NewsRadio: Refidgamator So So Messy

• Please log in to reply

4385 replies to this topic

vengeful iago

vengeful iago

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 7:26 PM

Speaking of guest stars, did the actor who played Mr. James's nephew show up twice?

I'm watching Chocks and I think he's also one of Dave's friends.

lavar78hotmail

lavar78hotmail

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 8:10 PM

Yes, David Cross was originally Theo in Houses Of The Holy (again, my favorite guest star).

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 9:37 PM

One last post for 2003 (the drinking has begun, so hopefully my grammar's OK). For you Matthew fans:

Sports, huh? Yeah, man, I love sports. Hey, did you guys hear they got a whole cable channel JUST for sports now?

vengeful iago

vengeful iago

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 11:41 PM

Yes, David Cross was originally Theo in Houses Of The Holy (again, my favorite guest star).

Yep, Theo!

Beth, you forgot your magic mouth-coin!

lavar78hotmail

lavar78hotmail

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:46 AM

First post of 2004! I think I'll go with my favorite:

Bill: The eyes are the windows to the skull, my friend.
Dave: Soul.
Bill: For those who have one, yes.

Happy New Year, my sweet bitches! DVDs come out this year!

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

All you David Cross fans, be sure to catch him as Tobias Funke on Arrested Development, Sundays at 9:30 on FOX. It's a great show. Tell your friends!

Hmm. I can think of no quote. Hmm. Ok, here's one:

[After Matthew gets a "promotion."]
Bill: Is Matthews superior to me?
Dave: Genetically or in this office?
Bill: In this office?
Dave: No.
Bill: Ok... how about genetically?
Dave: He is ambidextrous.
Bill: Freak!

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

A quick one, since things are kinda hectic today. I'll be one of the probably eight or nine people on Earth at work tomorrow, so more then.

Dave and "British Bill" talking about his lady friend, Linda:

Bill, I thought you were gonna tell her!
I have bigger things to worry about now, Dave!
Like what?
Like finding two elderly British people who haven't had dinner yet!

JD shoulda been MD

JD shoulda been MD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:49 PM

Speaking of David Cross, he's also going to be on the next "Celebrity Poker" (my new favorite show). I hope he kicks ass.

vengeful iago

vengeful iago

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:00 PM

saving this thread from page 2 ...

Children need structure, they need order and discipline.
Were you raised in a P.O.W. camp?
That's very funny, but you know, my parents had me reading by the time I was three.
You know how many times you've told me that?
Thirty-seven. See? That is a result of successful child-rearing. Do you really think that Bill is going to spend three hours a day with a pack of flashcards teaching his child the difference between integrated and non-integrated algebraic functions?
No ... but raising children is about love. I mean, didn't you have any love when you were growing up?
Yes, of course we had love ... at very judiciously determined intervals. I'm sure Bill is just going to lavish it on them all the time!

I love my screwed up Lisa.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:00 AM

OK, so awhile ago some of us were discussing Beth's apparent non sequitur in "In Through The Out Door" (she walks into Dave's office and asks if he's going to a lesbian banquet). UPN cut out a bunch of dialogue that made her comment make no sense until I saw the A&E version. At least one person mentioned that they liked the scene as a non sequitur, so he/she might not want to read the following.

Here's the entire scene (all Mr. James and Dave until Beth at the very end):

Guess what? I have whittled my list of potential wives down to...23 women.
So you've eliminated 13 women already?
Yeah...well, you know, flu season's been brutal on some of the old ones. I got my sight set on that chanteuse, uh, Melissa Etheridge--I mean, man, that woman has EVERYTHING!
I believe she's gay, sir.
Yeah, she is a house afire!
Yeah...I believe she's gay, uh, a lesbian, a gay lesbian-type woman, sir.
Oh, really?
Uh-huh.
Well, I guess I'm down to 22. How, uh, how gay is she?
Oh, she's right up there with K.D. Lang, sir.
HAHAHAHAHA...oh, shoot.
Yeah.
Oh, Dave, Dave, uh...Bill's gonna do a speech at the Broadcasting Society tonight. I told him I'd be there, but now looks like I can't make it. Can you sub for me?
Uh, sure, sure.
Good. I gotta get outta here--God bless.

(MR. JAMES LEAVES AND BETH ENTERS)

So, you're going to a lesbian banquet, huh, Dave?

Edited by justjohn, Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:06 AM.

epiphany

epiphany

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:28 PM

Since we're on the verge of crossing over to page two, I figure now is a good of time as any to de-lurk. (I'm sure this isn't word for word- my Newsradio tapes were lost to an ex-boyfriend.)

"I believe there isn't any problem that can't be solved by attaching the restroom key to a large plastic crate and keeping it in my office."

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:41 PM

Ah, yes, from the great "I don't wanna be the boss" debate...

Sorry about your lost NewsRadio tapes, epiphany. Just typing the words "lost NewsRadio tapes" gave me the shivers...

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:24 PM

I've decided to model my career path after Dave Nelson.
I have decided to become...Pure Evil.

Edited by DoctorNeon, Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:25 PM.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:15 PM

Joe and Matthew, also from "In Through The Out Door":

Alright, fine--you wanna make a bet?
Yeah.
OK. I'm thinkin' of a number between one and five--you try to guess it.
Yeah, but it's gotta be for cash.
10 bucks.
OK.
And I'll give you 100-1 odds.
Oh, that means if you win you get 10 bucks, but if I win...
You get a thousand.
Wow, I'd be stupid not to...
Right, right...you ready? Ready--go!
Uh, four?
No, three--good try, though.

RebStein

RebStein

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:23 PM

Gazizza, my dilsnoofuses. Some of you may remember me posting in this thread a while back. I read it daily even though I don't post often.

What brings me back is something from "Complaint Box." I never quite got (at least, I don't think I got) what was so funny about the comment(s)

You got peanut butter in my chocolate. You got chocolate in my peanut butter. Together, they taste like crap.

However, my mother and I missed some holiday festivities as we both had flu-like symptoms, and we spent a good day or so watching TV Land, where retro commercials are aired. A Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercial aired, where one boy was eating chocolate, another was eating peanut butter, and they crashed into each other. One said, "Hey, you got peanut butter in my chocolate!" The other said, "You got chocolate in my peanut butter!" but then they both ate what they had and said "MMM!" or something of that nature.

I'd never seen/heard of this commercial before (I'm 17), but "Complaint Box" immediately sprung to mind when I saw the commercial. Assuming the writers did this intentionally and presumably think Reese's peanut butter cups taste like crap, had any of you known this when watching "Complaint Box"? Was I merely out of the loop due to my age?

lannie

lannie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:53 PM

However, my mother and I missed some holiday festivities as we both had flu-like symptoms, and we spent a good day or so watching TV Land, where retro commercials are aired. A Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercial aired, where one boy was eating chocolate, another was eating peanut butter, and they crashed into each other. One said, "Hey, you got peanut butter in my chocolate!" The other said, "You got chocolate in my peanut butter!" but then they both ate what they had and said "MMM!" or something of that nature.

I saw that, too! Also, it's important to note that the redhead in the commercial is no other than Don "Ralph Malph" Most. (Okay, only I find it amusing, I guess.)

I'd never seen/heard of this commercial before (I'm 17), but "Complaint Box" immediately sprung to mind when I saw the commercial. Assuming the writers did this intentionally and presumably think Reese's peanut butter cups taste like crap, had any of you known this when watching "Complaint Box"? Was I merely out of the loop due to my age?

Well, I'm 22, so I was out of the loop as well until seeing that commercial--excuse me, "Retromercial". For the longest time, I thought it had to do with a P-Funk lyric or something. I guess that reference went over my head...

MeeshyPeeshy22

MeeshyPeeshy22

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:21 PM

Heh, I never had any clue what the "chocolate in my peanut butter" stuff meant either (I'm 15). I just laughed because it was NewsRadio, and it sounded funny.

jtoby

jtoby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:25 PM

Ok, thanks for making me feel old. :-) Yes, it was totally related to that commercial, although whether the writers really thought Reese's peanut butter cups tasted like crap I can't say. Just the reference cracked me up the first time I saw it. Just as another age point, I just turned 32 a couple of days ago and remember that commercial from when I was young. The one I didn't get was

I have doobie in my funk (which I assume is from some reference to the Parliament Funkadelic's song Chocolate City

but I put that down to the fact that my parents didn't jump to that new technology called FM radio until the mid to late 80's. The horror of learning to drive in a brown wood panel station wagon with only an AM radio lives with me still.

vengeful iago

vengeful iago

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 3:42 AM

rescuing thread ...

No, you can't take of the dress.
What?
You can't, because if you take of the dress, everyone will know that I was jealous because you look prettier than me in it and that I'm crazy.
But you ARE crazy.
Yes, but they don't have to KNOW that!

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:27 PM

Next person to post for the sake of 'bumping' the topic gets the nines.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 4:10 PM

jtoby, I also remember that Reese's commercial. And, as far as "Chocolate City" goes, the Ohio Players (with "Fire" and "Love Rollercoaster") were as funky as AM radio got in these parts when I was a kid (but they were ALL OVER Grand Funk...). I think the writers were a little too hip for their own good with that P-Funk reference.

RebStein

RebStein

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:23 PM

To anyone who receives the Boston FOX affiliate (FOX25), I came home from work this evening and was watching TV while my mother cooked dinner, and at 6, guess what was on FOX?

"Rose Bowl."

Kind of a random episode to start with, as our FOX hasn't aired NewsRadio in ages, but hey, I'll take what I'll get.

Maybe next Saturday at 6, NewsRadio will air again, so check your listings.

jtoby

jtoby

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:27 AM

RebStein, yay for you! Hope it's on next week as well. Today we had the New Hampshire one in the SF Bay Area on UPN 44.

JustJohn, thanks for making me feel less lonely in the upper age bracket. :-) Hmm, I don't think the stations my parents listened to had the Ohio Players. Don't think I recognize those songs. We did get to hear Horse With No Name, though! I always liked that song.

JD shoulda been MD

JD shoulda been MD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

Ok, thanks for making me feel old

You & me both, jtoby (and I'm only 28, dammit!). I loved that Reese's peanut butter cup ad when I was a kid, and thus I howled the first time I saw "Complaint Box." Delicious.

And though the Ohio Players rule, the RHCP cover of "Love Rollercoaster" was much better.

Edited by JD shoulda been MD, Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:36 AM.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:46 PM

Saturdays at 6? What kind of schedule nazi do we have here in Boston? Even FOX's stations suck!

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

jtoby, "Horse With No Name" came out a few years before those Ohio Players songs, so you'd probably recognize them if you heard them (check out the 30-second samples on Amazon or CDConnection, if you're curious). Or maybe your parents changed the station whenever the Ohio Players came on. Sort of like my mother whenever Elton's "The Bitch Is Back" came on when we were in the car. But my father never noticed the "B" word when I was driving around with him. Good times...

JD, the Chili Peppers did a cover of "Love Rollercoaster"? I'm gonna have to look for that.

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:02 PM

I think you'll find the Chili Pepper's version on the Beavis and Butthead movie soundtrack; that's where I remember it from.

I love the new subtitle! It's Dave's Stargate Defender top score, right?

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:16 PM

I loved that Reese's peanut butter cup ad when I was a kid, and thus I howled the first time I saw "Complaint Box."

Of course, it wasn't just the one commercial -- Reese's spend the better part of a decade milking that tag line.

ETA: I just got caught up in watching part of Valley of the Dolls on Oxygen, and I have to say, the similarity between Maura Tierney and the young Patty Duke is shocking.

Edited by lawtalkin'guy, Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:18 PM.

justjohn

justjohn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:39 PM

Thanks, cal331. It is on "Beavis & Butthead Do America". I don't know if 30 seconds is a fair test, but I'll take the original, JD.

Another thumbs-up here on the "Arcade" reference...

MeeshyPeeshy22

MeeshyPeeshy22

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:05 PM

Better Saturday at six than nothing, I suppose. I haven't seen it on TV in a while.

ETA: I love how we get new title quotes like, every day.

Edited by MeeshyPeeshy22, Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:16 PM.