Whose Line Is It Anyway?

• Please log in to reply

1243 replies to this topic

Nobody's

Nobody's

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

Oh. My. GOD.

The episode where Richard Simmons came to visit was the funniest shit I've seen, ever. I was literally in physical pain because of all the laughing I did when they were playing props with Richard and Wayne. The image of Colin riding Richard is forever burned into my head. I felt kinda bad that everybody were laughing at him so much, though.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

I think I'm the only one, but I found the Richard Simmons guest spot on Whose Line far too squicky for my tastes.

This week ABC Family is running all of the Whose Line episodes with special guest stars that participated in the skits. For anyone who's curious, the Robin Williams guest spot will be on Monday, 10:30 PM EST/9:30 PM CST. I remember that episode being hilarious and am anxious to see it again.

Any word on when/if this show is returning to ABC's schedule? I don't think that any of their new sitcoms have flopped, so there's no hole in their schedule to fill with a mid-season injection of Whose Line.

Kelzen

Kelzen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 4:36 PM

Yeah, the Robin Williams episode was pretty funny, even though I find him a bit skeevy. He really seemed to appreciate the guys' humor and added to it well, so it was enjoyable.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 6:06 PM

Any word on when/if this show is returning to ABC's schedule?

I think it was offically cancelled.

Lucyfire24

Lucyfire24

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 8:39 PM

Ryan and Colin are my ultimate threesome! I love those two, they have the greatest chemistry, and just enough HoYay! to make you wonder...

(yes I know they're both married with children-Ryan has 3 and Colin has 1-not the point)

coleoptera

coleoptera

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

for some reason I've had Colin's line "I'm BOSLEY!" stuck in my head all morning.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 7:39 AM

They repeated Richard Simmons' visit. Every game he was in was just nine kinds of wrong. I get the feeling that he went in with the mindset of "I've got to break them before they break me." Leading to insane amounts of laughter. Great. Episode.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 9:55 AM

Oh, Colin's "I'm Bosley!" had me laughing so hard! As did Ryan's Angel. So funny!

Arabella

Arabella

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

I don't know if they're local or not, but we have commercials for a place called Bosley Medical (I think they do hair replacement), and every time one of their commercials comes on, no matter where in the house I am, I holler, "I'm BOSLEY!" The last time I did that (just the other day, in fact), my husband looked at me as though he was seriously thinking about having me locked up forever and asked why I was yelling strange things for no apparent reason. That very night the Bosley ep aired and my husband saw it for the first time. I bellowed "I'm BOSLEY!" right along with Colin; afterwards, my husband nodded and said, "Okay, as long as there's a good reason."

Re the Richard Simmons ep, I get a bigger kick out of the guys' reactions to him than of Simmons himself. Wayne was great and I found Colin particularly hilarious. Richard Simmons is too over the top for me and I can only take a little bit of him, which is the same way I feel about Robin Williams.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 4:28 PM

I agree that everyone's reactions to Richard Simmons was far funnier than anything Simmons was doing.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 5:58 PM

Yesterday was the first time I had seen the Richard Simmons episode. I agree that the guys' reactions were so much better than anything he did. (But often I think the funniest things are someone's reactions to the funny lines, like Drew cracking up at something someone else said/did.)

Colin and Wayne were really good sports. I mean, Wayne even flirted with him ("How's it goin', baby?" And Richard's funniest moment: when he answered in a "normal man" voice.) Granted, Wayne was kind of being patronizing with his flirting and certainly didn't mean it, but.... And Colin didn't seem to have a problem with anything he did, even pretended to smoke a cigarette after the "jetskiing." But Ryan was a little nasty. He refused to participate in their disco singing, instead spinning the disco ball and whatever else. He did something else to avoid Richard that I can't remember but struck me as weird. I mean, I don't blame him for being put off by Richard, but it was still strange. And Greg had almost no contact with him.

I can't believe that after the first two games involved Richard that none of the cast members were expecting him to come walking out at any time.

(I agree with thinking "I'm Bosley!" was hilarious. I haven't gotten that stuck in my head, yet, but I do occasionally yell "Doo doo doo doo! I have no hair!" for no apparent reason.)

Edited by nm317, Jan 23, 2004 @ 6:00 PM.

Mine All Mine

Mine All Mine

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

I watched most of the guest star episodes on ABC Family last week. I thought the Robin Williams episode was hilarious, even though he is way too hyper for me. I thought Whoopi was pretty boring in the first one they showed with her (sorry - can't remember many particulars, but I think pirates were involved somehow).

I liked the Florence Henderson episode, but I thought she was a little strange during the game where Colin did Ryan's hands and Ryan was Jan Brady. She seemed to enjoy stuffing meatloaf in Ryan's mouth just a little too much - and seemed a wee bit too bitter about the Brady Bunch for my taste. I don't know. Maybe it was my imagination, but that's the vibe I got.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Kathy Greenwood is just not funny. I can't believe they kept having her on. Weren't there any other female comedians willing to be on the show? Anyone they had on would be funnier than her. It's not humanly possible to be less funny than her. I'm funnier than her. My cat is funnier than her. Ok, ending the rant before the joke goes too far and I prove that I'm less funny than Kathy Greenwood. (Although it might be too late for that)

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 12:28 AM

Just popping in to say that nothing makes me laugh harder than when audience members move Colin & Ryan around or when they provide the sounds effects for them. No matter what, I cry from laughing so hard.

Arabella

Arabella

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 3:18 PM

"I'll make a sound like an elephant."

"QUACK, QUACK, QUACK!"

kgoklahoma

kgoklahoma

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 9:21 AM

Everybody missed the funniest two minutes of television last night -
3-headed Broadway Star with Wayne, Ryan and David Hasselhoff. David had trouble with the whole concept of only singing one word. I almost choked in my chair, I was laughing so hard.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 9:59 PM

That was really funny. It looked like Ryan and Wayne were shooting Hasselhoff death glares every time. But I liked it when Drew's making fun of him and Ryan reminds him that Drew had a lot of trouble with the game early on, too. I also though Ryan and Colin singing "Ben" together was adorable. Then again, I just find the two of them adorable. But the rats were EWWWWWW.

I really liked one last week or so when they did the Worst. Irish Drinking Song. Ever. where Drew just messes up horribly and Ryan rhymes in gibberish until they are all laughing so hard none of them can do anything. Watching them laugh makes me laugh.

Arabella

Arabella

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 3:59 PM

"I'm BOSLEY!" Hee.

statichaos

statichaos

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 8:09 PM

WLiiA is the funniest show I've seen, British or American version. Favorite moments from U.S., in no particular order.

Wayne as an entire gospel choir singing about a toaster. Wayne and Josie Lawrence in the most dead-on "Gilbert and Sullivan" I've seen. Colin in "Breaking News" not realizing that he's reporting on himself. Robin Williams. Any "Sound Effects" that didn't involve the audience.

Forget it...the list would be too long.

However,as this is "Television Without Pity", there's a few things that I saw that bothered me, especially in the last couple of seasons:

Why TF was the audience involved in every other game? I can understand when it's an impromptu thing (Ryan going out into the audience to round up the "Bald Men Gang"), but come ON. And I HATE (tm Shack "Audience Sound Effects" with a passion that burns in my heart like the darkest fires of Hell itself. These people are not trained professionals. If you're bringing them up there just to get some laughs from their incompetence, then it strikes me as mildly cruel.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I didn't like it when they laughed in the middle of the sketches. Drew, stay behind the desk like a good little corporate puppet and enjoy your extra paycheck. Leave it to the professionals. I've seen it mentioned that they seemed to be enjoying themselves. It looked to me like they were just getting sloppy.

The Pez

The Pez

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

I'm a bad person if I want to kill Wayne everytime he sings, which is ever. single. episode. God he is so freakin' annoying

statichaos

statichaos

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 8:46 PM

I'm a bad person if I want to kill Wayne everytime he sings, which is ever. single. episode. God he is so freakin' annoying

Naw, you're just a person with an opinion that differs from my own. That's what I love about these forums.

Now, how is it that Wayne Brady can win a daytime Emmy for "The Wayne Brady Show" and a "regular" Emmy for best comedy/variety perfomer in the same year...and then have both of these shows cancelled immediately thereafter? Shows once again the TPTB will either kill off a show by reshuffling it in the schedule constantly (WLiiA) or not give it time to find an audience (The Wayne Brady Show).

Morons.

The Pez

The Pez

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 8:47 PM

Tell me why you like Wayne and his ten watt teeth statichaos

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 8:56 PM

Why TF was the audience involved in every other game? I can understand when it's an impromptu thing (Ryan going out into the audience to round up the "Bald Men Gang"), but come ON. And I HATE (tm Shack "Audience Sound Effects" with a passion that burns in my heart like the darkest fires of Hell itself. These people are not trained professionals. If you're bringing them up there just to get some laughs from their incompetence, then it strikes me as mildly cruel.

I totally agree. These are my least favorites of the skits that they do. Sound Effects was one of the best games ever when just Ryan and Colin did it. Ryan made the best, most perfect noises for Colin, and it was always hilarious. The audience members don't know what they are doing at all. I saw one episode where one lady that was chosen did NOT want to go up there, but Drew made her anyway. And she didn't utter a word into her microphone the entire time.

It seems like in the most recent episodes, they bring up audience members for dumb reasons. What is the point for bringing up an audience member for the Three Headed Broadway Star game? They aren't even singing to that person, and the person just usually ends up looking stupid in the stool.

I like Wayne and think that he's very talented vocally and with impressions, but at times the singing is just too much. It is always worked into every episode. And I HATE it when Chip sings with Wayne. Chip is not as good of a singer, and has to make the performance all "goofy" instead of fun.

Edited by jcpdiesel21, Apr 7, 2004 @ 8:58 PM.

Mine All Mine

Mine All Mine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 7:53 AM

ITA also. Especially when it's a couple of old ladies who are innocently sitting there, thinking they were going to see a taping of "What's My Line" or something getting dragged up there. Not funny.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 8:46 AM

I just read that The Drew Carey Show will probably air this summer (finishing out their last season they were under contract to get made, but not necessarily shown, I guess.) Does anyone else have hope that they'll air some new (as in "not yet aired" not actually recently taped) episodes of WLiiA along with it? There has to be stuff they haven't shown. And if they don't do that, they need to release the entire series on DVD. Including stuff that didn't make it to air.

dbrugg

dbrugg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 9:28 AM

ABC Family ran the Florence Henderson guest appearance in front of the Richard Simmons guest appearance. That's a great hour of laughs. Not a great hour of improv, since at least half the laughs are the cast busting up over something.

Wayne's on this week's Chappelle's Show on Comedy Central. You really need to check it out. Mr. Brady turns his image on its ass to great effect.

Airisu

Airisu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 9:43 AM

Sound Effects was one of the best games ever when just Ryan and Colin did it. Ryan made the best, most perfect noises for Colin, and it was always hilarious. The audience members don't know what they are doing at all.

I have to agree that it's ruined by unparticipative audience members sometimes, but every once in a long while it also leads to some great gems. There was one with Colin as a pregnant woman and Ryan as his husband going on a roller-coaster that was Ab.so.lute.ly Hilarious because of the weird sounds the two middle-aged women made. Ah laughed mah liver out.

Kelzen

Kelzen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

I like Wayne and think that he's very talented vocally and with impressions, but at times the singing is just too much. It is always worked into every episode.

Yeah, in the beginning I liked it a lot, because he's amazingly talented. But a lot of times, he seems to steal the show, whether he tries to or not. (I prefer Colin's lovely singing voice, heh.) My Wayne love has gone down drastically, because he kind of seems like a tool.

I do like Chip though, especially when Wayne and Chip sing together in Greatest Hits. They need to play that game more often, preferably in place of Song Styles. I really don't like that game at all.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 12:08 PM

I do like Chip though, especially when Wayne and Chip sing together in Greatest Hits. They need to play that game more often, preferably in place of Song Styles. I really don't like that game at all.

ITA. Greatest Hits is a lot more fun. I especially love the "Hey, Col!" "Yeah, Ry?"

Lucky Bishop

Lucky Bishop

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

Tell me why you like Wayne and his ten watt teeth

Watch this week's episode of Chappelle's Show on Comedy Central, in which Wayne Brady guest stars, and all will become clear. I've always really liked Wayne Brady, but now I officially love the hell out of the guy.

I'm going to be spending the rest of the day saying "Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a bitch?" now...

statichaos

statichaos

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 11:02 PM

Tell me why you like Wayne and his ten watt teeth statichaos

The ten watt teeth I'm neutral on. I find him to be an actor who started out on the show (in the last season of the British version) with some moderate improvisational talent, and who honestly improved as time went on.

As far as the singing goes, he has no equal in quick wit. Mike McShane had more power, Josie had a prettier voice, the rest were meh. Wayne was the most versatile and energetic of the singers. Come on. Which of the others could convincingly pull off both gangster rap and Gilbert and Sullivan? Who else could possibly convincingly play an entire...freaking...gospel...choir? Who else could convincingly keep up with Robin Williams' frenetic kineticism?

Wayne is brilliant, and deserves better than what he got from the networks and production companies.

Watch this week's episode of Chappelle's Show on Comedy Central, in which Wayne Brady guest stars, and all will become clear. I've always really liked Wayne Brady, but now I officially love the hell out of the guy.

I'm going to be spending the rest of the day saying "Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a bitch?" now...

ITA, Lucky Bishop. Funniest. Shit. Ever.

And to think that it was all based off of one joke that Chappelle told: "The reason that white people like Wayne Brady is that he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X". Shows the man has an excellent sense of humor about himself.