NewsRadio: Refidgamator So So Messy

• Please log in to reply

4385 replies to this topic

doobie_keebler

doobie_keebler

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:42 PM

I love the new subtitle! It's Dave's Stargate Defender top score, right?

When I saw the subtitle, my first thought was, "Huh?" Oh, the shame, the shame!

I still can't remember the exact context in which the score was mentioned. Can anyone without such an embarassing mental block help me out?

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 7:43 AM

When I saw the subtitle, my first thought was, "Huh?"

Mine too. I don't have to turn in my Jimmy James Rockin' Rangers Brigade badge, do I? Thanks for the hint.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:42 AM

Unless someone can post the Stargate Defender quote sooner, I'll look at the tape tonight and post it tomorrow. Seeing "Arcade" as many times as I have, I'm almost certain of the lines, but this way it'll be official.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:53 AM

I can't believe I didn't get the quote. I've only seen Arcade 1,248,500 times because its my favorite episode. Duh. Since I seem to be getting stupider, I'm off to take the SATs to make sure.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:07 AM

Since I seem to be getting stupider, I'm off to take the SATs to make sure.

Well, if you've turned 30...

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:11 PM

Theo was mentioned last week and I watched "Houses of the Holy" last night, so here's Lisa and Beth talking about the magic man...

Where have you been?
I just took an extra-long lunch with Theo--IF you know what I mean...
Ewww--THEO?
Jealous.
Disgusted.
That's what I thought at first, too--but once you get to know him, he's just so...
Disgusting.
He's intriguing--you know what I mean?
Not at all.
I know! I'm having trouble putting my finger on it, too--it's like he's so...
Disgusting.
Unpredictable--he's mysterious, he's full of surprises...
Oh, no.
What?
It's the magic tricks, isn't it?
No.
Yes, it is--you like a guy because he can do magic tricks.
No.
Yes.
No.
Yes. If he could juggle, you'd be pregnant by now.

jtoby

jtoby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:20 PM

All right, all right, just bash the fogies. :-) Hey, justjohn just listened to the Love Rollercoaster sample and I do recognize it. I'd like to say 'good times, good times', but stuck in a station wagon with an AM radio? Maybe not.

I think I'm going to have to retake the SATs as well since I totally missed the quote too. btw, just wanted to add that the Reese's peanut butter cup reference was the thing that truly cemented my Newsradio love. I had always liked it, but I can actually trace the love to that quote.

rack

rack

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

My buddy's a juggler who can do some magic tricks (but doesn't like to) so that episode always cracks me up.

I saw the one which has Matthew winning the New Hampshire quiz the other day -- priceless. I think it's Dave's deadpanning to Catherine that "no, it was the sexing up at lunchtime that did it" was the best.

lavar78hotmail

lavar78hotmail

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:10 PM

I swear, I disappear for a few days and everybody goes bitchcakes! Behold:

I spent half of high school playing Stargate Defender. Two solid years.
Two years, huh? Well, you must've been pretty good. What was your best score?
1,248,500 March 7th, 1983.
1.2 million? Wow! I mean ... is that good?
Yeah. Wisconsin offers very few distractions for a ... pale, friendless virgin.
No argument there. You got any, got any tips for me?
Yes! Save the humanoids!
Huh?
Just, just, just try to imagine them as members of your real-life family that way you'll make sure nothing bad happens to them.
Save the humanoids? OK, champ, I'll try to check that (out?)...
-- Exit Jimmy
It's not him the machine wants. It's me.
-- Enter Beth with an assload of quarters --
I'll just leave these right here in case you need 'em.

Another of Arcade's many gems:
Well, they aren't what you would call conventionally tasty.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:25 PM

I always wondered how they made the sound effects of those gorgeous, crunchy, vending machine sandwiches.

Mmmmmm...just like Mom used to make.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:09 AM

Well, lavar beat me to it, but so my effort won't be totally wasted, here's a couple lines right before Dave says he spent half of high school playing "Star Trek Invader"...

Look, once you put your first quarter in that thing, it will consume your every waking moment, it will haunt you in your sleep, it will irreversibly ruin your life.
'Kay, Dave--is there something you wanna tell me?

lavar78hotmail

lavar78hotmail

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

Well, lavar beat me to it, but so my effort won't be totally wasted

Dude, watching "Arcade" is exactly the opposite of a wasted effort.

That scene is even better on my DVDs because there aren't any commercials. After it ends, the very next line is Lisa perkily saying, "I've decided to retake the SATs," which is just hilarious. The laughs just keep on coming.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

After it ends, the very next line is Lisa perkily saying, "I've decided to retake the SATs"

In the uncut NBC version, doesn't the scene begin with Lisa walking into Dave's office, planting a kiss on him, and Dave commenting on her good mood? I don't watch my UPN tapes as often as I do the A&E ones, but I'm pretty sure there's more to the scene before Lisa's SAT comment. I still preferred A&E's cut, since they left in the Quisp cereal box scene.

lavar78hotmail

lavar78hotmail

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:28 PM

In the uncut NBC version, doesn't the scene begin with Lisa walking into Dave's office, planting a kiss on him, and Dave commenting on her good mood?

You might be right. That does sound familiar. The wait for uncut, pristine DVDs is maddening! Damn you, Jimmy Hoffa!

IvoryChopsticks

IvoryChopsticks

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

I had another tape break (damn you VHS) and now am want these DVDs even more. Sigh. All I have are random fangirl non-sequitars here today. Matthew, after Joe has electrocuted him with the train set, "again, again, again." One of my all time favorite TV moments.

Edited because I found the previous mention of the reason for the DVD delay, so no need to link twice!

Edited by IvoryChopsticks, Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:34 PM.

Doctor Funk

Doctor Funk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

Happy Return from the Holidays, all.

Surely my home was not the only one where we sang "Something something, Madeline Albright" on Christmas Eve.

I still miss Phil.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:12 PM

Excellent...love the new title. "Just because we are Canadian does not mean we are spies!" is one of my favorite quotes from the series.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

lavar, I'll check my UPN version tonight to make sure. What A&E cut wasn't a huge deal--in general, their cuts were less harmful than UPN's. UPN would snip out lines at random throughout an episode instead of making one larger edit and leaving the rest of the ep untouched.

"again, again, again."

One of the best moments in "Christmas".

In case anyone doesn't remember where the new subheading came from...

Yes, it's true, Dave--if indeed that is his real name--may not know who the 11th president was.
James Polk.
Or who won the '67 World Series.
St. Louis Cardinals.
Or what the capitals of Arizona, Arkansas, and North Dakota are.
Phoenix, Little Rock, and Bismarck.
Or what the state flower, bird, and motto of Hawaii are.
Hibiscus, Nene Goose, and "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness".
Bill, WHAT is your point?
I don't remember...but I think I've proven that Dave is actually very well-versed in Americana.
Thank you!
Maybe a little TOO well-versed...
Excuse me? Listen, if you are insinuating that I am a spy or that any member of my family is a spy, then you're way off base! Look, just because we're Canadian does NOT mean we are spies!

Edited by justjohn, Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:25 PM.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:57 PM

Hee. I'm so glad it's time to go home. I couldn't quite control the burst of laughter when I read our new subheading. Dave's spy paranoia is one of my (many) favorite moments from this show.

rack

rack

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:51 PM

I've decided to retake the SATs!

Good for you! I'm trying out for the drama club!

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:54 PM

Dave the paranoid Canadian was pure comedy gold.

rack

rack

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:46 PM

This whole thing with the Mad Cow disease has been reminding me of Dave all day. "Just because we're Canadian doesn't mean we have bovine spongiform encephelopathy!"

JD shoulda been MD

JD shoulda been MD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:32 PM

I love how we get new title quotes like, every day.

Arg, not me! Since I've returned to the working world, I can't check in often enough. I missed the Stargate Defender score heading! Must devise a cunning plan or crazy caper to sneak a peek at the boards while at the office...

Mrs Heavyfoot

Mrs Heavyfoot

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:57 PM

Ooh....maybe we can get Janet Reno in a blimp.

MrCecil

MrCecil

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:10 PM

I'd like the rotating titles more if I didn't love "Refrigemater so messy..." so much.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:50 AM

OK, lavar, here's the missing "Arcade" bit:

(LISA WALKS INTO DAVE'S OFFICE)

Hello.
Hello.

(SHE WALKS BEHIND HIS DESK AND KISSES HIM)

I just want to thank you.
Oh, for what?
Well, that sarcastic comment you made about the SATs really helped me put things in perspective.
Great, so I assume you've come to your senses.
Yes...

(HERE'S WHERE A&E's VERSION BEGAN)

I have decided to re-take the SATs.
Good for you. I'm trying out for the drama club.

Edited by justjohn, Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:53 AM.

jtoby

jtoby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

Has anyone else wanted to retake the SATs or is that just me? Ever since they started grading on a curve...

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:21 PM

God no! I took them once in 5th grade, and then twice in high school. No more SATs! I am the anti-Lisa. I'm Dave. :)

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 6:35 PM

Similar story here, Pulpbomb, except my first time was in the 7th grade. Anyone who wants to take the SATs for the fun of it makes me laugh. :)

lavar78hotmail

lavar78hotmail

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 8:40 PM

Thanks, justjohn!

jtoby, I'm with you. They "re-centered" the test right after I took it! I wanted to ace it, but I was too cheap to pay for it again.