Saturday Night Live: More Cowbell!

• Please log in to reply

25805 replies to this topic

AlissaBeth

AlissaBeth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:37 PM

Ugh. I don't think the Jim Carrey one was one of the best at all. His monologue, especially, was super lame. I thought the whole Top 50 concept was pretty suspect though, because, as someone noted earlier, these were all the same ones we always see on Comedy Central. Or, I guess, saw on Comedy Central before it moved to E!.

One of the episodes that I saw during the marathon that always cracks me up is the Jennifer Aniston one. The SATC parody was pretty funny, if for nothing else than her huge prosthetic nose. And my very favorite was the one with the Dickensian street urchin lawn ornaments, where she and Rachel Dratch sing those hilarious songs.

I would decapitate a whore for yoooouuuuu!

She's hosting again soon. I can't wait to see her. I think she has awesome comic timing and is fun to watch. I bet she's the only one of the Friends who will go on to have a successful movie career.

Sean C

Sean C

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:26 PM

Toga, I think Wayne's World was the best SNL movie. It managed to take the sketch-comedy characters from the confines of their one set out into the real world without missing a beat, and they were surrounded with a quality supporting cast (most notably, a note-perfect Rob Lowe). That the film was popular enough to garner a sequel (which, while inferior to the first, is still pretty damn funny) is amazing, considering the usual SNL results.

And one can't forget The Blues Brothers, although they didn't really have to worry about making a five-minute sketch into a two-hour movie; they pretty much got to write a story from scratch to fit two costumes that SNL actors wore when singing. The movie overstayed its welcome a little, length-wise, but when it was good, it was very, very good. (We will, however, pretend Blues Brothers 2000 never happened.)

The post-Wayne SNL movies don't do anything for me. For the most part, they were trying to duplicate Wayne's World's success (and avoid Coneheads's downfall) by making movies out of currently popular characters and striking while the iron is hot, but that turned them into rush-jobs that didn't quite work out. I love "The Ladies Man" in five-minute talk-show doses, but the movie got old quickly.

The insistence that these characters have enough meat to become film characters is symptomatic of the recurring-character-based trend of the last few years. Someone made a comment in the Shales/Miller book that if you were to make a list of recurring characters who appeared more than five or seven times, the majority of the names would come from the 1995-present period, and that a lot of the old "classic" characters weren't on as often as you think they were. The heavy reliance on recurring characters these days runs the double-risk of the character overstaying his welcome and taking up space where new-concept sketches could hit bigger than tired retreads of old characters.

There are some current characters I still like to see as often as possible (like "Wake Up Wakefield" and Donatella Versace--two examples probably influenced by my love of all things Maya), but there's not really any reason there needed to be as many "Brian Fellow" sketches as there were "Church Lady" appearances (I have no numbers to back that up; I'm just using them as examples extrapolated from the argument in the preceding paragraph).

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:40 PM

Hey, what about Office Space? Remember, Milton and Lumbergh first appeared in animated form in short films Mike Judge made for SNL in the early 90s.

Also, Tim Robbins first played Bob Roberts in a short film that aired on SNL in 1986, but I'm not sure that really counts.

Sean C

Sean C

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:03 PM

I never think of Office Space, though I love it. I don't really think of "Milton" as an SNL product, though; it was more like (as far as I could tell) SNL was an outlet for the "Milton" shorts, the way MTV's Liquid Television was the original outlet for "Beavis & Butthead" shorts, and the character would have existed somehow without necessarily being on SNL.

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:38 PM

That's very likely, but the same could probably be said of many of the characters. I know Ed Grimley originated on SCTV, and as I recall Molly Shannon said in Shales and Miller that she created Mary Katherine Gallagher while she was in college.

Speaking of Ed Grimley, he starred in a Saturday morning cartoon show called The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley back in the 80s. But of course SNL characters who appeared in other TV shows is another topic altogether. (And that may be the only one, come to think of it. Something to look into.)

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

Because of the comments here, I went out and bought the SNL book (the Shales one) and as others have said, it is completely engrossing. I certainly will look at the program a bit differently now that I know a little of what goes on behind the scenes! I've watched this show since it started when I was in high school, and although I know everyone harks back to the earliest years, I am always underwhelmed when I see those eps now...I think the writing in later years is sharper, although I agree that they repeat characters too much. There is a quiet excellence in actors like Will Ferrill, Daryl Hammond, and that ilk -- they impress me far more than the more flamboyant characters.

Just my 2 cents...!

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 6:20 PM

With all the classic TV that's coming out on DVD in complete form (the complete first and second seasons of Dick Van Dyke, etc. etc.), I wonder why they're not reissuing SNL that way. I'm not into "theme compilations." I want the complete shows, bad parts and all, starting with the first five years. I can't be the only one.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:01 PM

No comments on the Kelly Ripa re-run? Aside from the Horatio-as-Jimmy Buffett show-killing segment, it really was a good episode. Besides, hearing Chris Parnell call that cute puppy "a douchebag" never gets old. Or OutKast, for that matter.

LadySheherazade

LadySheherazade

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:58 AM

One thing I really liked on the Jim Carrey episode was the Lifeguard sketch, mainly for the sight gag of Tim Meadows doing laps in the hot tub. The first time I saw it, I lost it when he got across the tub and changed direction, drawing in a huge breath as he did it.

My fave part of that sketch is Jim banging on Will's chest then looking up to the sky screaming "NOOOO, IT'S NOT YOUR TIME YET!!!" That always has me rolling. Actually, the entire sketch has me in stitches. :D

Naxus

Naxus

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:22 AM

No comments on the Kelly Ripa re-run? Aside from the Horatio-as-Jimmy Buffett show-killing segment, it really was a good episode.

Man, that was bad. Was that the same episode where Jimmy (Fallon) made the ill-received joke about Rod Roddy telling people to "come on down!" to Hell?

I love Jimmy and Tina on Weekend Update, and I think they're the best anchors that they've had in quite a few years (and I loved Norm MacDonald), but there was some bad stuff in that one. I did think the show was really good other than that.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:38 AM

The Jim Carrey ep. was number one? Really?

I didn't see the Kelly Ripa episode when it first aired. I thought the hair color "with traces of crack cocaine" bit was hilarious, especially when she's dancing and making those "oop, oop" noises. The worst parts? Horatio "Humor-Killer" Sanz as Jimmy Buffett (hello, mute button!) and the unfunny Rod Roddy joke that would not die.

morecowbell

morecowbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:05 AM

My roommate said that Kelly Ripa makes her eyes bled so she begged me to change the channel. I made her watch the monologue (for the Dance Party USA bit which we did giggle at) and the hair dye with crack ad. Her mouth just fell open and we both laughed till we almost puked.

Edited by morecowbell, Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:06 AM.

JoBu

JoBu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 11:32 AM

No comments on the Kelly Ripa re-run? Aside from the Horatio-as-Jimmy Buffett show-killing segment, it really was a good episode. Besides, hearing Chris Parnell call that cute puppy "a douchebag" never gets old. Or OutKast, for that matter.

Anyone who thinks Chris Parnell is not funny needs to see that sketch (and any time he raps). Repeatedly insulting the puppy walks the fine line of funny/mean that defines many of the best SNL moments.

The show started with Darrell Hammond as GWB. While I think Hammond is clearly a better impressionist than Will Ferrell, Ferrell is still the definitive GWB....and "strategery" is still the one word that sums up GWB.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

I think Parnell is hilarious, but I always change the channel when he raps.

Toga

Toga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:16 PM

I always thought Will Ferrell was funnier insulting dogs (See: Dissing Your Dog) than Chris Parnell.

holdencaulfield2003

holdencaulfield2003

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:53 PM

January host news
http://www.nbcmv.com...aynightliv.html

Aklewis33

Aklewis33

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:39 PM

The worst parts? Horatio "Humor-Killer" Sanz as Jimmy Buffett (hello, mute button!) and the unfunny Rod Roddy joke that would not die.

WORD! It was just in horrible taste, I realize that is what we expect from SNL, but it was so horribly unfunny and Jimmy would not.let.it.end! Couple that with the Jimmy Buffett scene and I think that had to be the worst FallonFey WU.

ree97

ree97

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:20 PM

Ugh ... my stupid NBC affiliate is going to show a telathon instead of the Nick/Jessica episode. I hate that they can not show national programming!

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 5:26 PM

Ugh ... my stupid NBC affiliate is going to show a telathon instead of the Nick/Jessica episode. I hate that they can not show national programming!

That sucks, but IMO, on normal terms, maybe you'll be thankful.

Ten-to-one they do an Apprentice parody. It's so obvious, seeing as how Hammond's in his ninth year and still on the show.

public defender

public defender

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

Ten-to-one they do an Apprentice parody. It's so obvious, seeing as how Hammond's in his ninth year and still on the show.

Yeah, but it will be sad not so see Phil Hartman do Donald Trump. 5 years and I'm still pissed about Phil.

Nick & Jessica? Ugh.

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:37 PM

I thought the Rod Roddy joke was funny, dammit.

Been a pretty decent season, actually, except for Hammond's horrible, horrible Bush impersonation. They need to get that fixed; an election's coming up. (And Jeff Richards' Howard Dean was just as bad, so I'm a little nervous about Election 2004 on SNL).

BTW, I've caught a little "MADtv" for the first time now that it's on Comedy Central. I have to say it's no better than SNL.

OMGItsKane

OMGItsKane

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 7:59 PM

FUnniest SNL moment to me ever involved, shockingly, COlin Quinn. He and Breuer were doing the Joe Pesci show and the real Pesci and Deniro show up and Deniro says something and Quinn, as DeNiro, says "I'm Colin Quinn, remember? Remote Control?" His delivery and "fear" was just so hilarious.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:06 PM

I'm considering writing an angry letter to E! reading:
'Show more SNL or the Hollywood Stories get it.'

iron chef

iron chef

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:18 PM

5 years and I'm still pissed about Phil.

Try being a "Simpsons" fan. I can't believe I can't hear him say "Hi, I'm Troy McClure!" or "Lionel Hutz here!" anymore.

*sniffles*

Toga

Toga

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:39 PM

Ha! Loved the "Friends" spoof. Especially Joey.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:40 PM

I knew she was going to forget the coat!

roybetter

roybetter

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:41 PM

"We've got a great show tonight. My nipples are here!"

Was I the only one who heard this?

LegallyBlonde

LegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:41 PM

The Trump opening was great..."some of the great palaces of Iraq." heee!

And double-hee to Ross coming out of the closet. But what was up with that jacket?

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:42 PM

I think the monologue would've been better had they had the cast come out to sing the theme song for Friends. Or better yet, the theme song to Cheers.

riding the ho train

riding the ho train

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

Was I the only one who heard this?

What? Sorry I was distracted by the nipples.

The Britney skit could have been so much better. Seriously? My students could come up with better jokes about her getting married.

Edited by riding the ho train, Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:01 AM.