The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51609 replies to this topic

SassyCrumpet

SassyCrumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Jon said he loved Skybars which made it sound like he can't get them anymore. Heck, they sell them at my local grocery store. Where would I mail a case of them to him?

snowcrash

snowcrash

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Neil deGrasse Tyson is the guest for Monday! Best guest ever.

Agreed! Hope he formally accepts Larry Wilmore's Lin-proposal...

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Speaking of Larry, he has a new gig that I hope won't interfere with his appearing on TDS.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

I hope won't interfere with his appearing on TDS

According to the article, it won't.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:05 PM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Sure, they say that now...I guess I've been burned too often by the promises of showrunners and their ilk to believe their words.

Advanced planning--when is the next break likely to be? The week after Easter?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

When they came back last week, Jon mentioned they get an "undeserved" vacation every five weeks.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

I LOVED John comparing Romney to a rape baby. "Not that the Republicans WANT Romney, but they have to make the best of a bad situation."

Agreed. I also loved Jon's face at the horror of what Santorium's statement about a woman having to keep a baby from rape.

The cute moment with John Oliver was too adorable for words.

ETA: catching up and working my way backwards.

The Republicans have nothing when they try and scare the public into thinking what Obama might do. And yet, it's so infuriating and nauseating when they try. Glad to see Jon smack them around silly. And there isn't a snake in the world big enough to swallow Newt Gingrich whole.

God, that was a perfect segment, President Evil I mean. It never fails to frustrate me how borderline conservative some of Obama's policies have been. I always approve of when Jon and co. point them out. And a double plus for illustrating how even in light of what Obama actually does to appease them, the conservatives still try to paint him as this aggressive liberal.

"Who better to be armed than angry late people in confined spaces."

"Even though Obama has not taken your guns...in hindsight, there is no doubt...that he has?"

"So, it appears that Barack Obama has failed to keep many of the campaign promises that his opponents made for him."

GOLD.

I can't believe no one mentioned Jon's dinosaur impression. Did that remind anyone else of Colbert doing with Jon years ago?

Edited by happybumblebee1, Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:00 PM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

It made me think of Colin Mochrie and his many wonderful dinosaur moments on Whose Line Is It Anyway.

God, I miss that show.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Oh God, yes. That is true Alexandria Bay. I definitely remember Colin doing that now. I agree, such a terrific show!

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

Speaking of Larry, he has a new gig that I hope won't interfere with his appearing on TDS.

Holy cats, a comedy about an NPR show starring Larry Wilmore? I could not be more the target audience for that show. Hope the pilot gets picked up, though it sounds too smart for FOX.

Edited to add, finally got the full list of this week's guests:
2/27: Neil DeGrasse Tyson (author – promoting book “Space Chronicles”)
2/28: Stephen Merchant (actor & comedian – promoting HBO series “Life’s Too Short”)
2/29: Masha Gessen (author – promoting book “The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin”)
3/1: M. Cathleen Kaveny (John P. Murphy Foundation Professor of Law and Professor of Theology at Notre Dame)

Edited by loudfan, Feb 27, 2012 @ 2:12 PM.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

One of Romney's ads in Michigan is dragging in poor Hilary Clinton, since apparently Rick Santorum actually VOTED THE SAME AS HER ON SOMETHING!! And of course, a completely unflattering pic of Hilary to go with it. That'll teach her to be...a woman? a Democrat? a public servant? Bill's wife? Just saying her name is a total dog whistle.

And Romney is going to start fixing the deficit by eliminating Obamacare...which has had approximately zero effect on the current deficit.

Whereas Romney, according to Frothy Mixture, is evil incarnate because Romneycare was the blueprint for, Duh-duh-DUH, Obamacare. And Frothy's ads consist of a crapload of white people waving flags...seriously, the man can't even pretend to be inclusive.

You could do an entire TDS on stupid fearmongering campaign ads.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

There's some really fun Romney & Santorum stuff that I hope makes it onto tonight's show. Mittens was particularly tone deaf this weekend: the empty Ford Field rally, REPEATING the stupid trees are the right height line, Ann's two Cadillacs, his friendships with NASCAR owners, etc. And then there's Santorum's "JFK's speech makes me wanna throw up" and "college is for elite snobs." Plus Neil DeGrasse Tyson... looking forward to it!!!

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

I just discovered a wonderful way to brighten my evening and waste time: watch old clips.

Man, I've just busted a lung. Here's a great one a year ago. I died laughing: http://www.thedailys...-biggest-newser

pyralis

pyralis

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

"Your earth is spinning the wrong way", Just a brilliant segment.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Best. Guest. Appearance. Ever.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

Oh my God, but Neil deGrasse Tyson made me wanna fly to the moon with his inspiring talk. That may have been my favourite NdGT interview yet, and they didn't even talk about Larry and Linsanity from a couple of weeks ago. And I loved his little shot at Jon about his earth spinning the wrong way.

Looked as if Jon got in 90 percent of loudfan's Romney and Santorum wishlist tonight - minus the empty Ford Field space, although Stephen covered that part on TCR. And Jessica really hit it out of the park by explaing the white girl in the picture was her before college. Wished Jon had brought up Santorum's own college background so that he could really drive home what an asshat he really is.

And I'd like to know who owns those Twitter accounts with the different Pope names. I thought @Pope2YouVatican was a joke title TDS came up until I heard it was the official Vatican Twitter account. I completely double taked over that.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

NdGT totally got me worked up for the space program. I'm all "You mean we only have to double NASA's budget? To do all that? What if we triple it? Is there a petition I can sign? A movement I can join?" I would like to do whatever he wants us to do to NASA's budget and make NdGT the Secretary of Education. NOW! What are we waiting for?

Loving Jessica, too. Drop out of school and you can be on TV!

Mitt is cracking me up. He can't help himself, no matter how hard he tries, he's just can't do it. The most authentic thing about him is his inability to fake authenticity. If he tried to say "yadda, yadda, yadda" it would come out "yachta, yachta, yachta." I'm waiting for someone to ask him which states have trees that are the wrong height.

Santorum, on the other hand, has turned the corner from "guy I strongly disagree with" to "evil maniac who needs to be stopped." The Republicans really have outdone themselves this year. They keep topping themselves in the crazy department. Jon hasn't said a word about FOX news in quite a while, and you know it's not because they've suddenly become saner. It's just that the candidates themselves have totally outdone any crazy their supporters can manufacture. I hope it's the last desperate gasp of a dying party, but I worry that we as a nation really are this stupid.

I wonder who has the Twitter account for "PopeBenedictXVI"

Edited by possibilities, Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:46 AM.

Mary Jane Fields

Mary Jane Fields

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:04 AM

Jon did Pope Benedict's voice wrong. If you've ever heard the Pope speak, damned if he doesn't sound just like Dieter from Sprockets. I'd seriously consider converting to Catholicism if the Pope said, "The Mass is ended, go in peace. And don't touch my monkey."

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

The Sky-ance line by Jessica is still amusing me. Love her.

Neil is just a-dorkable and I agree 100% with him. I'll still vote for Obama in November but I really disagreed with the crippling of the space program.

I hope it's the last desperate gasp of a dying party, but I worry that we as a nation really are this stupid.

Someone I know compared the Santorum voters to Nader supporters ( I know I'm walking shaky ground here, no offense meant) like they know it's not realistic to vote for him but it just feels good to vote for someone who's willing to go full bore out instead of a centrist. So I think that makes sense.

Edited by monty9, Feb 28, 2012 @ 7:54 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Echoing the love for NdGT. He was mesmerizing and inspiring.

Has anyone ever pointed out before that TDS' globe is rotating the wrong way?

As for Santorum... I just don't know. He's laughable and scary and perplexing. Also, I don't watch Fox, but what are they saying about these WTF things he's saying?

TexasTallGal

TexasTallGal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

Mitt is cracking me up. He can't help himself, no matter how hard he tries, he's just can't do it. The most authentic thing about him is his inability to fake authenticity. If he tried to say "yadda, yadda, yadda" it would come out "yachta, yachta, yachta." I'm waiting for someone to ask him which states have trees that are the wrong height.

It's called Romneying.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Can I just marry that episode? Honestly, the show is always so brilliant but to have an episode in its totality, with a deliciously wonderful guest, made it start to finish perfect.

"Some of my friends are NASCAR team owners."

"Oh, look who's educating his children. Someone's too good for not knowing things."

"Literature. Philosophy. Something called Skience."
I really want to know who wrote that joke because it's very much an interwebs thing I've heard.

But the whole Pope sketch was my favorite because just seeing Jon be playful and cute as a befuddled increasingly angry old Pope is adorable beyond words.

"Why is the bird so angry?"
"Already taken?"
To God: "Are you watching this?"
"Hashtag nothingcomestomind"

"In the beginning of your show, your earth is spinning in the wrong direction. I just had to get that off my chest."

ETA: I like this line as illustrative of Santorum's ridiculous snob comment. "Did you hear who Muffy wants to invite to the countryclub? All the Mexicans. What a snob."

Edited by happybumblebee1, Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:22 AM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

That snob comment had a ring of uppity n to me. I can't believe people would cheer that. People should want their kids to have access to education. Crazy.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

NdGT totally got me worked up for the space program. I'm all "You mean we only have to double NASA's budget? To do all that? What if we triple it? Is there a petition I can sign? A movement I can join?" I would like to do whatever he wants us to do to NASA's budget and make NdGT the Secretary of Education. NOW! What are we waiting for?

Oh, possibilities (love your name!) - I am so glad that people can be inspired by him! This reminded me of how exciting it was growing up in that era of Possibilities. We had so much hope and enthusiasm for "the future", as NdGT pointed out - it was a really great time to be young. I wish the new generation could at least feel some of the enthusiasm, if not the hope, for tomorrow. Walt f'ing Disney, indeed!

Neil deGrasse Tyson 2012! Neil deGrasse Tyson 2012!

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

"Why cannot this bird learn to forgive?"

Arenal

Arenal

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson, please be my friend.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

We had so much hope and enthusiasm for "the future", as NdGT pointed out - it was a really great time to be young. I wish the new generation could at least feel some of the enthusiasm, if not the hope, for tomorrow. Walt f'ing Disney, indeed!

We don't even have Star Trek anymore, sigh.

Hooper

Hooper

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

The whole Pope/Twitter segment was fabulous, but the Angry Birds befuddlement brought me closer to peeing my pants than I've been in a very long time.

Obviously I'm in a lot of good company with my NdGT-interview love. A great follow up to the rant on the snobbery of encouraging people to educate themselves, particularly in the area of skyance. I was particularly amused at how Jon just leaned back in his chair and let the good astrophysicist preach it. I'll bet Jon was thinking "Wow, easiest interview ever." And I'm glad that's the approach Jon took. I luv Stephen, but I don't think he, or his character, would have been able to just drop the leash and let the big dog run the way Jon did.

Also, FINALLY the incorrectly rotating elephant in the room has been addressed.

cerealboxkiller

cerealboxkiller

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. He used to host NovaScienceNow, and he's always great when he's a guest on Bill Maher's show (although Bill is always a dick to him, always introducing him as a "black scientist").

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

Fantastic line and one I wished I'd remembered to quote before.