The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Please log in to reply

51618 replies to this topic

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:12 PM

Mo was hosting Smoking Gun TV on the Court TV channel, pulpbomb. I've seen about 20 seconds of it and it seemed like a horrible TDSw/JS knockoff. Sort of harkening back to the Kilborn days when the correspondents just made fun of the interviewees. I'm not sure if they're still making new shows or not.

Edited by MaryWebGirl, Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:12 PM.

Bosco

Bosco

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 10:36 PM

Smoking Gun online is still doing webcasts with Mo.

Hexele

Hexele

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

Mo also shows up on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR from time to time.

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

Just chiming in that Brian Unger (my favorite former correspondent, rowrr) did a funny piece on 'candlerium' for NPR. He interviewed people who spend more on candles per month than their Porsche payments. It was really funny. Almost makes up for him being on Extra.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:45 PM

I also remember Jon phasing out some of Craig's show bits like 5 Questions. I think he started with 5, and made his way down to 1, before getting rid of it all together.

I do remember the last person who ever got a question was Gillian Anderson with whom Jon Stewart had just done the movie Playing By Heart. The last question was: "Favorite Type of Alien Medical Procedure: Neck implant or anal probe?"

That takes me back to my years of X-Files fandom...

Frank Black's too scary.

eirefaerie, are you missing Millennium? ;)

I should say my enjoyment of Back in Black has definitely increased the more I've seen it. I've gotten used to Lewis Black's angry persona, and enjoy the social commentary in it. He's on target more often than not.

Rob Corddry should be Secretary of Homeland Security.

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 7:26 PM

Rob Corddry should be Secretary of Homeland Security.

He'll probably have to blow a security guard to get it, though.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:44 PM

Rob's Chrismukkah gift at the office party was probably a set of knee pads. And a pack of breath mints.

fryj

fryj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:23 PM

I'm having TDS withdrawl issues. I need a new TDS show! I need new Jon Stewart! Monday is too damn far away. This whole "holiday break" thing totally sucks. Re-runs aren't enough. I need a fix and I need it now.
*whimper*
*whine*
*mope*

epogurl

epogurl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:21 PM

I had a scary dream the other night. I dreamt I was watching TDS and at the end Jon said something like "It's been fun" and the words "series finale" were at the bottom of the screen during the credits. I was freaking out and called a bunch of people to see if I was hallucinating or something but no one was home.

It was nice waking up and realizing it was all in my head.

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:04 PM

epogurl, I hope your dreams aren't psychic in any way. How will I be informed once TDS goes off the air? As it is, it took me two days to learn about the earthquake in Iran, as I was avoiding tv all together, and hadn't picked up the paper.

Frank Black's too scary.

eirefaerie, are you missing Millennium? ;)

Morning Angel, so I am. Sigh. It's entirely possible, of course, that I was intoxicated while posting again.

Or maybe Lewis Black is part of a fringe conspiracy group, racing against the calendar to stop the world from ending when the Millenium comes!

Or maybe not.

Edited by eirefaerie, Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:05 PM.

JoyWalker

JoyWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:43 PM

Great. Now I can't shake the image of Frank and Lewis Black, TV series brothers, out saving the world from evil, each in their own very special way....

atomic cherub

atomic cherub

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:15 PM

When I saw the name Frank Black I actually immediately thought of The Pixies, but I'm a music geek. There's just something weirdly funny in the idea of a man who used to be known as Black Francis as a press secretary.
Topic? I miss the Daily Show.

TrueMyth

TrueMyth

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:00 PM

Now I can't shake the image of Frank and Lewis Black, TV series brothers, out saving the world from evil, each in their own very special way....

Don't forget their TV sister, the lovely and kick-ass Claudia Black of Farscape. What a fun team that would be.

Is it wrong that I missed the show so much, I sat down and watched last night's airing even though I saw it on the first airing just a few weeks ago? No? I didn't think so.

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:30 AM

I understand why TDS airs their repeats so close to the original airdate, but I'd love for them to re-air classic episodes that we haven't seen in a while. You know, old Even Stev/phens and shows featuring ex-correspondents.

But then, I also find reading old issues of Time enjoyable, so there you go there.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:50 AM

I understand why TDS airs their repeats so close to the original airdate, but I'd love for them to re-air classic episodes that we haven't seen in a while. You know, old Even Stev/phens and shows featuring ex-correspondents.

But then, I also find reading old issues of Time enjoyable, so there you go there.

I also love reading old magazines so if it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

I got an extended cable package this year so I just discovered TDS. I would be oh-so-thrilled to see classic episodes!

VolWing

VolWing

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:02 AM

All The Fake News That's Fit To Print

Augie Grant, a professor in USC’s (me-that's South Carolina, not Southern Cal) School of Journalism and Mass Communications, commissioned 17 of his students in a mass media research course to study whether college students can learn as much from watching a comedy news report like “The Daily Show” as they can from network news broadcasts.

Their finding? Students who watch “The Daily Show” generally answered more questions correctly on a current events quiz than those students who did not watch the show or got their news from other sources.

Edited by VolWing, Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:03 AM.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:16 AM

Heh. I can totally understand why that would be true, since we remember things better if our interest is engaged. Jon would probably be displeased to hear it, though. Yes, dear, you really ARE a news show.

And by the way, happy new year to Jon and the Jews. And that one guy with a beard.

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:51 PM

Go, USC! (My grandfather taught there - USC has the dubious distinction of hiring professors who refuse to publish. Ever.)

And I'll buy that. People who care enough about the news/world events to mock it care enough to remember it.

Edited by eirefaerie, Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:35 PM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

My 66 year-old mother, who has trouble finding Bravo on her cable system because 'it's such a high channel' is becomming a Daily Show viewer! I sent her the link to the April NY Times profile of Jon (actually I sent her the text since her ancient computer doesn't link to websites) and she read the piece on him in Newsweek this weekend. She asked me what channel Comedy Central is on her system (like I have them memorized). A quick trip to Cablevision's website gave me my answer & I informed her that she can watch the rerun the next day at 7pm (11 is too late for her to be conscious during the broadcast).

This is huge, people. I've only mentioned Jon to her a few times, so it's his merits that have won her over. If he's getting the senior citizen market now, there's no stopping him. Next stop, special correspondent for 60 Minutes. Maybe Lewis Black can take Andy Rooney's job when he kicks/retires.

JoyWalker

JoyWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:39 PM

Excellent, iMissEthan! Soon, Jon will be able to take over the world!

fryj

fryj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:18 PM

Is the Comedy Central website seriously telling me that TDS is a re-run *again* tonight? How can this be? Please please please tell me that there are new episodes this week!

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:40 PM

fryj, I ran over here after I read the same thing on TVGuide.com. I've been looking forward to new episodes now for weeks, and I can't wait another one. Get your ass back in the studio, Jon!

JustJoshin

JustJoshin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:04 PM

According to this site, the show is a rerun tonight but new for the rest of the week.

dzdzsty

dzdzsty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:51 AM

Well, I for one am glad it was a rerun, since my cable went out during its first run. So I finally got to see "it rhymes in Arabic, Jon." Heee!

And I liked Julia Stiles more than I thought I would. Hmm.

fryj

fryj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:44 AM

Thanks for the link, JustJoshin!

Today, the Comedy Central website says that Tom Brokaw will be the guest but their schedule still says that it is the Julia Stiles repeat tonight.

Regardless, it looks like new eps for the rest of the week and that makes me feel better. Much better. Perhaps even full of joy and anticipation, but it is still early in the morning and maybe I'm just hungry.

KaterJ

KaterJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

I never understand the use of "fake news" and "fake newsman" to describe TDS and Jon. I mean, the news events are real -- and Jon is really telling us about them. Obviously they're not a newsgathering organization so I understand that distinction. But it's not fake just because it's presented satirically! The USC study validates this even further -- if people are getting accurate information about current events from the show, it ain't fake news. Fake seems like the wrong adjective to me.

fryj

fryj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:17 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I got my TV Guide for next week, and Jon Stewart is on the front cover, with Mike Bullard: Stewart vs. Bullard. Inside, the article talks about how TDS is kicking Mike Bullard's ass in the ratings, and the conflict Mike Bullard had with CTV (who airs TDS) and how he moved to Global, and all that crap. There's another photo of Jon Stewart with the article. A nice addition to my recent collection: EW, Newsweek and now TV Guide. He's really getting around right now.

JoyWalker

JoyWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:10 PM

KaterJ, good point about TDS not being "fake." I agree -- it's certainly the only TV news I consume.

But I understand why they choose to call themselves fake -- this way, no one can challenge them for not living up to journalistic standards of objectivity or not covering all the important stories of the day or not treating news with the seriousness it deserves. If anyone does make those accusations, they can simply say that they never claimed to be anything other than "faux" news.

Stupid as it sounds to say it, they can present the news better as a "fake" news organization than they can as a real one. And that's why I stopped being a journalism major....

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:06 PM

Who's Mike Bullard?

fryj

fryj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:24 PM

This is Mike Bullard.

Totally boring show. Not even remotely the same kind of show as TDS. A Canadian version of Leno or Letterman.