Saturday Night Live: More Cowbell!

• Please log in to reply

25812 replies to this topic

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

Why Eli?

He's the quarterback of the defending Superbowl champions, in recent years a couple of them have hosted(Tom Brady, Peyton Manning). I'm sure it also helps that the team Eli Manning plays for is the New York Giants.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:38 PM.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

I thought the funniest part of last night's show was the Game of Thrones video.

Yet for some reason, SNL didn't post the video on its video page. I was wondering what could be preventing SNL from posting that video.

Especially since they posted the HI-larious Garth and Kat bit. I hope that the only reason the Game of Thrones video isn't up is some copyright issue, and not because someone at NBC has actually made a judgment that Garth and Kat was one of the episode's highlights.

There was lots of nudity this week. Does the live audience get the full view, or are the pixellations just for effect and the cast is wearing clothes

In the actual Game of Thrones, every female under 40 is at least half-naked at all times. It's HBO. No idea if the SNL studio audidence (all presumably over 18) gets the pixilated version or not.

ETA: I'm guessing the Game of Thrones sketch isn't online due to the sex/nudity, even though it's pixilated. If you watch the whole SNL episode through Hulu, they've cut that sketch. Hulu's disclaimer: "Some sketches and musical performances may be omitted due to various restrictions."

Edited by MyAlias, Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

matchu

matchu

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Am I the only one who finds Abby Elliott completely unfunny? For me, she is nepotism at its finest.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

I hope that the only reason the Game of Thrones video isn't up is some copyright issue, and not because someone at NBC has actually made a judgment that Garth and Kat was one of the episode's highlights.

I'm pretty sure it's a copyright issue since they used actual footage from the HBO show in the skit. It's a shame because it was my favorite skit of the night.

I also loved the cold open for the first time in a long time. It was both political and funny instead of just being political.

There were some skits that didn't work for me but there were also some real highlights so I'm glad I watched. Brolin just kind of blended in but I'd rather have that than having a host who is stand out bad.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Loved Hader breaking during the "Californians" sketch and I swear that's the best work I've ever seen Keenan do in that one.

The musical guest sounds a lot like Sting.

I love Spielberg as a director from his movies and as a person from interviews so I really loved the digital short.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

I noticed the Cold Opening (which I agree was very funny) also isn't posted on the website. This probably has to do with them clearing the rights to use that song.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

The musical guest sounds a lot like Sting.

Looks like him, too (except with brown hair).

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a copyright issue since they used actual footage from the HBO show in the skit. It's a shame because it was my favorite skit of the night.

Gawker posted the video. They also have a legal team. Why is Gawker allowed to post the video but not NBC?

http://gawker.com/59...game-of-thrones

SteakHead

SteakHead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

I just dont understand how Garth and Kat can be considered watchable? Is there any kind of quality control on this show?

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

From various things Lorne Michaels has said about Kristen, I get the impression that he considers her a gift from god, and he wouldn't dream of telling her that one of her ideas is subpar.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

I'm not sure if Garth and Kat is more her idea than Fred's, but yeah that's basically the sense I get from Lorne, too. And heck it's probably not that far off with how he feels about Fred either, unfortunately.

I really enjoyed Gotye as well, especially the first song. Hat tip to El Guapo on that.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

This may be crazy, but I actually like Garth and kat. I don't know why but for some reason it really cracks me up.. I can't explain it.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

But doesn't fair use allow anybody to show brief excerpts, especially for use of parody (or news).

Does YouTube have to pay copyright fees to HBO every time somebody does a Game of Thrones mashup?

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

I just dont understand how Garth and Kat can be considered watchable? Is there any kind of quality control on this show?

Garth and Kath was funny the first time, because it was new and I thought Fred and Kristen making up the songs was funny. But now on the fourth, fifth, whatever time, it's not. I know exactly what's going to happen and it's just dumb at this point.
It's a shame the Slow Motion Hallway sketch didn't make it to Hulu. The signal crapped out and my Tivo'ed SNL was unwatchable from Piers Morgan on.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Something hit me as I was watching the episode: practically every wig Taran wears for a character looks better on him than his real hair.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Here's the slow-motion hallway sketch.

Lola82

Lola82

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Something hit me as I was watching the episode: practically every wig Taran wears for a character looks better on him than his real hair.

Especially the blond wig he had on for the hallway sketch. I think he wore that one before for something and it definitely works for him!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

I've never noticed that with Taran, but boy I have with Vanessa.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Vanessa really reminds me of Laraine Newman;except not as thin.Taran has dorky hair, but I'll overlook it since he's so talented.
I loved the cold opening, political AND funny. It's clearly obvious(if only to me) that Lorne is avoiding doing an Obama cold open,perhaps due to all the comments about how poor Fred's Obama is? I mean, it's an election year and we haven't seen Obama since the Cosby show skit, which was actually pretty funny, but that was due to the idea itself, not Fred. I suggest Jay do Obama in the fall premiere, with a farewell walk-on by Jason as Biden.
Loved that Jay was given things to do and he really did them well. I was delighted to see his principal character back, his comments to the students were funnier this time, now that I know the story behind him, it's really cool to see him again. Jay seems more confident on camera, and I noticed a HUGE hug between him and Josh Brolin in the good nights. Speaking of Josh, after seeing the promo for MIBIII, I wanted to see more of his Tommy Lee Jones-that was hysterical.
Also dug Slow Motion Hallway and The Californians.Love to watch Hader almost lose it. He's so cute.
Oh, and Garth and Kat? Thanks for appearing, my dogs needed to go outside.

Edited by prairiegal, Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:38 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Garth and Kat? Thanks for appearing, my dogs needed to go outside.

I know what you mean. My dishwasher needed cleaning out.

Lorne has given Romney an open invitation to appear on the show. If I were a betting man, I would guess he does before the season is over.

Edited by vb68, Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:16 PM.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

How about Alec Baldwin hosting that one? Romney and Baldwin on the same show. Somebody's head will explode.

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Here's the slow-motion hallway sketch.

Thank you! That was funny.

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Garth and Kat? Thanks for appearing, my dogs needed to go outside.

I know what you mean. My dishwasher needed cleaning out.

Yeah, I brushed my teeth and finished doing the dishes, so thanks Garth and Kat for helping me get to sleep a little earlier.

As a (non-blond) Californian, I really loved the Californian bit, and trust me, we all do know the best way to get to Marina Del Rey (the directions they gave went right past my house!) and we do indeed say "the" before all the freeway numbers. I take Venice to the 10 to get to work, and the 405 to the 101 to get to my folks. I don't remember if they did this, but we also express distance in terms of minutes instead of miles ("it's 20 minutes to Van Nuys")

Also liked the slo-mo hallway, and Andy's "f--- em" when he left his wife and kids to go with EAT, since Spielberg has noted he's always had regrets about having Richard Dreyfuss do that in Close Encounters.

vb, yeah Gotye was pretty good, and the parody of his video was pretty funny too.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Garth and Kath was funny the first time, because it was new and I thought Fred and Kristen making up the songs was funny. But now on the fourth, fifth, whatever time, it's not. I know exactly what's going to happen and it's just dumb at this point.

Maybe that's why I like them. Only in the past several months or year have I started watching the show again, so I haven't seen them over and over. In fact, this might be the first time. I like seeing Fred do ridiculous lyrics and weird singing styles while Kristin tries to copy him simultaneously, and doing it pretty well.

Peace_47

Peace_47

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the Slow Motion Hallway sketch, vb68. That was definitely my favorite of the night. Completely original and funny: how often does that happen? Loved Taran pounding the locker and it very slowly opening, as well as seeing Keenan as the Goth kid and Abby as the band geek. And for some reason, the continued citation of "Science!" as the hoped-for explanation really cracked me up.

I'm not normally a fan of Laser Cats, but I had to respect the coup of getting Spielberg. The movie references were very funny - EAT - heh.

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

Yeah, I laughed a lot at the first Garth and Kat sketch and then not so much at any of the rest because the joke is one-note and obvious (maybe it would work better with slightly different musical stylings each time, probably not really). Maybe it's just because it was "fresher" then, but I still think the first sketch seemed to have a slightly more entertaining feel to it--like the songs seemed *this* close to actually being a real song and now it just seems so exaggeratedly ridiculous.

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

Thanks to those who posted the links to the "missing sketches." I watch on NBC.com so I can face through painful (to me) Wiig sketches. The slow-motion hallway sketch was really good. I'm glad I saw it.

I must say that the first time I saw Jay's principal character, I knew he had to be based on a real Chesapeake principal. I'm from the area, and I've worked for principals so like him.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:44 AM

I must say that the first time I saw Jay's principal character, I knew he had to be based on a real Chesapeake principal. I'm from the area, and I've worked for principals so like him.

What a coincidence! I'm a local as well. That's why it both confused and amused me that he uses the name of a Norfolk high school as the school in the sketch.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

Vanessa really reminds me of Laraine Newman

That must be why I like her so much.

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

vb68 I think Booker T was used because it sounds way more "urban" than Indian River HS. I imagined the Ramada being at Town Center in Va Beach--PF Changs and Cheesecake Factory.