Saturday Night Live: More Cowbell!

• Please log in to reply

25798 replies to this topic

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

I would give just about anything for a Jan Hooks Best of. I don't know if most current SNL know or remember how brilliant she truly was in her run. I know it wouldn't be a huge seller, but still she deserves it.

Jan Hooks is definitely one of the most underrated SNL performers. She was so consistently funny.

Broadway Sizzle is a sketch I swear I've seen before from the late 80s-early 90s SNL. Though not with the performances. Bobby Moynihan's like one shot reactions are very enjoyable. But I hated this sketch overall.

Broadway Sizzle was actually the highlight of the night for me. Maybe it's because I love show tunes, but the "Pear Train" song that Kenan sang basically killed me. It was such a great, insane parody of "Wells Fargo Wagon." And Bill Hader's reply, "I could see the train, but not the pears. Work on the pears." really made me laugh. I also kind of loved "Dammit, Pam!"

Edited by Blue Castle, May 13, 2012 @ 6:08 PM.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Okay, the new girl (sorry for blanking on her name), has these crazy eyes 24/7 during sketches that are going to start bugging me in the long run. Even during the funktown sketch where she is basically just suppossed to look sexy she looks like a semi is coming straight for her. It's very distracting.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Why was Ana Gasteyer at the goodbyes but not in a sketch? Are any sketches missing from HULU?
For a Will Ferrel episode I was seriously underwhelmed. I kept waiting for a sketch to pop at me but nothing did.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

JanLevinsonScott,Ana was in a sketch, Marty and Bobbi Culp, the singing teachers at the LGBT prom.Maybe not on Hulu due to the copyright issues with the music?

Edited by prairiegal, May 13, 2012 @ 9:38 PM.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

The Digital Short was AWESOME (cock-sucking jokes not counting), but otherwise a pretty meh episode. I guess they couldn't get Darrell Hammond and that's why there was no "Celebrity Jeopardy".

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

My guess is that Mick will perform with the Foo Fighters first, then Arcade Fire.

Yep, so says Rolling Stone. My guess is that Jeff Beck will sit in with one (or both) of the bands when Mick performs with them.

I'm in a minority as I thought the ESPN Classic and 25th Anniversary sketches were both hilarious, probably my two favorites of the night. I also liked the cold opening, the commercial, the return of the Culps, the digital short, and WU, especially the "Get in the Cage" segment. I agree the Funkytown debate was a great idea that just didn't work, and Broadway Sizzle didn't really take off, either.

Was it was just me or did Will sound like he had a bit of a cold?

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

That's what I thought too.

*sigh* I watched the whole show and no Celebrity Jeopardy. *sigh* Oh well. At least they brought back George W Bush and the singing teachers sketch. And I loved the digital short. Damn there were a lot of celeb cameos!

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

I realized later that they didn't have Chris Parnell make an appearance in the 100th Digital Short, when Lazy Sunday was really the first Short to make the whole thing a phenomenon. I thought the Digital Short was great, watched it a few times to catch everything. I totally think the whole sucking our own cocks deal was making fun of the self-congratulatory Look At Us, We're Awesome! nature of anniversay specials/100th eps in general.

The ep as a whole - I found most of it funny, but again Will Ferrell seemed less like a host and more like a cast member, like when Fallon hosted. I'm wondering if that's a choice the writers/TPTB are making with alum hosts/hosts that work well with the cast (Jon Hamm, Josh Brolin). I would have loved a Celebrity Jeopardy, or the weird swinging Vermont professors, at least one more of the Will Ferrell classics. I don't know why, but Funkytown cracked me up. I know it wasn't the best sketch, but the premise just had me laughing. I also thought Taran looked hot for some reason. Normally I find him babyface cute but he looked really good in that 70's outfit and the facial expressions he was making.

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

I would give just about anything for a Jan Hooks Best of. I don't know if most current SNL watchers know or remember how brilliant she truly was in her run. I know it wouldn't be a huge seller, but still she deserves it. As I have said before, Kristin has never equaled Jan's greatness.

vb68, truer words were never spoken. Jan Hooks was one of the funniest ladies ever on TV, and I put her up there in the Carol Burnett/Lucille Ball category for talent, intuition and timing.

Edited by A Boston Gal, May 14, 2012 @ 9:53 AM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I thought Ferrell was funnier in this than he was on most of SNL this weekend.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I thought he blew his voice out doing the screaming sneeze thing for the taped piece. His voice sounded shot, not like he was stuffed up.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Okay, the new girl (sorry for blanking on her name), has these crazy eyes 24/7 during sketches that are going to start bugging me in the long run. Even during the funktown sketch where she is basically just suppossed to look sexy she looks like a semi is coming straight for her. It's very distracting.

I agree. I really don't find her funny, and the crazy eyes in every skit wears thin.

Why was Ana Gasteyer at the goodbyes but not in a sketch? Are any sketches missing from HULU?
For a Will Ferrel episode I was seriously underwhelmed. I kept waiting for a sketch to pop at me but nothing did.

She was in the in the Marty & Bobby skit but I assume there are copyright issues with the songs, which is why it's not on Hulu.

Umbrella Maker

Umbrella Maker

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I would give just about anything for a Jan Hooks Best of. I don't know if most current SNL watchers know or remember how brilliant she truly was in her run. I know it wouldn't be a huge seller, but still she deserves it. As I have said before, Kristin has never equaled Jan's greatness.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who thinks this. I think Jan Hooks is THE most underrated SNL cast member of all time. The only ones who really touch her in underratedness are Ana Gasteyer and Jane Curtin. But Jan Hooks could do it all. It's a shame that she has barely ever gotten her due.

Jan Hooks was one of the funniest ladies ever on TV, and I put her up there in the Carol Burnett/Lucille Ball category for talent, intuition and timing.

When I first read this, I thought you were a little nuts for saying it. However, I thought about it for a while and then I realized that you are right. She is pretty much in that category.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Outside of Gilda, I think Jan Hooks might be the best female cast member the show's ever had. She was amazingly versatile, had great comic timing and had terrific chemistry with the rest of the cast, bringing out the best in them. I think it took the show years to recover (in terms of finding a suitable replacement) after she left.

lafawndenise

lafawndenise

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Loved the Cold Open, 'In the Cage' , ESPN Classic, and the Culps. Funkytown Debate wasn't bad, but I was hoping to see the return of the 'Vermont Professor Lovers' sketch. Digital short had my smiling and laughing, but really missed Chris Parnell.

'That's high praise' has now become part of my vocabulary - will miss you Andy!

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:58 AM

I totally think the whole sucking our own cocks deal was making fun of the self-congratulatory Look At Us, We're Awesome! nature of anniversay specials/100th eps in general.

That makes sense, and it's also a bit of a callback to Like a Boss.

18matt

18matt

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

This was a very disappointing episode, since Will is an alum, and Maya's and Jimmy's episodes were so good. I had hoped for another sketch with the Culps, but besides just not being that funny, the LGBT prom was derivative; in the Reese Witherspoon episode, they performed at a gay wedding.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

My only issue with the Culp sketch is my fault alone:aside from Adele's "Rumor Has It", I knew not one of the songs the Culps were "adapting" for their number. I am too old.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

For the finale: is anybody hoping the J-Pop show pops up one last time? I'm thinking Mick Jagger drops by, cosplaying as Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece. The reason for that happening is so Keith Richards could make a surprise appearance as a Brook cosplayer. You'd have to admit, there wouldn't be much makeup involved there.

Edited by Lantern7, May 16, 2012 @ 6:13 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:00 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that may be a table for one you're sitting at on this one.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

I'm a bit late with this, but I thought the Will Ferrell episode was pretty good-- not the best, but above average for the season. Will seemed to have a cold, so maybe that accounts for the lower energy, but I enjoyed myself watching.

I also really appreciated that they pointed out (in the cold open) that Biden broke the marriage equality story first, and with more enthusiasm than Obama, yet Obama gets all the glory. So true!

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

The Digital Short was good for seeing past participants, but honestly I was grossed out by the "sucking my own dick" joke. I was trying to watch it with the idea that they're mocking the self-congratulatory nature of anniversary shows and other entertainment milestones, but it was too much for me.

It was a bit much, but I was surprised they didn't have Ferrell reprise his character from many years ago who was taking yoga so that he could ... ahem ...

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

They have been playing it coy saying nothing will be decided until the summer, but I still wonder if Kristin and Andy say "goodbye" on the air tonight like Jimmy Fallon or Phil Hartman. I suspect Jason will have to return in the fall to play Romney and Biden, so he probably wouldn't. I do think there should be some acknowledgement because it really does seem like the end of an era.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Y'know, I can't hear or see Romney speak without hearing & seeing Jason.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

I can't hear or see Romney speak without hearing & seeing Jason.

I always see the Guy Smiley puppet from The Daily Show.

But if Jason wants to leave, I don't believe he's the only person who can play Biden or Romney. There are lots of talented impressionists out there, they just need to hire someone, if that's the issue.

They've been adding a lot of new cast members lately, though, and might not want to replace everyone all at once.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

My only issue with the Culp sketch is my fault alone:aside from Adele's "Rumor Has It", I knew not one of the songs the Culps were "adapting" for their number. I am too old.

Heh, I'm really old as well and didn't recognize any of the songs, but still am glad I got my wish for the skit. Will and Ana's chemistry seemed to remain perfectly intact.

Count me in on the Jan Hooks love. She was one of the best players on the show. Her chemistry, especially with Phil, was just solid. I wonder if she scorned Lorne in some way, being the reason we've not had a "Best of..." from her.

I know that Wiig gets on a lot of nerves but I really like her work, on and off the show, but am hoping she's moving on to other things and that there will be a major cast/writing change-up come next season.

Edited by Fisher King, May 19, 2012 @ 3:15 PM.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Watched "The First Five Years" anthology show. Add to the list of "not appreciated/underrated" with Jan Hooks-the name Jane Curtin. She brought an elegance to the show that was needed among the Bully Boys Belushi and Ackroyd. While she didn't do a lot of impressions, she was solidly there in any character: Consumer Reporter Joan Face, Mrs Loopner, and Iris DeFlaminco were all standouts. And don't forget her 4 years at the Update desk:"Try these on for size, Connie Chung!"
Jane needs props along with Jan Hooks.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

I suspect Jason will have to return in the fall to play Romney and Biden, so he probably wouldn't.

Jason's contract is up just like Kristin and Andy's, so he doesn't "have" to do anything. Lorne might ask him to come back on an as-needed basis until after the elections, though.

Umbrella Maker

Umbrella Maker

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Jane needs props along with Jan Hooks.

Jane Curtin is a very close second to Hooks on my list of underrated SNL cast members. I'd throw Ana Gasteyer, Maya Rudolph, Kevin Nealon, and Chris Parnell on that list. I'm trying to think of any others who are underrated but I need to take some more time to think it through.

Edited by Umbrella Maker, May 19, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

Wow.
That was. . .great.