The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51633 replies to this topic

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I want one of those doggie hammocks.

We used to have one of those for our Chesapeake Bay retriever. It's basically a tarp to keep mud and dirt off the backseat.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I loved the huge stack of cards Ollie had beside him.

Lipton always has a stack like that, or at least he used to. I haven't watched that show since it became yet another stop in a third-rate actor's publicity tour instead of a somewhat in-depth look at an icon's career. Often the tapings would last four hours, and would have to be edited way down for the TV show.

Oliver was perfect in that bit, and Cain was a great sport. I loved the audience cutaways - bravo to the audience members as well.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

And I won't lie: I kinda miss ol' Herman. Those clips are classic.

I was so hoping we'd see a clip of him quoting the great "philosopher", Pokemon.

Like Bob Dole, Cain is another guy whose fine with making fun of himself once he got out of the Presidential race. Unlike Rachel Maddow I don't think Hermain Cain is a performance artist but I never thought his run was legit but rather a publicity grab.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:48 PM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

So does John Oliver actually have a show like that? Or was the whole thing just set up for the Herman Cain bit? Because it seems like an awful lot of time and money was spent setting up that set with a live audience just for one sketch.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

They borrowed an existing set (there was a credit at the end of the piece). Oliver doesn't have a show like that.

bmoreviewer

bmoreviewer

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

I love Jon's acknowledgment that we have 8 more months of riffs on Mitt Romney's name. And Emperor Jon, I did think of a question after the Q&A session, alas: my question was, does he think it's possible to re-establish the sort of bipartisan relationship that allowed, say, Orrin Hatch and Ted Kennedy to work together? But I'm sure he's been asked that before!

Edited by bmoreviewer, Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:45 PM.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I'm totally on board with Hermain Cain's explanation of why he doesn't know the leader of Uzbekistan(stan). I'm now intrigued by the idea of Cain as a VP candidate--a Biden-Cain debate would be off...the...hook.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

That would have been a good question to ask Jon, bmoreviewer. Much better than asking him if he'll ever run for president.

The thing I took away from the first segment was Holy smokes, but Jessica looks like a very tall young woman, the way she towered over Samantha. Stand her next to Jon and I bet his insecurities would run amok.

Poor Kevin. That must have been filmed a while ago seeing as he was talking about Rick Santorum as a viable candidate. I liked how they got the whole Best Fucking News Team together for this.

And Madeline Albright is just fascinating to listen to. That's why she's a favourite of Jon's.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I agree - I'm definitely going to watch the extended interview online today.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

I wondered if Kevin was an actor, actually--he seemed pretty poised.

Madeleine Albright is transfixing when she speaks.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

I am still amazed by how many people don't bother to vote, ever. Just seems like such a waste. They complain about taxes, income, healthcare, but don't bother doing something about it. Yeah, maybe "one" vote doesn't matter, but I know 10 people who don't bother voting and you multiply that by thousands more and those votes do matter. The people I vote for don't always win, but I feel that at least I've tried.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I read the first Albright memoir, and boy howdy, it was a great read. ::puts the new one on the BTR list::

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Bill Donohue strikes back! (lol) Here was the idiot's response to Jon's comments from his weekend standup gig in Florida:

Nice to know the Catholic League is on Jon Stewart's mind. Unfortunately for him, we're going to hang around for weeks, contacting his sponsors and religious leaders from all the major religions. We're sending them the "vagina manger" picture he is so proud of, asking everyone to pressure Comedy Central into getting Stewart to apologize.

We really don't need to boycott anyone as the picture is so indefensible用utting a nativity scene ornament in between the legs of a naked woman葉hat no one save the maliciously sick would even try to defend it.

The good news is that Stewart lashed out at us in a serious moment葉he e-mails that are pouring into Comedy Central are obviously getting to him. We'll see who is branded as "ignorant" when our campaign is done.

Yeah whatever, asswipe. You're "efforts" have been as successful as growing watermelons in the middle of the Sahara desert. But hey, keep it up. You're good for a laugh.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

What was it Al said as the redneck on Kevin's panel in response to the gay marriage question?

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

We really don't need to boycott anyone as the picture is so indefensible用utting a nativity scene ornament in between the legs of a naked woman葉hat no one save the maliciously sick would even try to defend it.

So a plastic dime store nativity scene is somehow worthy of reverence...what was that in the Bible about not worshipping idols?

We threw my MIL's creche away after her death, none of the kids wanted it (let's just say it's not a quality piece). Does that mean we're going to HELL?

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

So a plastic dime store nativity scene is somehow worthy of reverence...what was that in the Bible about not worshipping idols?

I think it may have been more a comment that women/women's bodies are dirty and indefensible. I would love to corner him about that one.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I can totally appreciate the sentiment about voters in late states not mattering. Admittedly I'm a registered New York Democrat, but I had no idea the primary was yesterday until after the polls closed. There might have been 1 commercial for Mitt Romney here in the month of April that I saw, and I do watch a fair bit of TV. Heck I've seen more commercials for Canadian ISPs than for American presidential candidates.

I guess the tradeoff is that when there's an even race, like Obama/Clinton in 2008, the late states matter more than the early states, but that only happens rarely. It would be nice to see the media circus spread around more with rotating early states. It'd give Jon a chance to vary things up more.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

There's an interview with President Obama in the new issue of Rolling Stone, and he mentions Jon and TDS:

I don't watch a lot of TV news. I don't watch cable at all. I like The Daily Show, so sometimes if I'm home late at night, I'll catch snippets of that. I think Jon Stewart's brilliant. It's amazing to me the degree to which he's able to cut through a bunch of the nonsense for young people in particular, where I think he ends up having more credibility than a lot of more conventional news programs do.

It makes me feel good to know that he watches Jon and not Fox News!

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I'd like to see "Stephen" comment on that.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

It would be nice to see the media circus spread around more with rotating early states.

It's not up to the media to determine when a state has its caucus. Each state's legislature has to vote on when to hold it and in fact several states voted to move theirs up this year.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

I think what TDS was mocking is the fact that New York has 15 times as many people as New Hampshire, and 8 times as many Republican delegates. Yet because New Hampshire must have the first primary, the media obsesses over it very disproportionately to its actual size, while NY having a later primary is all but ignored by the media. If there were some sort of rotating system in place for which states had early status in a given year (and the RNC could do this fairly easily), then the media would be able to flock to different states each year, and the TDS would get to mock stuff other than deep fried butter in Iowa and NH towns that finish voting by 12:05 am.

Think how different things might have been had Pennsylvania had its primary when Santorum was near his peak in popularity earlier this year instead of the April timeslot it usually chooses.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Next week's guests:
4/30: Zach Wahls (author promoting book 溺y Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength, and What Makes a Family)
5/1: David Barton (author promoting book 典he Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed About Thomas Jefferson)
5/2: Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK & author promoting book 典he Debt Bomb: A Bold Plan to Stop Washington from Bankrupting America)
5/3: Peter Bergen (author promoting book 溺anhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--from 9/11 to Abbottabad)

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Zach Wahls

Oh! If I'm not mistaken, this is the kid who testified before the IA lege about his gay moms in defense of gay marriage, in a video that went viral. I predict my allergies will act up; I'd better stock up on tissues...

As ever, thanks to loudfan for stoking my guest-anticipation furnace.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Four authors in one week! Are they trying to make Jon go blind? That's too much reading for anyone.

Kalidah

Kalidah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

5/1: David Barton (author promoting book 典he Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed About Thomas Jefferson)

David Barton, no doubt shitting on Thomas Jefferson's memory? I'm going to have to make sure there are no heavy objects within reach when I watch that one. I can't afford a new TV.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Kalidah, Glenn Beck wrote the foreword to Mr. Barton's book, so that should give you some idea of where he's coming from. Between Barton and Sen. Coburn, it's gonna be a difficult couple of shows to get through.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

Jason Segel seemed kind of high to me, but Neil DeGrasse Tyson solving the Rubik's Cube as he walked out was the coolest moment an astrophysicist has ever had on a late night talk show.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

Next week's guest list is a veritable shit sandwich, with Barton and Colburn comprising the shit.

I believe Jon when he says NdGT completed that Rubik's Cube all by himself. You think they shot that close up of the globe to start the show for NdGT to say he hasn't fixed its rotation? And yes, I admit I was thinking about the other kind of Tang flavor Jon had chastized everyone over.

I thought Obama's appearance last night was kinda lame. But only because it involved Jimmy Fallon. Please Mr. President, we know you're a fan of Jon and his show. Make an appearance there ASAP.

And I'm quite surprised it was Jason Segel's first appearance on TDS. I'd have thought he'd been on before. He seems like Jon's kind of guy.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

Segel seems like he's on Letterman every third week, so I'm surprised to hear he'd never been on TDS.

I saw NdGT standing there with a 3/4 solved Rubik's Cube doing it while barely glancing at it. It reminded me of one time I saw a kid on the subway speed solving a cube in a matter of seconds - impressive.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

NdGT sauntering out there was the epitome of cool.

I, too, could have sworn that Jason had been on the show before.