedly. ETA: Or I guess we won't know for absolute sure about the popular vote until Florida is in.

So I actually wasn't worried and just enjoyed the freaking out that was commencing everywhere. Except TDS. Jon seemed rather subdued.

He did, but it sort of fit. He has been saying that he just wants this to be over and I sort of got the feeling that he was being sincere about that. Admittedly NYC has been having such a tough time recently (understatement alert!) that I think his fatigue had to do with that more than anything.

I'm still hopeful that TDS will have a blast with the Fox strangeness( Fox: now with even more lunacy and tantrums).

Edited by stillshimpy, Nov 7, 2012 @ 1:51 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

For once I was watching live, flipping to news coverage in the commercials. TDS was showing the filmed Samantha Bee piece when Obama was declared the winner by NBC & CNN. Then they came back to live & threw it to commercial. Only when they came back from commercial did Jon declare Obama the winner. What is the point to doing a live show if they were going to delay the announcement?

Maybe I was expecting too much, but I was disappointed w/TDS & Colbert last night.

I ran into a Daily Show producer on the voting line yesterday (he was wearing a Daily Show jacket) & praised his show to the hilt. If I see him in my neighborhood today, I'll have a critique this time.

Edited by braggtastic, Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

What is the point to doing a live show if they were going to delay the announcement?

In their defense there was no other time they could make the announcement. They were already airing a piece and they have absolutely zero control over commercials. And what actually happened was a lot better than if they had pre-taped their show. Back in 2008 Jon was able to announce Obama's win fairly soon after he was called the winner but unfortunatel for them it took some time last night, that's the chance you take when you do a live show.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

If they taped the show at the usual hour, they wouldn't have had the result at all until tonight. So I'm glad they stayed up late. Of course, there was no guarantee a result would have been announced at all during the half-hour, given some of the difficulties at the polls.

I feel bad for both of them, what with the TDS equivalent of 'day game after a night game.' And sad for the writers that Allen West is now gone, his being such a reliable thing to mock. But they've still got La Bachmann to kick around. And Rove. Such sweet Foxhole schadenfreude!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I don't agree. First of all, they didn't have to plan to have a taped piece when doing a live show. They could have done something in studio & interrupted it when word came down. Second of all, Jon could have announced Obama's victory before they went to commercial after the taped piece was over.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Not only did Obama win the popular vote, but I read that he is the first Democratic president to win a second term with more than 50% of the popular vote since FDR. Also, Obama's popular vote totals this year and in 2008 ('08-52.9, '12-50.4) were both higher than Clinton's popular vote totals either year he won ('92-43, '96-49.2).

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

I'm glad to hear he won the popular vote. I don't know what time it was when I last checked the numbers.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Not only did Obama win the popular vote, but I read that he is the first Democratic president to win a second term with more than 50% of the popular vote since FDR. Also, Obama's popular vote totals this year and in 2008 ('08-52.9, '12-50.4) were both higher than Clinton's popular vote totals either year he won ('92-43, '96-49.2).

Putting that into perspective, in both '92 and '96, there was a third-party candidate who took a good chunk of the vote. Perot wasn't going to come close to winning, but we should remember he was there. I'm always interested in how Clinton's numbers had gone up during the second election.

Speaking of, since he's generally an interesting guest, I'd love to see Bill back on the show now that the election insanity is over.

FartyPants

FartyPants

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

Putting that into perspective, in both '92 and '96, there was a third-party candidate who took a good chunk of the vote. Perot wasn't going to come close to winning, but we should remember he was there. I'm always interested in how Clinton's numbers had gone up during the second election.

Speaking of, since he's generally an interesting guest, I'd love to see Bill back on the show now that the election insanity is over.

Also, the number of people voting should be bigger in 08 and 12 compared to 92 and 96 ..
Nate got the predictions for president just right .. I am looking forward to listen to him tonight about that.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Next week's guests:
11/12: Mike Huckabee (former Governor of AR, host of “Huckabee” on Fox News Channel & author – promoting book “Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett: A Grandfather's Thoughts on Faith, Family, and the Things That Matter Most”)
11/13: TBD
11/14: Jon Meacham (Executive Editor at Random House & author – promoting book “Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power”)
11/15: Judge Andrew Napolitano (Senior Judicial Analyst for Fox News & author – promoting book “Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom”)

Week of 11/19: DARK!

Dear Chandler, Dear Scarlett, you're going to grow up in a very different world from the one your grandfather knew. A world of tolerance and diversity. Step one: quit listening to your grandfather's mad ramblings.

I'll be sort of interested to watch Jon's conversation with Huckabee, but I don't think I can stomach Napolitano. His new book sounds cray-cray. "With lessons rooted in history, Judge Napolitano shows the intellectually arrogant, anti-personal freedom, even racist progressive philosophy driving these men to poison the American system of government.
And Americans still pay for their legacy—in the federal income, in state-prescribed compulsory education, in the Federal Reserve, in perpetual wars, and in the constant encroachment of a government that coddles special interests and discourages true competition in the marketplace."

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

state-prescribed compulsory education,

Ye gods. He sounds like a ninth grader: School is killing my Freeeeedom!

Ugh. A week full of center/right guests. I want liberals to come! Perhaps, though, they have better things to do, what with all the mess the center-right makes for them to clean up.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

Ugh. A week full of center/right guests. I want liberals to come! Perhaps, though, they have better things to do, what with all the mess the center-right makes for them to clean up.

On the plus side, these are guests that he's had on before that wouldn't dare spout their really ridiculous beliefs. Makes them sound more like people I'm willing to listen to.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

11/14: Jon Meacham (Executive Editor at Random House & author – promoting book “Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power”)

I imagine he'll mostly want to talk about his book, but I hope that they spend a little bit of time talking about the Penguin-Random House merger, and what that means for publishing.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

I was so nervous about the election I couldn't bear to watch any of the election coverage until The Daily Show came on. I figured it was the best way to hear bad news if I had to hear it. Loved the part where Jon said that Claire MCaskill (MO) had "legitimately raped Todd Akin." But overall I was disappointed in the coverage. Learned that Michigan and Pennsylvania were projected for Obama at the top of the hour then didn't get any more electoral results until the 20 minute mark when Jon simply declared Obama the winner without any further specifics. Hated the holographic George Washington bit, it was so anti-climatic on the heels of such monumental news.

Still, looking forward to seeing the show tonight. Should be a hoot.

parisgal3

parisgal3

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

While I really enjoyed the first segment of the show when I rewatched today, I wish I hadn't switched over last night to watch live. Missed the Ohio announcement and only knew about it because I had MSNBC on my computer and happened to glance down and see the cheering Chicago crowds. Then it was hard to pay any attention to anything but results and waiting for Romney's concession.

The McCaskill legitimately raping Akin crack was probably not very appropriate, but still got a chuckle from me.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

I was actually tuned to NPR, because I couldn't wait til 11pm to know how things were going. Even the relatively staid NPR coverage had gotten me a little high. So I agree that TDS seemed to be low energy and a bit of a let down. I was surprised, because I remember last time, it was a merry good time. I think the problem is that they didn't have people in the field, so they had to rely on pre-scripted bits that did not have any actual connection to what was happening. They basically did one of their usual shows, with Jon delivering the results in a normal tone of voice, instead of using the desk time on one of his rants about the day's events. And since the real events were available on other channels, having scripted bits divorced from that was just plain dull.

I think they either didn't have the budget, or didn't have the confidence, to do a live show with people in the field. So they should have had something more spontaneous going on in the studio, and they didn't. Couldn't they at least do live remotes with guests by satellite? Or even skype, or speakerphone, if they really wanted to make it cheap. They could joke about the low budget and work the low tech talking heads into the bits.

Scrubs9

Scrubs9

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Are we sure there's a new episode tonight? My guide is saying its a repeat.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Scurbs9, it's definitely a new show. Perhaps your guide is confused by the fact that Nate Silver was just on about 3 weeks ago? He's back, presumably to take a well deserved victory lap.

Scrubs9

Scrubs9

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Thanks, loudfan. So glad its wrong and that I thought to check that it would record. Can't wait for tonight's show.

Edited by Scrubs9, Nov 7, 2012 @ 7:32 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

That Napolitano book sounds awful. I don't know if I can stand to listen to him.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I was flipping back and forth between BBC and MSNBC all evening, then switched over to TDS at 8:00 (I'm on the west coast, obviously). So by the time I switched back at the commercial break, the election had already been called for President Obama and I had to do a mad sweep of channels to make sure and really take it in; I had been cautiously optimistic, but nervous as hell after the mainstream media did its level best to create reality out of its narrative that Obama had blown his chances with his performance in the first debate. Then I flipped back to Comedy Central, wanting to hear Jon's announcement, and waited through what felt like five minutes of commercials.

I rather liked his "oh, by the way" delivery since it was, by modern measures, old news by that point. I also liked his line about being exactly where we were before the millions upon millions of dollars were spent over the past couple of years. But on the whole, I found the show lacking. Perhaps I was just unfairly comparing it to my much-loved memories of the 2008 joint special, but it just felt like a normal episode that happened to air live during a crucial half hour; it had no particular energy. As one who had several moments of "just let this be over already" ennui - especially living in California with its never-ending parade of ballot initiatives and resulting commercials - I somewhat understand, but I did hope for a more vibrant episode.

Nate Silver's predictions were my security blanket leading up to the election, and as they came true last night they kept me from downing too many martinis to function today, so I look forward to his victory lap tonight.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I loved Patrick Stewart's narration so very much.

I thought the opening of the show was wonderful. But in 2016 I want them to go back to the 2008 format with Jon and Stephen together.

Me too!

That was about the best night of sleep I've had in a year :-) I really look forward to TDS's pieces on Colorado and Washington State getting it done for legalization. Not only did Mourdoch and Akin get their nasty sexist time machines torched handily, there was actual progress in some areas too. Also thank you Maine and Maryland, if we can just make Marriage Equality the norm, I will feel like hugging anything that will stand still long enough.

I was so amazed to hear about all the awesome things that happened besides Obama getting reelected.

Although I would have preferred Jon and Stephen to do the show together, I did enjoy their crossover as Jon's half-hour turned over to Stephen's. "I love you!"

So much flaily goodness!

Such sweet Foxhole schadenfreude!

BWAHAHAHA! That is awesome!

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Who else said along with Jon, "That ain't mud"?

While I was mildly disappointed with last night's episode, I could not love tonight's more. Perfection; I stood up and cheered like I was watching a Giants game. The false equivalency nonsense that plagued so many of the campaign episodes was gone; maybe future episodes will cover gaffes made by other networks, but tonight the entirety of both scripted segments, not to mention the interview, was on the alternate universe that is Fox News.

After TDS ended last night, I flipped over to Fox News - once I went back to my satellite's main guide to locate the channel, as I have it blocked on my custom guide - to see how they were presenting the president's re-election. It was liking watching election coverage on Mars. Going forward, I'll revert to letting the poor slobs at TDS weed through that slop and bring me the "highlights," but that was one entertaining glimpse into another world.

sunshine

sunshine

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 6:27 AM

While I was mildly disappointed with last night's episode, I could not love tonight's more

I find the election night TDS episodes alway sort of lame because it's all about election returns. In short, it's too serious to be funny and too short to be interesting. If Jon and Stephen could do an all day thing like other cable networks, then I'd be fascinated to watch. But, having said that, Jon was awesome in his "rip Fox" dance.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

I find the election night TDS episodes alway sort of lame because it's all about election returns. In short, it's too serious to be funny and too short to be interesting. If Jon and Stephen could do an all day thing like other cable networks, then I'd be fascinated to watch. But, having said that, Jon was awesome in his "rip Fox" dance.

I thought they did a prime time thing one year.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Nate Silver was so humble. I would be basking if I'd been so right, but not him. He just gives credit to the math. I like him.

He is the epitome of "mild-mannered." And very charming. And also great at his job.

Edited by Harry24, Nov 8, 2012 @ 7:19 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I suspect the intials BMN will catch on.

Who else said along with Jon, "That ain't mud"?

::raises hand, giggling::

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

I suspect the intials BMN will catch on.

I've been calling it that all day already, so it's already caught on with me. I hope it sticks.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Jon was at his best last night.

Corrections: Obama did not need Florida in 2008 either. As usual, Florida was still counting votes when he was declared President.
This year, Obama not only did not need Florida, he would have won without Ohio and Virginia, since he won Colorado, Nevada and Iowa.