Saturday Night Live: More Cowbell!

• Please log in to reply

25832 replies to this topic

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 9:49 AM

Does anyone think that Demi was supposed to play the Cameron Diaz role in the Cougars sketch then pulled out at the last minute so to speak.

My guess is that Cameron was always supposed to do the skit as part of plugging her and Ashton's new movie.

My favorite skit was the opening (the Cspan one).

Countbeans

Countbeans

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 10:19 AM

My knowledge of classic rock sucks...who actually sings 'Amy'?

Pure Prairie League (pre-Vince Gill as lead singer era). Yep, I'm an oldster! I watched the original SNL when it was originally broadcast.

vanityproject

vanityproject

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 10:21 AM

My knowledge of classic rock sucks...who actually sings 'Amy'?

That's the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Just when this ep lagged a little bit, they'd come back with something unexpected and awesome. Death by Chocolate was the MacGruber Sorbet!

Wiig is phenomenal. As mentioned upthread, the fact that she can just sit there, make funny faces and get laughs is awesome.

Paralyzed Stripper... so wrong. But so hilarious.

There are some hosts that inspire the writers and actively participate in coming up with stuff to do on the show. And then there are the hosts that are dropped into sketches as themselves or aren't the featured performer in a sketch because they have zero range and can't act. This week's host is clearly in the second group, even after having hosted twice before.

The best thing about that "Falconer" reference ("Please tell Lorne!") is that I've heard that WF isn't a huge fan.

YuppieLawyer

YuppieLawyer

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 10:27 AM

"'Pedophile'? 'Pedophile'? That's a pretty big word for a 10-year-old." was probably the best line of the night.

Heh. Too bad the joke's about 40 years old by this point.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I learned it and told it as "Presumptuous? Presumptuous?" instead of "Pedophile? Pedophile?," and I like it better that way, too, but it's actually a little dirtier that way, I think--maybe too dirty for SNL, even? I don't know where the lines are anymore.

I have been fairly meh on new girl up until this point, but she won me over this week. Her voice in the Cougar sketch was absolutely perfect and that paralyzed stripper sketch was awesome. That's the thing about the post-Update sketches. To me, they are almost always the best or the worst of the show because that's when they really take some chances. I'm perfectly happy to sit through some flops in that time segment to make sure that they're willing to take the chances on some of the stuff that ends up being brilliant.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

vanityproject, good analysis of the hosts. I have nothing against AK, seems like a good guy, just not a whole lot of range there.Compare him to someone like Alec Baldwin, and, well..no comparison.
I love Kristen Wiig more every week-her JamieLee yogurt sketch made me LOL, something I almost never do. The look on her face! Let's just say I'll never be able to watch that commercial in the same way again.
New Girl Casey is a great addition, IMO.

And "Amy" is Pure Prairie League..I had the 45, as I'm an oldster, too.

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

Wiig's joke about "blow joy" was one of the best of the night--perfect delivery.

It's not a blowjob it's a blowjoy? I am still laughing! Loved that and will probably put this phrase into my rotation too.

Somehow, Samberg makes me laugh just by being present on the screen (sort of what Alec Baldwin does for me). His Daiquiri Girl short wasn't *really* funny but it made me chuckle throughout. But, when they were scrolling the commentary on the screen, the only thing I could focus on was that the punctuation was outside the quotes. You always put periods, commas, etc within quotes! I'm such an English nerd. One of my pet peeves that is always butchered.

Overall, Ashton did an OK job. Showing Demi in the beginning I though was kinda annoying. They can't be without one another for a night? Is that some Kabbalah rule?

Edited by Energiya Buran, Apr 14, 2008 @ 11:21 AM.

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

Easily the best show of the season. At least something funny and original in every skit. Refreshing after the walken episode which I had high hopes for, but was mainly strikeouts, other than the two-base hits for the Walken Family and Googly Eyes skits.

Cameron nailed her cougar character, though it took me about a minute to figure out it was her. Still amazed they managed to get the blowjoy joke past whoever isn't manning th censor X-ray machine these days.

Hate the political cold opening every (and I do mean every) show, but the Robert Byrd impression was worth sitting through the rest. "I've served in the senate for 119 years, and through the administrations of all but 6 presidents" And I'd be willing to bet he actually damned well did try to get the Iraqi Museum for Wheeling, WV. Love that old fancy-talking, Constitution-worshipping pork-barelling SOB.

Never thought I'd see a Jamie Lee Curtis impression, but Wiig is uber-talented, and apprarently in need of some "Oops, I Crapped My Pants" ™, adult garments.

The Mellow Show rocked, in a mellow way, especially given that allof Jack Johnson's deceased pets wore puka shells or Goretex vests.

Showing Demi in the beginning I though was kinda annoying. They can't be without one another for a night? Is that some Kabbalah rule?

If Kabbalah is Hebrew for "insecure cougar" then yeah.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Hader as Byrd was hilarious. It has oft been said that Byrd would run over his mother for a road project.

Ashton's pretty strong...not easy to carry a full grown woman stretched out like that. New admiration!

Death by Chocolate was delightful.

vanityproject

vanityproject

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 3:17 PM

And "Amy" is Pure Prairie League.

I sit corrected. Dang.

While I understand some find Cameron Diaz "attractive" and "hilarious," I've never understood the allure. Her cougar was more "Charo" than funny, which just brought me back to pre-adolescent Saturday nights at home watching the Love Boat/Fantasy Island juggernaut programming block. She took me out of the sketch because she was so over-the-top. Meanwhile, Amy, Kristen and Casey totally reminded me of the women from either coast of Bravo's "Real Housewives of...." In fact, mrs. vanityproject thought Kristen looked just like RHNYC's Alex.

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 3:19 PM

Her cougar was more "Charo" than funny, which just brought me back to pre-adolescent Saturday nights at home watching the Love Boat/Fantasy Island juggernaut programming block.

For a minute there I thought it WAS Charo! I was half expecting a goochie goochie goochie then break out with a guitar solo. If that wasn't a Charo impersonation, then I will eat my poo (30R).

MrHaha

MrHaha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 3:30 PM

Opening: OK, so everybody and their brother gives Obama a free pass. We get it. New joke, please.

Monologue: Not terribly amusing, and I felt kind of ripped off when the Falconer was mentioned but we didn't actually get a Falconer sketch. But at least Ashton got to make a shout-out to BATG. Now if only someone had gotten to grill him about how they royally effed up his show this year...

The Cougar Den: It's the first sketch of the night to actually feature the host, and you have a cameo appearance first that takes up more airtime than the host's involvement in the sketch? Weird. But I am totally gonna ask MrsHaha for a "blowjoy", just to see how she reacts.

Bouncer: The central joke in this sketch (the bouncer letting all of those losers in but making Ashton wait outside) came too early and got lame really quickly. The "Black guy on That 70's Show" joke was good, but it took too much setup to get there.

Digital Short: Here's an idea - if you can't get your real Digital Short done in time, don't make a half-assed one and expect us to laugh at the fact that you admit it sucks. Seriously, a rerun of a parody ad from an earlier episode would have beat this.

Jamie Lee Curtis: Grownups pooping in their pants aren't really good fodder for comedy in my opinion.

Weekend Update: ENOUGH with Nicholas Fehn already. it's the same joke every time. We especially didn't need this in the same WU where Kristen Wiig played a guest who also talked a lot and said absolutely nothing. That said, Wiig's character was at least funny due to the motor-mouth factor. Plus I know people who will say "Just kidding" when they say something in error, as if to insinuate that they did it on purpose to be funny and cover up their mistake. It's annoying when it gets overused, so I kind of saw where they were going with this character, but again, one-note joke.

Jukebox: This sketch kind of blew its comedy wad on the first story, which was hilarious. The rest were all downhill from there.

The Mellow Show: I laughed hysterically, just because it's always great to see musicians who I actually listen to get lampooned on this show. The first time I heard John Mayer, he reminded me of Dave Matthews, and the first time I heard Jack Johnson, he reminded me of John Mayer. I was half-expecting Jason Mraz to show up. What these guys actually did wasn't all that hilarious (Dave Matthews on Celebrity Jeopardy! was much funnier), but I wouldn't mind seeing this skit again with different musicians. (Hey, they should get Dave Matthews to host someday, I bet he could play some pretty off-the-wall sketch characters.)

Death by Chocolate: Sort of funny, in a "it's almost 1 AM and I'm really tired" sort of way.

Rusty Pony: Yeah, I've seen this "one person moves another person's limp body around" sketch before. It was called Whose Line Is It, Anyway? Except it was funnier, because it wasn't scripted.

I was excited for Ashton Kutcher to host, but this episode was a major letdown. Then I realized that the last time I got huge laughs out of Ashton Kutcher, it was because Justin Timberlake was playing Ashton Kutcher in that Punk'd sketch. "I'm Ashton Kutcher... AND I'M AWESOME!!!"

Circumvrent

Circumvrent

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 12:25 AM

The best thing about that "Falconer" reference ("Please tell Lorne!") is that I've heard that WF isn't a huge fan.

Really? Who's the driving force behind the Falconer, does anybody know?

Mary Jane Fields

Mary Jane Fields

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 3:28 AM

And "Amy" is Pure Prairie League..I had the 45, as I'm an oldster, too.

Not to get all nitpicky but I believe it's Aimee.

Death By Chocolate was sublime.

Cee-Lo might be the best soul singer currently breathing air.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 10:53 AM

Not to get all nitpicky but I believe it's Aimee.

It's Amie according to the official Web site.

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 11:22 AM

I get really frustrated that all the sketches aren't added to the SNL site or Hulu. I really want to watch all the different jukebox sketches. Does anyone know where I can find these? There have been three right? I know Kutcher this week. Rainn Wilson was the first one right? And I know there has been at least one other but I can't remember who it was.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 11:22 AM

The Robert Byrd impression reminded me that I always wanted to see a Senate sketch on one of the Sarah Michelle Gellar-hosted shows with Strom Thurmond in a Dracula outfit.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 12:00 PM

And I know there has been at least one other [jukebox sketch] but I can't remember who it was.

Zach Braff.

Phishbulb

Phishbulb

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 1:35 PM

Really? Who's the driving force behind the Falconer, does anybody know?

"The Falconer" was created and written by Eric Slovin and Leo Allen , two stand-up comedians who often work together as a double-act. They wrote for SNL from 2002 to 2005. This is probably why they haven't done a Falconer sketch in a while, although there was one on the Kevin Spacey show in May 2006, but maybe Slovin & Allen just came back as guest writers that week to write that sketch.

Looking at the SNL transcripts site, I see that they did a Falconer sketch at the dress rehearsal for the Rainn Wilson episode , but it was cut from the live show. Too bad, it sounds like a good one, and nicely meta ("Ken Mortimer discovers that his entire existence is a lie, and that he's nothing more than a recurring character on "Saturday Night Live.")

Slovin & Allen seemed to contribute some of the more bizarre, off-the-wall sketches during their tenure at SNL; another sketch they were responsible for was "Tennis Talk with Time-Traveling Scott Joplin".

Edited by Phishbulb, Apr 15, 2008 @ 1:36 PM.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 1:46 PM

...another sketch they were responsible for was "Tennis Talk with Time-Traveling Scott Joplin."

"Look, I didn't travel in time to be mean to you, sweetheart. I travel in time to talk about women's tennis. But I find myself sitting here with two champions, and one overexposed calendar girl with no second serve."

Love that.

I really want to watch all the different jukebox sketches. Does anyone know where I can find these?

Seconded.

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

The Tennis Talk sketches are, perhaps more than anything, a bellwether as to someone's comedic tastes. In the TWOP book, they are praised as a hilarious example of post-Update fare. In a book about Emmy-winning programs, a writer used the sketch as an example of SNL's poor quality now as compared to the past. I actually like the Agassi one a lot better than the first one, but the first one is arguably more surrealistic due to its randomness.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

Another Post Update skit was the Matthew Fox one about the son wanting to study math to the dismay of his history professor parents. That might be the funniest skit this show has done in years.

MeghanV

MeghanV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 3:44 PM

Showing Demi in the beginning I though was kinda annoying. They can't be without one another for a night?

I thought they stepped on the laugh, which was too bad. But at SNL, and friends and family of the host (esp if the friends and family are famous and can't really sit in the audience w/o it being distracting) usually hang out backstage. The room you see her coming out of is where the host & musical guests' people would actually be.

divinemadness

divinemadness

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 11:52 PM

Another Post Update skit was the Matthew Fox one about the son wanting to study math to the dismay of his history professor parents. That might be the funniest skit this show has done in years.

I totally agree. I LOVED that sketch and felt it was so underrated. It probably isn't my favorite, but it's easily in my top 10 of the best several years.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 12:35 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Alec Baldwin carpool sketch post-Update, too? And as I recall, so were Hip-Hop Kids and the first sitting-on-the-porch-drinking-coffee sketch (with Jamie Pressley, I do believe).

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 8:13 AM

I wondered how this year was stacking up in terms of recurring characters, so here's the stats so far (impressions are generally not considered unless it's a very defined sketch):

Penelope (Wiig): 2
Jeff the Stagehand (Sudeikis, with Hader as director): 1
Lyle Kane (Forte): 2 (one is a cameo)
The Dakota Fanning Show (Poehler, Thompson): 1, although Poehler played Dakota Fanning in another sketch
Macgruber (Forte, with Rudolph or Wiig): 2
Vinny Vedecci (Hader, with Armisen as director): 1
Bronx Beat (Poehler, Rudolph): 1
Larry King Live (Armisen): 2
Amber (Poehler): 1
Ed Mahoney (Sudeikis): 1
Virginiaca Hastings (Thompson): 1
Target Lady (Wiig): 1
Laser Cats (Hader, Samberg): 1

Update Guests
Nicholas Fehn (Armisen): 3
Barbara Birmingham (Thompson): 1
Tim Calhoun (Forte): 1

Yes, Nicholas Fehn is the most recurring character this season.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 12:21 PM

Yes, Nicholas Fehn is the most recurring character this season.

Wow, that's disappointing. Have they done anything new with him in any of those skits? At least by now you'd think they'd use him to satirize Truthers.

MrHaha

MrHaha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

Time to bring back the Two A-Holes already.

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2008 @ 7:48 PM

This is probably why they haven't done a Falconer sketch in a while, although there was one on the Kevin Spacey show in May 2006

That was the one with the multiple Falconers, as they kept time-traveling back to meet their past selves, until you had a huge mob of bearded Falconers (including Kenan and all the female cast members) all yelling "Oh, Donald" in that high-pitched Will Forte voice. Probably the hardest I've laughed at an SNL sketch in years.

Never get tired of that character. Also, Donald is the best SNL animal puppet since Toonces. (though a long way from best NBC animal puppet: i. e. Triumph).

With regards to great idea-out-of-nowhere sketches: one favorite was when Al Gore played Willy Wonka's accountant brother, miffed that Willy was giving away the chocolate factory to a ten year old: "We're oompa-loompa doompity screwed!"

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 12:23 AM

The "Death By Chocolate!" scenes was one of those things when you realize "Wait a sec...they're only doing something about this line now? Huh."

I know, right? And I wasn't bothered by the whole murder thing, but I was bothered by the makeup and his expressions. SO creepy! I'm now locking the bathroom door when I shower because that's when I'm the most vulnerable, and I'll be damned if those drawn on smile lines are the last things I see before I die.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 1:43 AM

I know, right? And I wasn't bothered by the whole murder thing, but I was bothered by the makeup and his expressions.

I agree. Murder doesn't bother me. But the smile line and his impish joy sold the bit. There was something so totally sociopathic about him. I loved in DbC2 where he calmly places the gun in the patient's hand and then just go nuts and attacks the tubes. He doesn't merely rip them out or pulls the plug. It's like he was bothered by the tubes themselves.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Apr 17, 2008 @ 1:46 AM.